Anyone remove your intake Silencer ducting for increase in HP, MPG?

I've heard of several guys taking their silencers out(specifically F-150s) and experience a little horse power, +1-2 MPG, and makes it sound pretty cool. Anybody have any experience with doing this? Would you imagine and bad side affects? I know it will void a warranty but I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks in Advance!?

I've heard of several guys taking their silencers out(specifically F-150s) and experience a little horse power, +1-2 MPG, and makes it sound pretty cool. Anybody have any experience with doing this? Would you imagine and bad side affects? I know it will void a warranty but I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks in Advance!?

I had the exhaust fall off a 1500 from the cat back due to rust. Sounded good and wasn't really loud. I never replaced it, later sold it as it was. People liked the sound :worthy: I didn't track mpg so cant help you there but the truck ran just fine without the muffler.

Personally I like my stuff as quiet as can be. It's much more comfortable that way.

Are you talking about the muffler, cats, or resonator? I took off my cat back system on my tundra and it was extremely loud and lost all my low end torque. I didn't notice any power increase, if anything I lost some...

I believe that he is talking about the massive amount of air silencing tubing and chambers added to the intake tract. I can see how removing this mess of tubing and its restricting airflow would improve performance, but I personally don't see how you would get a 1 to 2 mpg gallon gain. The stock air filter is so darn small for the size of the motor that any gain in the stock intake for flow is negated by that little bugger anyway. You are better off just biting the bullet and getting a cold air intake kit for the truck.

If you are really interested in getting better mileage out of an F-150, do what GM does from the factory to get good fuel mileage: stick an electric fan on that thing. Why FoMoCo doesn't do that from the get go is beyond me.

Ya I was talking about the silencer on the intake. on Fordf150.net theres some guys who have done it with good results and I haven't heard anything bad other than it might void the warranty, which I don't have to worry about. Are "Increased air takes" the same as cold air intake? If so how different? Whats better? Its time to get a new air filter and I don't want to buy one if it would be better to get a new system.

Ya I was talking about the silencer on the intake. on Fordf150.net theres some guys who have done it with good results and I haven't heard anything bad other than it might void the warranty, which I don't have to worry about. Are "Increased air takes" the same as cold air intake? If so how different? Whats better? Its time to get a new air filter and I don't want to buy one if it would be better to get a new system.

Removing the silencer baffles may help flow, but will increase racket.

Just don't wind up putting in one of those "Hot Air Intake" setups that has an open air filter element in the engine compartment.....what a scam that crap is.

Removing the silencer baffles may help flow, but will increase racket.

Just don't wind up putting in one of those "Hot Air Intake" setups that has an open air filter element in the engine compartment.....what a scam that crap is.

Thats dyno proven- sure some are junk because they lack heat shields that are effective, but the k&n units are the real deal- almost 20 hp increase on most applications.

Thats dyno proven- sure some are junk because they lack heat shields that are effective, but the k&n units are the real deal- almost 20 hp increase on most applications.

If it's pulling air from inside the engine compartment, it's a POS. Period.

There's a reason why so many semi's have the air filters OUTSIDE the body-colder air, colder filters, colder intake temps.

I t pulls air from outside through the grille.

The air cleaners are either hung from the side of the cowl or have an intake scoop feeding an engine mounted air cleaner through some duct work. None of the air is going through the radiator or intercooler.

Steve

Which means it passed through the radiator which means it hot.

??? ahhhh no?why would you plumb an air intake behind the radiator? That doesn't even make sense anyhow. Maybe you should read a little before you post! Bottom line, they work if they are done right. Chickenhauler is right about the cheap ones all over ebay- they are POS! The nice ones are the real deal. Dynos do not lie! It is east to figure out, as long as it is plumbed to let air from outside (which they are designed to do) then it will be effective in drawing in cold outside air.