Sign in to follow this  

help me pick out a bike everyone! PLEASE!

well i'm new to this part of thumpertalk, i've been ini the xr600/650 side for a good while now. i've had several bikes i started on an xl80 then xl200 then xr400 then xr650l and my last one was my tagged xr650r. i loved the 650L but it was really heavy, but it was smooth like my old 400 and 200. I'm lookin for something street legal but its not a necessity. i've read that the xr250l's can get upwards of 70mpg, that just makes me want one. how fast would i(a 6'4" 260lb guy) be able to cruise on one? also if i was to get another 400, what kind of gas mileage can you obtain out of one of these when you are cruising around? its NOT so much power i'm looking for or accelleration, but crusing speed and i guess suspension which brings me my next few questions....

these bikes are really getting my attention again because they are already have a title and all the xl line, i know they are dated but i was looking at xl250r's how do they compare to the xr250r's and xr250l's? and the next bike was the xl350? pro's and cons with thtis bike? how terrible and non adjjustable are the suspension set ups on these bikes with a guy my weight? Thanks sorry for all the q's at once!!!!

I not sure what you're looking for. Is it a tagged bike? An economical bike? Both? Neither?

A stock 250L will get killer fuel economy, but they seem to top out around 80mph. Keeping the speed below 60mph will put less load on the engine. Something like a 650L or 650R will easily cruise at 70, but will get mileage comparable to economy cars.

I had a '94 250L at one time and I really regret selling it. It wasn't a ball of fire, but it was still fun and got great economy, even when wailing on it. Think of a 250L as a lighter, less powerful 650L. I'm lucky to get 30mpg with my 600R.

i mostly want an economical bike, me ridinga 250 would that shorten the life of the bike? i never seemed to be able to kill mmy old xl200... my 650r would cruise nice at 85 haha but i was getting 35mpg and my 650l got about 42-48mpg i wish it just didn't weigh so dang much. i think i have it narrowed down to a xl350 or either another xr650l. does anyone know about the xl350? thanks for the answers head trauma you always answer my questions!

You're welcome. 👍

If you want a bike for economy above all else and will be riding more than 75% on street, then weight is not much of an issue for the rider or the fuel mileage. Riding style is responsible for a large portion of the economy. Displacement and power output is the other large part.

I found an old Honda press release that rates the 250L at 40km/L....which is 24.9mi/L....and there are 3.78L in a gallon, so 94mi/gal. :worthy:

man 90 mpg would be killer but thats with a 85lb japanese guy on there tucked down low haha, 6'4" 260lb hairy american winning machine might be a a lot worse than 90 i'd be happy with 60 though, but does anyone know anything about the old honda xl350's? they are much more in the budge and easier to find

Honda now has a plated CRF230L.

My XR400 gets about 45 mpg dual-sporting.

I've ridden an dual-sported XR250 and they are OK with the 6 speed tranny, unless you find a big hill to go up.

i mostly want an economical bike, me ridinga 250 would that shorten the life of the bike? i never seemed to be able to kill mmy old xl200... my 650r would cruise nice at 85 haha but i was getting 35mpg and my 650l got about 42-48mpg i wish it just didn't weigh so dang much. i think i have it narrowed down to a xl350 or either another xr650l. does anyone know about the xl350? thanks for the answers head trauma you always answer my questions!

I doubt it. It's a bullet proof proven motor. I am 230, and mine hauls me around just fine. I had it up to 75 mph over this past weekend and it was still pulling, allbeit, probably not much left though. It does 60 mph just fine. It is really quite nice off road, very light and nimble. I had an XR650L too, and it was tall and heavy. I replaced the fork oil and added 4psi of pressure to each tube, and added shock preload, and found the suspension to be adequate for me. One thing you will have to do if you find a stock one like I did, and that is, to modify the accelerator pump plunger spring by shortening it. Other wise the thing will bog off throttle. It improves the throttle repsonse too. I haven't bothered to rejet, as the stock setup is ok now. I found my XR250L with only 4400 miles on it and paid $1500 for it. Maybe I paid a little too much for it, but I felt like it was worth it with the condition it was in. I think the bike is a fine Dual Sport bike, and I have had a few, including a DRZ400S. Now granted, you are only about 35 lbs more than me, but it might make a difference with a 250, not sure about that. You might want to look at a DRZ400S. I have read of guys your size that have no problem with it hauling them around. And they get about 60mpg.