Sign in to follow this  

08 Piston Rings

Does the 08 high compression piston have 2 or 3 rings? Also, how many rings does the regular 12:5:1 piston have?

They all have 2 compression and an oil ring stock.

Here's a hot tip... you only need to run the top compression ring in the stock pistons.

Here's a hot tip... you only need to run the top compression ring in the stock pistons.

why is that?why do they give you two then ...

Williams, can you only run the top one o CP piston? I run a CP YZ piston in my 07 Wr 250F.

More info please! What do you gain by doing this?

Chris

If all you do is trail ride, leave them both in there.

But if you do any type of racing, you'll have a lot less friction with only the top compression ring. It's worth almost .2 of a HP in the upper RPM ranges.

You guys do realise what I mean by the "compression" rings right?

The oil ring set has 2 rings and a "spring" ring. don't mess with the oil ring set.

You can do this to any bike or piston.

• Like 1

Is it safe? Would the piston not wear faster with just the 1 comp ring? And would the 1 comp ring not wear faster than normal?

So the middle ring is unnecessary? In the long run do you lose some reliability and/or longevity?

I remember on my YZ 125 it also only ran 1 ring and I was told it only needed 1 from the yamaha guys. they said there was less drag therfore quicker revving and more power, but I also had to change the ring often as it wore quite fast. they also told me to change the piston often too.

So the middle ring is unnecessary? In the long run do you lose some reliability and/or longevity?

When I did your motor I thought I told you about this?

Yamaha is the only one that runs 2 compression rings in their 250f's. It doesn't lose any reliabilty at all.

Just run the top ring, and keep the oil ring assembly of course.

just for my refrence what is stock compression?

Depends what year? 13.5 = '08, '09 13.1= '07, '06, '05

Are you asking about PSI? You don't check that on a 4strk because of decompressor.

You may have, I am almost 100% positive I have short term memory loss. I don't remember if you did or not but next time I take it apart it's losing a ring for sure.