Sign in to follow this  

Valving adjustment

This question is for the suspension tuners. How much adjustment do you have in the valving? Example: Say my spring rates are correct and I tell you I'm going to run just enduros. Or if I'm running enduros with some MX with a lot of SX style jumps. Or enduros and MX with no big air. Would the adjustability for these three scenarios be in the basic valving or compensated for by the clickers? I'm planning on just enduro/hare scrambles and would like a plush ride for this, but there are a couple of local moto tracks that I might use for a mid-week practice.

This question is for the suspension tuners.

Would the adjustability for these three scenarios be in the basic valving or compensated for by the clickers? .

Both.....basically.

doc

I'd like to compare the compression damping with a carburetor. the clicker is the air screw while the BV and MV are needle and main jet...👍

This question is for the suspension tuners. How much adjustment do you have in the valving? Example: Say my spring rates are correct and I tell you I'm going to run just enduros. Or if I'm running enduros with some MX with a lot of SX style jumps. Or enduros and MX with no big air. Would the adjustability for these three scenarios be in the basic valving or compensated for by the clickers? I'm planning on just enduro/hare scrambles and would like a plush ride for this, but there are a couple of local moto tracks that I might use for a mid-week practice.

It is possible, now, to have a fork and shock that are closer to meeting all three of these scenarios than what we had in the past. In other words, I think we are now able to shift away from vertically tuned forks and shocks.

That said, you can't expect the same suspension to do everything perfectly, but there are a lot of guys such as yourself that want a more universal appeal or performance.

This, however, has to be addressed by updating the valving. The clicker settings only serve to function as a by-pass circuit, so as noted earlier, there is a given range in which they can perform and the compromises that they will present at each end of their adjustments.

To keep things simple, tuning has to address the requirements of bleed, then low, mid and high speed movements, then matters of bottoming. If you blueprint those five factors, you can develop a suspension that will maximize performance at nearly any forward speed or velocity.

This is actually a very important and current topic so I'm glad you brought you this up. This issue is - what sort of progress have we made in the last few years towards suspension systems and designs that are more or less speed sensitive?

[quote=DaveJ;685292

This, however, has to be addressed by updating the valving. The clicker settings only serve to function as a by-pass circuit, so as noted earlier, there is a given range in which they can perform and the compromises that they will present at each end of their adjustments.

Thanks for the reply. Would you suggest valving for the big hit then softening it up with the clickers for the trail or a plusher set-up and and tightening them for moto? The bike will be primarily on the trail (at race speeds) then on the track. I'm leaning toward a softer valving, but would hate to damage something at the track. The bike is a CRF450X, the rider is an intermediate vet.

Thanks

A little off subject but since DaveJ chimed in and has developed the taco thing for the mid-valve. I know it depends on the speed of the impact but does the mid-valve control damping before the base valving. It seems to me that as soft as the spring on the mid is that the mid comes into play first.