KX100 or CRF150R Expert

I am 13 5' 2" and 130lbs. I like to ride trails and open fields. i need power down low and up top. Any help is appreciated.

Go with the kx. They're a lot cheaper to own and maintain. They can make great trail bikes with a few mods. I've heard their more powerful than the 150R but i never ridden one so i cant say. The 100 is also a lot lighter, at 150 lbs compared to the 150rs 170-180lbs. I love my kx :thumbsup:

the kx will be more fun and it does have okay low end power

go with the kx that bike is very strong

OK guys, you say the KX100 is a good trail bike? I rode my buddy's wife's KX100. That sucker is a light switch like my old 1980 YZ125G. Nothing.... nothing.... nothing....BAMMMMM!!!! I did a nasty wheely the first time I rolled the throttle.

I ride an '07 KX250 so I know about powerful smokers. My 250 is easier to ride. I give mega prop's to both my buddy's wife's that make these weapons work in the trails. Another buddy's wife had the CRF150RB for a bit but she had a hell of a time getting the thing to behave. She went back to her CRF150F with a bunch of mods. She rips on that think.

This adds to my problem. My wife is on an XR100 but wants a KX85. She's ridden it in the staging area and had a blast but she's in for a rude awakening in the single track. Gonna have to get her something else but I don't need her frustrated or hurt.....

I run and maintain a number of different bikes on the trails. I ride a '97 KX250, my son rides a CR85 with V force and FWW, my daughters friend rides a CR85 with just V Force and my sons mate rides a DRZ125 that I have modded heavily to keep up with us. Bored to 190, megacycle cam, 28mm mikuni, big valves Outlaw pipe, RM85 front end with BBR springs, works performance shock ...

Now I PERSONALLY think theat the 2 strokes are great on the trails and enjoy the challenge of riding them. My sons mate hates the 'sh*t or bust' nature of the 2 stroke MX bikes on the trails but RIPS on the DRZ. From what you say I'm sure that you'd love the charateristics of the DRZ. Linnear power, huge amounts of torque (rips knobbles of the rear!!) and puts out 18hp vs 7hp stock!! Super reliable, easy to start and very cheap to maintain. See pic below. If that presses your buttons buy a used one (which are as cheap as chips!) and speak to Frank at Engines Only. If you like Green go for the KLX125 ... it is the same bike :thumbsup:

DRZ190Side.jpg

Are you talking to me???? I kick ass in my '07 KX250R and always want more power, that's why my clutch hates me!

For my wife you mean??? she is set on a 2-stroke. We'll see where she ends up. Trust me, I know all the options.

Ringggg Dinngggggg DDDDIiiiinnnnnNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep I was talking to you ... :busted: ... just thought a powerful small 4 might be the answer if you found the KX100 too peaky. The K100 is the most 'mellow' of the mini MX bikes .. along with the RM85.

"Trust me, I know all the options". ... I'll keep my peace with regard any other options :thumbsup::worthy:

OK guys, you say the KX100 is a good trail bike? I rode my buddy's wife's KX100. That sucker is a light switch like my old 1980 YZ125G. Nothing.... nothing.... nothing....BAMMMMM!!!! I did a nasty wheely the first time I rolled the throttle.

I ride an '07 KX250 so I know about powerful smokers. My 250 is easier to ride. I give mega prop's to both my buddy's wife's that make these weapons work in the trails. Another buddy's wife had the CRF150RB for a bit but she had a hell of a time getting the thing to behave. She went back to her CRF150F with a bunch of mods. She rips on that think.

This adds to my problem. My wife is on an XR100 but wants a KX85. She's ridden it in the staging area and had a blast but she's in for a rude awakening in the single track. Gonna have to get her something else but I don't need her frustrated or hurt.....

:thumbsup: I’ve got a KX100 and it works great for me as a woods bike. Maybe I overuse the clutch, but I’ve never experienced the light switch power your referring and it hums right along as smooth as can be. Keep it right below the pipe and it’s got plenty of power and it’s very smooth. These little bikes don’t take kindly to sloppy/lazy/timid riding though. There’s a lady here (Saltamontes) who is 4’11” and she’s gone through two KX100s, a KTM105sx, and now has a Service Honda. She also rides trials and street bikes, so she’s probably not your average weekend rider.

I guess that did sound kinda cocky, didn't it!

How about this for a wife's bike http://www.kawasaki.ca/content/concept.php?l=en&mpl=5&my=2009&m=1115. She's really short (4'10") and only rides a dozen times a year. Hmmm.....

Now you are confusing me!! I suggested a high speed 4 stroke midi in the form of a modded DRZ ... see the DRZ forum incl the sticky at the top ... and you'll see it is a well trodden path ....

BUT ... you blew me a rasberry and said it had to be a 2 stroke.:thumbsup:

I'm thick skinned and will get over it! :blah:

The KLX140 is a good bike. It has a full perimeter frame (rather than having the engine as a structural component as TTR and DRZ 125) and it has KX250F brakes which are good BUT it is heavier than the DRZ and has lower ground clearance and comes with rudimentary pogo suspension. Only limited options to squeeze out additional power.

The DRZ190 option I showed you has top notch suspension and motor that rips and the power comes on in a completely controllable manner .. and could be put together for less than the cost of a KLX140 which will barely pull the skin of a rice pudding!

Also building that DRZ was the most fun builds I've ever done. EVERYONE who rides it just grins and grins and grins! :worthy::busted: It causes a few raised eyebrows out on the trails as it roosts from corner to corner keeping right up with the MX 85's and leaving all the CRF's in its wake :D

I bought a KLX140L for my wife (4'2" 150 lb Asian with short legs) and she loves it. She is not an agressive rider by any means. And the e-start and stock mild manners of the bike are a great fit for her. And there are suspension mods (KX100 forks) and engine mods available if she wants to step up to the next level. Now if she could just get her broken ribs healed up so she can ride again....:thumbsup:

i got an 06 kx100 and i love this bike. i ride a lot of trails but the track is pretty cool too. this bike is soo light, it turns really good and is really easy to handle. its also a little cheaper to maintain. kx all the way

I would say there is something wrong with that KX100. Powervalve stuck open, worn out/chipped reeds, poor jetting. Granted, it's still a small-bore two-stroke, but it's not a light-switch with zero low-end when properly tuned.
I would say there is something wrong with that KX100. Powervalve stuck open, worn out/chipped reeds, poor jetting. Granted, it's still a small-bore two-stroke, but it's not a light-switch with zero low-end when properly tuned.

I agree here. The kx100 is easy to ride, even for my 12 yr old daughter who is really just a putt-putt rider.

the kx100 is a great fast bike, its no light switch,

try a fly wheel weight like a 9oz that will tame it down some and make it easier for her to ride.

also they make kx85 cr85 etc big wheels so a 85 big wheel might be something to look at also, with sprocket changes and a flywheel weight im sure you can tame it down to where its easy for her to ride,

my son has been riding a kx85 (small wheel) and he's only 7 and he can control the throttle pretty well, and i bet not to much longer he will ask to ride the kx100:busted:

Put a 12 oz Steahly on it....it'll mellow out the power delivery, and won't stall even pulling a plow uphill in heavy soil.:thumbsup:

KX100's can actually be pretty torquey trail bikes when tuned properly. Probably the first mod to do would be a heavier flywheel to take out any major hits and to give it more ability to crawl.

Well the owner seems to make that bike work great. It's brand new, nothing wrong except it's a bit rich. I guess if I rode it more I would see things differently but for the limited experience I had on it, That's the way I saw it.