Need help for picking out a trailer????

Hey Guys,

I'm down grading to a Nissan Rogue cross over vehicle for fuel economy. The decision has already been made so no suggestions on the vehicle please. So now I need to get a small trailer that can at least carry 2 bikes and that I can store easily in my garage. It also needs to be cheap, since I don't have a lot of money. The Rogue's towing capacity is about 1,200lbs. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Still resting up from last weeks festivities?

Does store in the garage mean a folding trailer?

One thing to remember is the trailers can weigh a lot. For example a Zieman MC trailer like the SC38 weighs in at 480. Figure two bikes with gas cans at 300 each, so your are at 1080 with just two bikes. Can't use the third rail or you will be over your limit.

For something smaller check out these guys http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/motorcycle-trailer.htm They are in Azusa so you might just be able to go and see what they look like and/or pick it up to aviod the shipping charges. They have some cool products including what looks like a nice fold up unit that would really save space.

Don't totally discount the Harbor freight trailers. They do decent for what you pay.

No matter what try and get the 12 inch wheels at a minimum. I hate those tiny 8 inch ones.

Add whatever you need to so the gas goes on the trailer. Don't put it in the car.

Not to sound like a broken record, but as with all the what can I tow threads, take into consideration what your vehicle can actually tow. Usually the number, in this case 1200, means a empty vehicle with a 150 lb driver and a half a tank of gas. That 1200 might actually be closer to 900 after you add in the guy in the passenger seat and all the gear. Check the owners manual.

Let us know what you decide to go with as I'm sure that a lot of us are in the same need more mpg boat. The cost of driving my 14 mpg truck put a limitation on my riding that's for sure.

Still resting up from last weeks festivities?

Does store in the garage mean a folding trailer?

One thing to remember is the trailers can weigh a lot. For example a Zieman MC trailer like the SC38 weighs in at 480. Figure two bikes with gas cans at 300 each, so your are at 1080 with just two bikes. Can't use the third rail or you will be over your limit.

For something smaller check out these guys http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/motorcycle-trailer.htm They are in Azusa so you might just be able to go and see what they look like and/or pick it up to aviod the shipping charges. They have some cool products including what looks like a nice fold up unit that would really save space.

Don't totally discount the Harbor freight trailers. They do decent for what you pay.

No matter what try and get the 12 inch wheels at a minimum. I hate those tiny 8 inch ones.

Add whatever you need to so the gas goes on the trailer. Don't put it in the car.

Not to sound like a broken record, but as with all the what can I tow threads, take into consideration what your vehicle can actually tow. Usually the number, in this case 1200, means a empty vehicle with a 150 lb driver and a half a tank of gas. That 1200 might actually be closer to 900 after you add in the guy in the passenger seat and all the gear. Check the owners manual.

Let us know what you decide to go with as I'm sure that a lot of us are in the same need more mpg boat. The cost of driving my 14 mpg truck put a limitation on my riding that's for sure.

Yeah that was a very strenuous extraction we had to get out of, but I'll be able to ride again next week. I know a great trail you want to come?

The Rogue HWY driving is suppose to get around 28mpg. So I'm looking forward to that. I want a fold up trailer and I just got off of Harbor Freight site and they have some incredible deals. Unfortunately after I add rails and such it will probably cost about the same amount as the sport utility link you gave me. Cool link! Oh by the way I have a light weight 2st bike and not a giant red pig! J/K

Bummer I just saw the motorcycle ramps are extra. About $120ea.

Thanks,

You should be able to find a lightwight motorcycle trailer on Craigslist that will work for your purposes. Most are nothing more than an axle, tounge 2 bike rails and some reinforcing. They dont weigh more than maybe 100 lbs.

Im actually looking for a small trailer that I can re-build into a lightweight 1 rail motorcycle trailer to tow behind my.....streetbike. Yea I thought I was crazy too when I 1st thought of that till I saw someone at the local riding area with the same setup. He said it works very well. I have a Vstrom 1000 and they make a hitch for it. Says it has a 500lb towing capacity. I should be able to work with that. Hmmmm.....35-40mpg going to my riding area is sounding really nice.

I used to tow a 6x8 flat trailer with 2 yamaha Banshees and 1 YZ250 with 3 people, gear, gas, and tools with a 90 Chevy Cavileer 4cyl. It actually did a pretty good job of it too. Now I have a 4x4 truck and wished I still had my car.