What seals to get?

I'm looking to start stocking a few fork oil and dust seals for when I service friends forks. I realize this is probably like asking which bike is best, but I'm looking for some that hold up well. It's seems on some you can spend about as much as you want. MSR offers one kit with both for about $26.00 that doesn't sound to bad. Any other favorites? Thanks

I go all OEM, I think it is the best. On hondas you can get the OEM fork seal kit for around $12 if I can remember right comes with one dust seal and one oil seal, you need 2 of them to do both forks. -- Don't try and get them in Canada, with a 15% discount I paid around $45 for 2 seal kits.

As for regular oil I really like the Maxima Racing 5wt for fluid and the Maxima Racing shock fluid light, 3wt.

if the msr kits are like the all balls(they use the same oil seal i know that much) use the oil seals but not the dust, they are way too much friction, the oil seals are good, triple lips and work well.

Yes, I'm been using the Maxima. Here in the states if you order $100 worth from Rocky Mountain it's shipped free.

I'm looking to start stocking a few fork oil and dust seals for when I service friends forks. I realize this is probably like asking which bike is best, but I'm looking for some that hold up well. It's seems on some you can spend about as much as you want. MSR offers one kit with both for about $26.00 that doesn't sound to bad. Any other favorites? Thanks

In my opinion, the OEMs are often the best seals that you can get. If the fork tube is taken care of (aligned and kept clean of water spots and damage) these seals can last many years.

Seals often offer some compromise between the static friction they generate and their sealing abilities. No seal, that I am aware of, is a low friction high sealing seal, or the other way around. Which makes sense.

The MSR and Moose kits use a Clark main seal, (http://www.clarkseals.com) which is a really good seal for sealing, but it has a lot more stactic friction. And the MSR and Moose kits use a dust seal that is great for deep mud and water, but generate too much friction for all other applications. They also cost way too much compared to what you can get the OEMs for.

For the KYBs, you can use the 04-48mm seal for heavier duty applications, and the 06-09 seal for lower friction applications. Not many people know that.

Lastly, for most MX, supercross and arenacross applications, where there is little to no water or mud, I pull the retaining spring on the dust seal. This really helps to reduce friction. You can do the same thing on the shock.

:thumbsup:

Hey thanks, we don't ride in much mud or water here. I might look into the lighter OEMs.

I hear Factory Connection makes good seals. I have not tried a set yet. The fork seal is thicker and uses a thinner metal backing ring.

I agree with all comments on the MSR and Moose seals, stiction is crazy high. I ran K&L's from RMATV before they stopped selling them for my KTM. OEM are good, K&L, the tusk stuff looks decent, FC seals are good, and I've gotten them from MX-tech also.

Anybody else have much experience with the Tusk seals? They seam to be about the cheapest, but I know how that can go.

They seam to be about the cheapest,

you should look for quality, not price :thumbsup:

I asked a similiar question a little while back, and shockdoc had some really good advice.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669490

Do you want cheap or good? I use Synergy Seals on all my customers bikes. A little more than that price but will last longer and better customer support.

doc

I was trying to find some middle of the road between $11.00 ones and $40.00.

I'm more interested in holding up and not leaking than stiction on these.

Thanks

I was trying to find some middle of the road between $11.00 ones and $40.00.

I'm more interested in holding up and not leaking than stiction on these.

Thanks

What bike do you have?

doc

My main bike is a 2006 YZ250F.

My main bike is a 2006 YZ250F.

Just order some '04 YZ seals and use the same dust seals (if they are still good) and that wouldn't cost much. I think the '04 seals were suspose to seal better but a little stickier.

doc

In my short seal changing career, I like OEM.

What do your customers want? Those are the price you should pay, as they are going to be the ones paying for them anyway. I'd hate to hear my friend tell me I just paid him to put Tusk anything on my bike.

I like OEM.