Sign in to follow this  

Opinion of my Rad (pics inside)

Hello everyone, well when I first got my bike I crushed my Rad, have been riding with it like this for a couple years.. I think I did a bit more damage to it, and where I now ride is much hotter and I have a problem overheating, even when riding really fast with lots of air movement.

It does not leak and I poured water in each of the inlets and water goes through to the rest... would you consider this rad still functional as I am a broke student right now just trying to make it until winter.. or is this affecting my cooling? Thanks.

P.S. Ill add pictures of my Flatland racing guard that bent on a slow fall.. not impressed, but it DID do it's job I guess.

Aug242008001.jpg

Aug242008002.jpg

Aug242008005.jpg

Rad guard after what must have been a slow tip over, cant even remember it.

aug242008006.jpg

aug242008009.jpg

aug242008007.jpg

justa guess but i'd say you got at least a 10% loss in cooling right there but it is still fixable :thumbsup:

a good local radiator shop should be able to straighten that right up and a lot cheaper then a new RAD.

justa guess but i'd say you got at least a 10% loss in cooling right there but it is still fixable :thumbsup:

a good local radiator shop should be able to straighten that right up and a lot cheaper then a new RAD.

10% of that one rad or 10% overall? Quite interested.. add to the fact that Rad Guards don't help anything and it is about 37'C when it is hot out.. so yeah worth fixing...

I had heard about the Mylers shop in Utah I believe doing awesome work, but never thought about just a local radiator shop.. thanks for the tip I'm gonna check er out!!

A local shop should be able to straighten it out. I probably wouldn't bother if it's not leaking. My radiators are pranged on both sides but since they don't leak I don't worry about it.

Send them to Mylers. Don't even mess with anyone else. Yours are minor compared with some of the stuff I've seen them fix. (click the Our Work link) They're very fast, reasonable, and 100% reliable.

10% of that one rad or 10% overall? Quite interested.. add to the fact that Rad Guards don't help anything and it is about 37'C when it is hot out.. so yeah worth fixing...

I had heard about the Mylers shop in Utah I believe doing awesome work, but never thought about just a local radiator shop.. thanks for the tip I'm gonna check er out!!

i would say with the extra friction involved in the bend 10% overall,

but its hard to tell without looking at it first hand i cant see the actual tubes in the fins in your pics, i would for sure check a local shop, i had one pulled and soldered and they charged me 40 bucks took them about 20 min. to fix. what i was worried about is if a tube was bent to far in there and restricting flow notjust the square surface area being affected. even tho it still flows from oneside to another, it could still be restrictive and making it harder to pump and less coolant traveling thru the rad

and FYI mylers is the best

look around ebay. i found a basicly new rad for my my125 for $80 from a part out.