Sign in to follow this  

WR250R- Intermittent noise at 50mph in 4th gear

Hi, First post. My WR250R has 600 miles on it and I've noticed that in 4th gear at 50mph (only) the bike sounds as though someone's turning the volume of the engine up and down every 1/2 second or so. Any ideas? Thanks a lot for any wisdom.

So you are saying it doesn't do it in 3rd or 5th at the same 50 mph, right?

Does it do it in 3rd at 42-43 mph?

Does it do it in 5th at 63-64 mph?

These are about 7000 rpm, the same as 50 mph in 4th.

Go 50 mph in 4th on a downhill road, and pull the clutch in for a couple seconds while keeping the rpms the same. Does it go away with the clutch in?

Clutches tend to slip in the higher harder pulling gears. If you do most of your acceleration in 4th then back off when in 5th and 6th to cruise, that might be your problem. Check your cable free-play first.

Mine does the same, but in every gear 2nd from about 30 to 35, 3rd from 43 to 48, 4th from 55 to 60 and I havent gone fast enough in 5th to find out where it starts there. For mine it sounds like the engine gets very almost pingy in those ranges. I have 2200 miles on mine and hasnt gotten worse or better.

Is it kind of a squeak? There were some posts about that way back when. I got it right at 500 miles and it just started again at 1000. It kind of sounded like the front brake to me but it wasn't. Clean and lube your chain and see what it does. Could be it but then again maybe not. It is worth a try.

Sorry, meant to put these together-new at this. It's not a sqeak, but more like an engine-pulsing sound. Will check cable free play as suggested and look at chain. Thanks all.

Mine does the same, but in every gear 2nd from about 30 to 35, 3rd from 43 to 48, 4th from 55 to 60 and I havent gone fast enough in 5th to find out where it starts there. For mine it sounds like the engine gets very almost pingy in those ranges. I have 2200 miles on mine and hasnt gotten worse or better.

Mine seems to do the same- pingy sort of a rattle at mid-high RPM. Its not chain related. I thing its just the nature of how this new engine works/sounds. IMO.

I hammer the snot out of mine- run it like a 125 2-stroke- literally and it has not changed in 600+ mi.

I wonder if it isn't the EXUP valve? It may be right in that range that the valve starts to actuate?

Do you guys have the OEM exhausts still?

Mine does it do, its a spot where it just seems like the motor is making more noise. Doesn't seem to effect its performance but its a little more vibration and stuff right in that spot.