Big guy+new s model+links = wobbly ride???

Howdy, I have a question that it looks like has been asked before, but I haven't seen an answer that makes sense to me. I just got a sweet deal on a 2007 S model w/only 38 miles on it. Guy bought it, put Kouba Links (#2) on it and rode it to work once then traded it on a R6... Silly person... The problem I have is the high speed "wobble" ~68-70mph. I have heard the aerodynamic effect argument, but that doesn't stand up. Where I live we have constant 10-20 mph wind form the east. Hwy 90 here runs E/W so at 70 MPH indicated riding east relative wind =90 mph, riding west relative wind =50 mph. Regardless at 70 mph bike says its time to go wobbly! As I said, the bike has Kouba links under it and I'm a bigger guy (6'3" ~220#'s) Originally when I got the bike it wasn't happy above 60 mph, add that to the way the rear end sank like the Titanic when I climbed aboard I ran the spring down in the rear end (I ordered the Thuper Talk Suspension video and followed its advice.) This pushed the wobble to the current 70mph mark. But this leads me to believe the wobble is a suspension tuning issue, I believein my case Imay need to lower the fork in the triple clamp (to try to regain stock steering geometry) and beef up my springs. I'm thinking .48-.50 in the forks and 5.8-6.0 in the rear (a little greater than with normal links to compensate for the increased leverage of the Kouba links.) Further I noticed a mild ride improvement running slightly over normal tire pressure (20front and 24 rear.) But before I spend alot of time and money doing this with the suspension I was hoping for insight from those with more experience... Thanks :thumbsup:

I don't own a drz...however, I believe that lowering the forks will have the opposite effect..lowering the forks will increase the head angle, improving turn in, at the expense of stability...There are a lot of knowledgeable drz riders on TT that can probably help you.

Why don't you just chuck the Kouba links? You're 6'3" for heaven's sake.

+1 on that.

Get rid of the Kouba's and get your suspension redone.

Howdy, I have a question that it looks like has been asked before, but I haven't seen an answer that makes sense to me. I just got a sweet deal on a 2007 S model w/only 38 miles on it. Guy bought it, put Kouba Links (#2) on it and rode it to work once then traded it on a R6... Silly person... The problem I have is the high speed "wobble" ~68-70mph. I have heard the aerodynamic effect argument, but that doesn't stand up. Where I live we have constant 10-20 mph wind form the east. Hwy 90 here runs E/W so at 70 MPH indicated riding east relative wind =90 mph, riding west relative wind =50 mph. Regardless at 70 mph bike says its time to go wobbly! As I said, the bike has Kouba links under it and I'm a bigger guy (6'3" ~220#'s) Originally when I got the bike it wasn't happy above 60 mph, add that to the way the rear end sank like the Titanic when I climbed aboard I ran the spring down in the rear end (I ordered the Thuper Talk Suspension video and followed its advice.) This pushed the wobble to the current 70mph mark. But this leads me to believe the wobble is a suspension tuning issue, I believein my case Imay need to lower the fork in the triple clamp (to try to regain stock steering geometry) and beef up my springs. I'm thinking .48-.50 in the forks and 5.8-6.0 in the rear (a little greater than with normal links to compensate for the increased leverage of the Kouba links.) Further I noticed a mild ride improvement running slightly over normal tire pressure (20front and 24 rear.) But before I spend alot of time and money doing this with the suspension I was hoping for insight from those with more experience... Thanks :thumbsup:

You are going to need a suspension revalve and heavier rear spring. If you do some research on rear sag, it will tell you exactly how to set it, and if you need a rear spring. Personally I would ditch the Kouba link. Sell it on steal-bay. I tried one once on my RMZ450 and hated it. It totally changed the rear linkage ratio, took away downtravel, and felt super unstable in the rough areas of the track. The reason I bought one was that I am only 5'8", I thought it might keep my feet on the ground. Not worth the trade off. Also raising the forks in the tubes is going to quicken the steering response at any speed. This can make the bike feel twitchy, if you ride on the freeway with rain grooves then it can almost be downright scarry.:worthy: Hope this helps.

I tried the kuoba lowering links on my "S" model and took them off the first chance I got, the bike was absolute junk with them on it. Now she is rock solid as fast as you care to ride it.

The air sock for a front fender on the S will cause it wobble at hwy speeds. I switched to a SM front fender and that helped alot.

I agree, get rid of the lowering link. Where are you in Texas? You mentioned Hwy 90.....Are you close to San Antonio?

I was playing around with my 400E today. It has a twitchy front end as well - much more noticeable at higher speeds. To test the fender theory I simply rode it - took the fender off - and rode the same route. Yeah, it was a bit better but still not great. Notably, with the fender off I could watch the front wheel and it was NOT bouncing around in concert with the wobble so I am theorizing the wobble is mostly due to suspension. Mine is a 2001 with a worn out shock. I have a replacement from a 2007 SM with the stiffer spring which should be about right for my weight (193). So that's next. Then comes the heavier springs for the forks. I remember reading somewhere that if you think your suspension is screwed up in the front - you should actually look at the rear - and vice versa. Any thoughts?

I'm in the great town of Del Rio...