Best Mini

I'm looking for a mini to race with my son and confussed on which one? I'm looking at KTM, LEM, Cobra, Polini. They all have thier strong points but am curious which one is the best overall?

For you or for him? Pitster Pro or Honda for you and Cobra for him.

The Cobra is a ripper for sure. However, you will replacing the clutch all the time and the motors dont last. I see most parents that race the cobra have 3, junior races one while dad rebuilds the others. Also the stators do not last well and go out frequently. But they are the fastest mini for a kid. The polini seems to be a better quality where as it lasts a lot longer. It is also has the Tomara clutch which is springs, not stackable washers and pads. They are still fast bikes, but are not the maintinence nightmare and money pit the cobras are

right now the best new mini's out i heard are the new conti's.

but i love our cobra we only have 1 and have 40+ hrs on it right now without a top end or clutch replacement, but i did a lot of work to "finetune it" before hand the polinis are also nice so are the LEMs and the ktm's if i was you i would be more worried about the bet deal you can get on one they all have there problems and or flaws, but overall they are all pretty nice bikes:thumbsup:

Cobras are not maintenance nightmares. Not any more so than any other race 50. Our 04 King looks like hell but it is a rocket. My son is not racing it any longer but he was undefeated on it this year when he did race it. Granted, the level of compettion was not that great.

The washers last a long time and are very easy to replace. I don't measure stacks at all. I order new bolts and washers from Cobra. They come prestacked. I just throw them in. Easy as 1-2-3.

JAM, I hope you are kidding about the Conti. I might have believed you if you said Polini.

Cobras are not maintenance nightmares. Not any more so than any other race 50. Our 04 King looks like hell but it is a rocket. My son is not racing it any longer but he was undefeated on it this year when he did race it. Granted, the level of compettion was not that great.

The washers last a long time and are very easy to replace. I don't measure stacks at all. I order new bolts and washers from Cobra. They come prestacked. I just throw them in. Easy as 1-2-3.

JAM, I hope you are kidding about the Conti. I might have believed you if you said Polini.

no i have never seen them yet but hte new contis are suppose to rock, aluminum swingarms, awsome valved suspension, adjustable on the fly clutch etc etc, they are also suppose to be 10lbs lighter then the king,

i have no clue what they really are like, but i read in mini rider that they rocked, also another person here on TT told me they were super sweet also, i heard they are going to be the next great american racer like cobra.

theroyz71 where do you order your washer stacks from? can you pm me contact info im going to be ordering some soon. thanks

PM sent.

I was under the impression that the Conti was a flash in the pan. I have only seen one or two and it has been a while. I will have to go back and check on KTMTalk.

The LEM is a nice bike that has some awesome features and is supposed to haul @$$ too. In the end however, it all comes down to the kid twisting the throttle.

PM sent.

I was under the impression that the Conti was a flash in the pan. I have only seen one or two and it has been a while. I will have to go back and check on KTMTalk.

The LEM is a nice bike that has some awesome features and is supposed to haul @$$ too. In the end however, it all comes down to the kid twisting the throttle.

+1 couldnt agree more it 99% kid 1% bike

you could be right the contis may have been a fly by night op, but i heard the 08's were awesome, but you never know till you see em first hand, i havent had the op yet, let me know what you find out.

the LEMS are nice bikes well built and fast, a guy told me the lems had way better suspension the the ktms thats why he switched, but dont they have the same marzi forks? maybe the internals are different:excuseme:

also the local fast kid seems to have had a lot of carb problems with the lem, but they seem like very very nice bikes.

FYI the fast local kid here is way faster then my son, but my sons clapped out 05 king pulls the 08 lem off the line, till the first turn that is:busted:

The Conti is a beautiful bike, upside down forks and Alum frame are the main thing that is different from the LEM.

In my opinion, the Lem is the front runner of them all. I know I know, I am an owner (soon to be x-owner) but I love the little bike. I have only had 1 issue with the carb main jet clogging but other than that the bike has been great. Very few realize that at one time Lem provided motors for all the mini's.

I have heard from a reliable source that the Conti guy is a pain in the a** to deal with but do not have any personal experience.

The cobra is a fast bike and a lot of the agressive little riders haul on them. They have to be the UGLIEST of all 50's but looks can be deceiving.

KTM's are fast too but have some weeknesses that have to be mentioned. The frame has a week point and it has not been uncommon to see them break in half. I haven't personally seen that happen but know people that have.

Polini's are really nice when you can keep them running. They seem to have the most agressive suspension - bike height out of them all. My daughter loved the big one - not sure x3 or something I think.

Good luck on your decision, I know it is hard

Dave

The Conti is a beautiful bike, upside down forks and Alum frame are the main thing that is different from the LEM.

In my opinion, the Lem is the front runner of them all. I know I know, I am an owner (soon to be x-owner) but I love the little bike. I have only had 1 issue with the carb main jet clogging but other than that the bike has been great. Very few realize that at one time Lem provided motors for all the mini's.

I have heard from a reliable source that the Conti guy is a pain in the a** to deal with but do not have any personal experience.

The cobra is a fast bike and a lot of the agressive little riders haul on them. They have to be the UGLIEST of all 50's but looks can be deceiving.

KTM's are fast too but have some weeknesses that have to be mentioned. The frame has a week point and it has not been uncommon to see them break in half. I haven't personally seen that happen but know people that have.

Polini's are really nice when you can keep them running. They seem to have the most agressive suspension - bike height out of them all. My daughter loved the big one - not sure x3 or something I think.

Good luck on your decision, I know it is hard

Dave

the cobra is the uugly duck of the bunch thats what we actually call my sons cobra is the ugly duck :thumbsup:

hey fry due you know if the internals of the forks are different from LEM to KTM?

Ya know I don't know for sure but I betcha I can find out. I'll get back to you.

Another couple of bikes worth mentioning are the PRC and the Metrakit. I have only seen pictures of these bikes but I think they look absolutely beautiful. I have read PRC's are really trying to up their support in certain areas, I have yet to see one up close and personal or anywhere near my neck of the woods.

http://www.proracingcycles.com/

http://www.metrakit.es/english/vehicles.php

hey fry due you know if the internals of the forks are different from LEM to KTM?

Here is the response I got from John3x:

They have a plastic ring around the damping rod on one side and sometimes both sides. When the forks have the plastic ring the stantion will have a check valve in it. If a fork does not have the check valve I will buy a stantion tube that has the check valve and add the plastic ring to make both sides have compression. As far as valving such as shims there is not any.

Thanks John :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I know guys with KTM's & Cobra's and they argue about who's better, but was curious about how the Lem & Polini stacked up. I'm actually leaning towards the Lem. I've seen KTM's with cracked frame's around the rear swingarm pivot's/footpegs, wheelbearing problems, oil leaks, clutch maintenance, I know cobra's are fast but the rest of the bike doesn't hold up as well as the KTM? So I'm thinking the Lem, has a proven engine, good supension and haven't about any major problems (install a Tomar though). Thanks again

Thanks guys, I know guys with KTM's & Cobra's and they argue about who's better, but was curious about how the Lem & Polini stacked up. I'm actually leaning towards the Lem. I've seen KTM's with cracked frame's around the rear swingarm pivot's/footpegs, wheelbearing problems, oil leaks, clutch maintenance, I know cobra's are fast but the rest of the bike doesn't hold up as well as the KTM? So I'm thinking the Lem, has a proven engine, good supension and haven't about any major problems (install a Tomar though). Thanks again

i would have to say the only thing on a cobra that doesnt hold up well is a the wheel bearings, and plastics, other then that even the electronics seem to hold up just as well if not better then KTM. the cobra frame is stronger then the ktm frame, the cobra seem to have a little weaker discs but the are a glafer wave type disc so, i dont like the cobra's dinky master cylinder brake line, but other then that they are solid bikes, i wouldnt hesitate at all to buy a cobra even one that several years old.

There's no argument just look at the entry list or results for Loretta's. It's 90% Cobra. There's a reason for that!

Keep in mind though how fast is your son? I bought my 5 year old son a Cobra P-3 for Xmas and he''s just now riding it. The P3 is Cobra's smallest oil injected model but they use the same motor in this bike as the LEM uses in their 7-8 year old bike but it's detuned with a smaller carb. I ran it against a KTM 50SX and it hits harder and it's faster. I will admit that's a great motor. The Cobra CM50 is faster on top-end than the the P3 Cobra so it will no doubt blister the KTM sX50 Jr. Cobra uses their own motor on the CX and King 50 and they import the Frano Morini motor for the P3.

The new 3 shoe Clutch (06 and newer) is a lot more reliable than the old clutches. The stators (06 and newer) also seem to work better so don't worry about that.

KTM is supposed to have all new 50's this year. From what I've seen the current models are no where as reliable as the Cobra's. The Polini's and LEM's are both great bikes but like I said Cobra owns the 50 market. The resale value is better and there's a lot of support. A great website to go to is Cobratalk.com.

Good Luck!

Todd