Sign in to follow this  

Trakmaster II paired with ... ?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put the TII on the rear of my drz. Not quite sure what to put on the front though. I'm kinda thinking maxxis 6006 or kenda k777. I don't want a squirly front tire for road riding.

Also, mine came with a metz 140/80 on the rear. Will the 120/100 TII be much smaller?

I plan to get some new heavy tubes as well.

Thanks!

Kenda 777 enduro front is mint. Ive been running it since April. It does exceptionally well on the road . I run it with a trackmaster rear and have no wobbles on the street. The 777 front is also good for me on the trail , rocky hardpack and good in the mud also .

I put a Pirelli MT44 on the front with a TMII on the rear and it is a great combo for Colorado. I ride technical single track on the weekends and ride to work almost every day. Both are holding up well. Both have 1000 miles and the front is still 75% and the rear is at 65%. I am not easy on tires and this combo seems to be working well for a compromise in wear and traction.

Just my .02.

Good Luck!!

I just put the Maxxis 6006 on both rims about 800 miles ago. Although I'm very happy with the rear, the front should be labeled a 95/5 street to dirt tire. The lugs are very wide and not deep/tall enough to be very effective off-road. I thought I was impressed with the front after the first short ride on grass and hardpack, but lately as I encounter some "wetter" stuff, I'm not liking the front 6006 at all. It is essentially a street tire disguised as a knobby. I love it on the road, as I said, it has wide, short lugs on it. Not so much off road.

Depends on your mix of riding, but if you do any substantial off-roading, stay away from the 6006 front. The 6006 rear has done me well and I would recommend it for a 50/50 mix, but the front 6006 is a road tire IMO.

Eric

I run the trakmaster's all the way around. Just got done putting a new one on the rear.

I do a little bit of both. I ride it to work somedays, ride gravel sometimes, and enjoy riding on some trails. I can tone down my street riding with a slightly squirelly rear, but it's hard to get thru the tacky dirt and mud with a tire that's too street orientated. I might go with the 777 and TII.

I run the Trackmaster IIs on front and rear. I fully realize that I don't push things nearly as much as you young snorts, but I have seen the chicken strip on the outer half of the outer row of knobs on the front and rear on the street (not my standard style), and the tires hold way better than my capabilities in the dirt. I haven't noticed any tendency to wobble or exibit any bad behaviors on any surface, so I'm reupping for more when these wear out. :thumbsup:

I run the Trackmaster IIs on front and rear. I fully realize that I don't push things nearly as much as you young snorts, but I have seen the chicken strip on the outer half of the outer row of knobs on the front and rear on the street (not my standard style), and the tires hold way better than my capabilities in the dirt. I haven't noticed any tendency to wobble or exibit any bad behaviors on any surface, so I'm reupping for more when these wear out. :thumbsup:

The front end has been good on everything I've been in. Sand its about as good as any tire will be in the sand in my opinion. The rear just keeps pushing you through anything and everything(I love it in sloppy mud, it THROWS the roost probably a good 30-40 feet)

I put 1800 miles on the rear, the front is starting to show signs of wear-cupping(too much road probably), but they're cheap, so who cares:excuseme: haha.

Try the Kenda K776 on the front, with the K760 on the rear. That's my new favorite combo.

:thumbsup:

K777 front if you ride anything soft, hands down.

The K777 is a soft to intermediate terrain tire, the K776 is a intermediate to hard terrain tire. As for the TII front, I think it's supposed to be a soft to intermediate, but the 777 works good for me in sand.

how do you get dennis kirk to price match?

You have to call them, they will verify the price and then beat it by a buck. Kind of a hassle, but worth it.

The 776 is better on the road, pretty much like a 606, but the 777 is much better in the loose stuff. The 777 isn't a solid on pavement as some of the others, but is quite tolerable IMHO. They last better on the pavement than you would think also.

I have also run the 778 rear and found it to be a great tire off road, but it was very short-lived on pavement.

I'm getting ready to mount a F&R set of the TrackMaster 2's on mine. I've had the tires for a few months, just waiting for my 270's to wear out...

I'm thinking the TM's won't last as long as the 270's... :thumbsup:

Hard to beat $40/ tire though, huh?

Where is everyone finding the best price on the 776 front and 760 rear?

I sold my street legal '98 XR400R last Wednesday and picked up a '00 DRZ400S yesterday. I'm thinking the half worn Bridgestone Trail Wings aren't going to be on much longer.

I ordered my tires from rockymtnatv.

I installed my TII last night and rode my bike to work this morning. BE CAREFUL on pavement at first (like others have said). I came around a mild corner and barely got on it and it whipped out to the side. Layed it to the other side and did it again. :thumbsup: I never had to worry about that with my anemic 200cc bike. I'm sure it will get better once broken in.

Does the front tire come off easier than the rear? :worthy: Hope to do it tomorrow night.

Kenda 777 enduro front is mint. Ive been running it since April. It does exceptionally well on the road . I run it with a trackmaster rear and have no wobbles on the street. The 777 front is also good for me on the trail , rocky hardpack and good in the mud also .

I 2nd that motion. I run the same combo as RW24JIMMY and love it

I run both 760's front and rear....and have for 4 years....awesome tires, and the front is equally wicked.......too much gossip about it not being so. I have ridden in every terrain possible and the front has always held things true. I will not run any other DOT knobbies period.