Sign in to follow this  

help im stuck in the boonies

Decided to take a ride I have been about25 miles when all of the sudden she stutterd and then died. I have gas oil is clean and there. U tried switching to reserve thinking it could be the petcock but still nothing. Please help.

Its an xr650l 2002

I'd start with the easy ones first. Make sure your airway is clear, then pull the spark plug and check. Make sure the plug wire is seated for a good connection.

Decided to take a ride I have been about25 miles when all of the sudden she stutterd and then died. I have gas oil is clean and there. U tried switching to reserve thinking it could be the petcock but still nothing. Please help.

Its an xr650l 2002

Crack open the drain screw on the float bowl,make sure fuel is actually coming out.let it drip a few seconds to be sure,next pull your spark plug,reattach it to the plug wire and ground the end of the plug to the head,crank it over see if it has fire,is it bright???..

An engine needs fire-fuel-compression,if one is missing you have nothing..

You need to find out which is missing to know where to go next..:thumbsup:

Brian

One thing that can happen is the gas tank vent gets clogged. The bike will run for a bit until a vacuum forms in the tank. When the vacuum gets strong enough gas will no longer flow. It's east to check. When the bike quits, unsrcew the gas cap. If it starts right up then that is the issue.

The 650L's CDI is prone to failure. It could be the problem. The next time it quits check for spark if the gas cap trick doesn't work.

Guys, thanks a lot for your quick responses, it ended up being the plug, luckily my cousin drove down and was able to pick myself and the bike up. Lesson learned on not bringing an extra plug. Thanks again everyone