Get an 08TE250 now or wait for 09TE310?

Hey Guys,

I have a line on a 2008 TE250 with only 448km (278miles).

My question is:

I want to get an enduro that is good offroad, and that i can still rip around town on, and occasional hwy trips.

Is the 250 able to stay at 60mph +?

Would i be better off waiting for the 310?

Thanks

Mike

Don't wait, with the money you'll save buy the Athena 300 kit if you find the 250 isn't enough. Geared up the 250 will do 60MPH, but it's not very comfortable doing so.

how fast can the 250 go stock?

how fast can the 250 go stock?

I had mine to 80 but is comfortable at 40 to 45 on the highway. I geared it down for the mountains with 12/52 and it still did 70.

The Hwy speeds here are 100km/h which is like 60-62mph.

think it would need to be geared up? or would a 450 be better, and avoid the 250?

If you wring it out the 250's will go 80 mph, but you feel like you are killing it off and wouldn't want to do it for any length of time. My 06 250 with 13/52 gearing is spinning 9000 rpm at a indicated 60 mph which is probably optimistic on the speed, its probably less, 55-58 I havn't checked it with a GPS yet. The tranny ratios are rather close so changing the gearing to make it better on the highway will really make 1st gear too high and negatively affect its off road ability. Something like a KLX250 (I have ridden one quite a bit) with much wider ratios in the transmission so lo gear can be low enough for off road and the top gear is high enough for highway cruising would be a much more versitile ride for doing everything. The TE250's are really hard core dirt bikes geared for tight trail work where you really flogg them but rarely get above 50 in top speed. The harder you ride them the better they perform, but they just aren't designed to take long highway trips. I ride mine to work sometimes and its kind of weird just putting around and really feels out of its element. When you pull out from a intersection stop, by the time you hit the other side, your in top gear and your only doing 25-30 mph.

Hey Guys,

I have a line on a 2008 TE250 with only 448km (278miles).

My question is:

I want to get an enduro that is good offroad, and that i can still rip around town on, and occasional hwy trips.

Is the 250 able to stay at 60mph +?

Would i be better off waiting for the 310?

Thanks

Mike

You DO NOT want to run a 250 very long at highway speeds [stock] due to the rather close ratio transmission. Now to connect tight trails with road & maybe about 50mph wouldn't hurt. Look for a bigger bike but you will love the 250 in the woods.:thumbsup:
Don't wait, with the money you'll save buy the Athena 300 kit if you find the 250 isn't enough. Geared up the 250 will do 60MPH, but it's not very comfortable doing so.

Ditto. I have the 300 kit in my 2008 TE250 and love it. I won't cruise faster than 40mph on the roads though. I don't think 450's and 510's want to cruise that fast stock either. If I really wanted to run 60 all day I would go to a 15 up front but the 250 and 300 won't work all that well and you had better want a 1st gear that idles along at 10 mph.

Greg