Recommendation for 1996 sprockets and chain.

My 1996 XR400R has finally worn through the rear sprocket. I think I might have run it with too much slack. Anyway, it sounds like I should replace the front sprocket, rear sprocket and chain. I ride in the Colorado back-country, my skill level is intermediate at best. I want to maintain the OEM performance and durability. Should I buy the OEM replacement parts or are there better, more durable sprockets and chain? I don't mnd paying a little more to get the best quality. Thanks for your help!

i had a problem with the racing chain my bike came with..it kept stretching out on the trail...i got the primary drive stock gearing kit from rockymountain...with like 8100 lbs tinsile strength and it hasnt stretched at all..really nice quality x-ring chain..they have like 6 different kits with combos of steel sprockets and x ring /o ring/and racing chains...there low prices too check it out

Sunstar steel sprockets and a DID 520VM have been holding up very well on my CR500.

I was told Sunstar is the same as OEM. That is what I put on my XR200R. And a good o-ring chain.

Replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time.

I was told Sunstar is the same as OEM. That is what I put on my XR200R. And a good o-ring chain.

Replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time.

I'm pretty sure Yamaha uses them as their OEM sprockets. Not sure about Honda though.

ive got 2000+ miles on my tusk x-ring chain & sprocket kits from rocky mountain. it has only moved 2 clicks on the snails and i have not lubed it at all yet.. i just make sure it is was dry when i put it away. rumors say the tusk is just a d.i.d re-branded.

I've had really good luck with the Primary Drive X-Ring chain. I bought my '96 XR400 with an Ironman sprocket on it 2 years ago and after 1500 - 2000 Wyoming mountain trail miles you can hardly see any wear on the sprocket at all. Who knows how long it was on the bike before I got it. The prices are a bit steep on the Ironman, but with the wear I'm getting out of it I'm thinking they're worth it.