Sign in to follow this  

thinking of down grading

I have a honda 250f and 250r my problem is that I dont want the expense of another overhaul on the 250f and the 250r has to much power. My only option I see is to get a 125 I relize Im a little big for a 125 at 200# but im a c rider at best. I just want something that wont scare me to death. thanks for suggestions

ok, unless you mean X, im almost certain Honda doesnt make a 250f, an R yes, but most of the time when someone says crf250f you look at the side and its actually an R. anyways yeah, a 125 is always good, but an "overhaul" doesnt really cost that much if you DIY

spend more time on the 250R and get used to it. After a while it wont be so intimidating.

The 125 will give you plenty of good times and will still get away just when you think you got it down. Keep that 250r and get time on the 125 and you will thank yourself for keeping the 250.

de-tune the CR250R....

wise man say, "easier to take-ith power away than to add more later" :thumbsup:

You could either get a KTM 200 two stroke, or de-tune the 250R.

The KTM 200's are very fun to ride. They are much more powerful than a 125 but not a 250, obviously.

I've got a few friends with them, and they love them.

Put a flywheel weight and a smaller sprocket on the 250R, that should lessen the hit

Put a flywheel weight and a smaller sprocket on the 250R, that should lessen the hit

:thumbsup:

Yea, what that guy said.

I agree about de-tuning the 250R, but if you get the chance,

ride someones 05 -> 09 YZ125.

You'll buy one after if you do.

I agree, since you already own the CRF250, look into de-tuning it. Fly wheel weight, torque exhaust system,(MRD, and DrD make good ones) maybe a Rekluse also as it can keep you out of trouble.

The 2t will prove to be harder to ride and might frustrate you more. Good luck!

A 14 OZ FWW will make the cr a teddy bear. A JD jetting kit will make ir run great at low rpm.

is a 125 that bad compared to a 250 2stroke or 250 four stroke. I know they arent very torquey but really are they that slow in a c riders hands? the 250 4 stroke has nice power looking for something like that only cheaper mait.

+1 much cheaper then buying a new bike. you have a good machine set it up for yourself.

is a 125 that bad compared to a 250 2stroke or 250 four stroke. I know they arent very torquey but really are they that slow in a c riders hands? the 250 4 stroke has nice power looking for something like that only cheaper mait.

IMHO you will miss the torque and wish you had the thumper back if you go to a 125.

spend more time on the 250R and get used to it. After a while it wont be so intimidating.

Seat time will do wonders with your confidence on the 250 2T

de-tune the CR250R....

wise man say, "easier to take-ith power away than to add more later" :worthy:

Exactly :thumbsup:

The 125 will be quite a bit slower in an inexperianced 125 riders hands. You have to really work to keep the bike on the pipe. that being said, if you rode and got used to a 125 now, you will learn techniques that you wouldnt have learned on the more powerful bike. In the turns you will learn to keep your speed up or you loose your momentum. You will learn to really attack hills and how to work the clutch lever in order to keep the little 125 singing in its power range. I learned on a 125 and there are times now where I climb hills on my 250F that I easily scream up that other riders dont. I credit this to my time on my 125. I actually had one guy ask me if I was clutching it at the top of the hill cause my bike ran out of steam. I simply started working the clutch like my125 and came up easily. In my honest opinion there is nothing like watching a really good rider scream around a track on a 125. I love the way they sound. 250f is much easier for the novice to ride.

well I tried to tune the cr 250 the best i could 12 oz. fww jd jet kit and fmf gnarly pipe but it still just to much bike I've worked on this for several months now and it is still just to much bike I think I'm going 125. how are the 04 and up yz125s. reliable, motor, suspension, good track bike. opinions welcome and do you think $2400 is a good price for a 2003 cr 250 in good shape.