High Speed Wobble

I've seen numerous threads on here about this, but I felt my situation might be a bit different than the rest. I own an 07 "S" model DRZ400. With just under 1,300 miles. Suspension, wheels, etc. totally bone stock. Anything over 70 mph and I feel like the bike is going to wobble out of control. The upside is that I don't ride any faster than that, but it makes me nervous when someone is tailing me on the highway. I thought maybe the aerodynamics of the bike, or just the fact that it's a lightweight bike compared to most other street bikes, might be the overall reason for this, but I see people on here claiming they can do over 80 mph, no problem. I checked the tire pressures which were a bit on the low side. But the problem is still there. I don't want to pour a ton of money into it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you're running the stock mirrors, try the same scenario w/ them off the bike. Also iv'e read the stock S front fender can cause some high speed unsteadiness, and an SM fender can help w/ that as well. The front tire could be out of balance as well, or out of round. Get it off the ground and spin the front tire. You'll be able to see if it has a high spot.

won't tightening the head bearings down all the way affect the handling of the bike? I'm nervous about creating a new problem. Let me know, thanks! I was thinking of trying the mirrors and SM fender thing, but to be street legal, I need mirrors, the SM fender is something I may consider

won't tightening the head bearings down all the way affect the handling of the bike? I'm nervous about creating a new problem. Let me know, thanks! I was thinking of trying the mirrors and SM fender thing, but to be street legal, I need mirrors, the SM fender is something I may consider

Couldn't hurt to check the torque on the steering stem bearings-they could be loose. Have you ever greased them?

However, tightening the bearings to increase the drag on them past spec is merely a band-aid for something else that's causing the problem.

I'd risk being not-street legal for a test ride to see if this may be the cause of the problem.

IMHO

the mirrors, fender, shrouds...etc dont cause the wobble, they are all on my bike and i dont have any problems, I belive they all may contribute some amount to an exisitng wobble but they dont cause it I can under certain circumstances feel a twitter but throttle or seating position will make it go away. the DRZ is not as stable as my street bike is tho.

I would start with set the suspension SAG and if you havent done it grease the head bearings and set for correct torque and balance the wheels

these are low cost or free to do and should be done to any bike you ride

I routinely take my DRZ to 92mph indicated without any drama...

IMHO

the mirrors, fender, shrouds...etc dont cause the wobble, they are all on my bike and i dont have any problems, I belive they all may contribute some amount to an exisitng wobble but they dont cause it I can under certain circumstances feel a twitter but throttle or seating position will make it go away. the DRZ is not as stable as my street bike is tho.

I would start with set the suspension SAG and if you havent done it grease the head bearings and set for correct torque and balance the wheels

these are low cost or free to do and should be done to any bike you ride

I routinely take my DRZ to 92mph indicated without any drama...

+1 but 92 is more like 78 because I have a terraflex rear (150) and some other dirt tire up front with 14/47 gearing... I can rip that thing bouncing off the limiter in 5th with no issues.

Suspension, tires, more likely your issue.

i put both bikes on a stand and removed the handle bars and tighten the

bearing down till you just fell some drag, that is what part of the problem is you over steer it with them being slightly loose, my 05 drze 400 has almost

19,000 miles on it now, when i first got it i could not keep it hardly between the lines of the road, snugged up the stem bearing after more grease and the

problem disappeared, we just got a 08 crf 230 l, my wife's bike, it wobbled like

crazy at 60-5, took the bars off and tighten up the steering bearing and we just rode it 230 miles with up to 70 mph (top speed) on the highway with zero headshake now, both bikes are cured buy just adjusting the tightness of those bearing , but if you just wanna spend money the steering stablizers are

nice too but ...................................

try this first and use the cash for a better mod !

i just used wheel bearing grease on mine

you have to take the handle bars off and take that big nut off under the handle bars, the upper tripple tree needs to come off then you get to the spanner nut that preloads the bearing, you can do it with the forks on or off

just don't let them fall off,as you will need to lift the bike slightly on a stand or lift of some sort , its a pretty simple job but will require a hour or so to do

it , good luck ...................

• 4 weeks later...

Get the the shop manual, make sure steering head bearing is snug and adequately greased but don't over-tighten, make sure the forks are not tweaked one way or the other. You might want different suspension settings for the roadway vs the dirt. The supermoto fender is way better for fast highway speeds because the dirt fender flops around a lot in the wind and the SM one is much more stable. If your bike is low miles with stock tires the front tire should be OK on balance and the bead seated properly, but it is definitely worth a check. Lots of us run on the highway at above posted speed limits without this problem but it is a light bike and and is easily pushed around and just a little nudge on the handlebars will make it feel wobbly. Could be you just need to relax a little (Death grip on the handlebars?) and let the bike keep itself in a straight line. Here in NJ, if your only doing 65 on the highway, your practically an obstacle in the roadway. Good luck and enjoy the :excuseme: