Kickstart Kit?

Alright, I think I've had enough with the whole electric-start only on my DRZ400S. My battery died the other day and in the mean-time while I was waiting for a new one to ship, I attempted a pop-start. Let's just say the compression put me on my a**, and the left side of my body is scraped up pretty good! Road-burn hurts, really bad! Screaming in the shower is an understatement. For obvious reasons, I don't want to run into this situation again and I'd like to install the kicker. I've seen the kit available on ebay, and the step-by-step instructions on the Mr. Cobb site. He mentions the kit will work on the "S" model minus the decompression parts. My mechanical experience however is limited to an oil change, air filter, spark plugs, etc. I'm nervous to take the side cover off and mess with the clutch, etc. I'm located in Connecticut. Anyone know of a shop that might do the install? What kind of labor costs would be reasonable? Let me know, thanks everyone!

There are some step by step instruction here on the forums somewhere. I would do it myself if I were you. I punched a hole in the inner clutch cover...which is the whole side case cover. I will be taking that off and replacing it next weekend and doing the locktight mod while I'm in there. If I had a kick start kit I would probably put that in too. Do some research on this site and you might find enough pictures to show you how to do it right.

My battery apparently died today at the gas station after a 70 mile ride. My '07 400s wouldn't start.

The starter kept getting slower & slower, until it finally just clicked...

Luckily I was able to roll it off after my 2nd attempt.

I used 1st gear to catch it, instead of 2nd... LEVEL GROUND

I ride EVERY week, year 'round, and my battery only lasted 1 yr. 5mo.?

Is this normal? My rides are usually at least 50 mi. every time...

What is the absolute BEST battery to replace my OEM with?

Thanks!

(Maybe Ill start a new thread for this...)

ShortCircuit1987, do it yourself man. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/gallery/136763/1#4997029_yDKix that is the best instructions out their IMO. Shop rates are 80 - 120 an hr depends on the place really and how great their work is. If you do it yourself and properly torque everything down you will be fine and you will know its done right. I wouldn't let a shop touch my bike anymore. because the quality of work isn't their.

Killer B you can get the kit from thumpertalk here is a link http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645797

Alright, I think I've had enough with the whole electric-start only on my DRZ400S. My battery died the other day and in the mean-time while I was waiting for a new one to ship, I attempted a pop-start. Let's just say the compression put me on my a**, and the left side of my body is scraped up pretty good! Road-burn hurts, really bad! Screaming in the shower is an understatement. For obvious reasons, I don't want to run into this situation again and I'd like to install the kicker. I've seen the kit available on ebay, and the step-by-step instructions on the Mr. Cobb site. He mentions the kit will work on the "S" model minus the decompression parts. My mechanical experience however is limited to an oil change, air filter, spark plugs, etc. I'm nervous to take the side cover off and mess with the clutch, etc. I'm located in Connecticut. Anyone know of a shop that might do the install? What kind of labor costs would be reasonable? Let me know, thanks everyone!

If you decide to try it, here's a kit for you...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6853524#post6853524

See post #15.

I'm seriously considering doing it myself definitely, labor costs at the shops are astronomical. Not to mention that since the kit is technically for an E model, a shop might give me a hard time when installing it. Does anyone know if the kit comes with the torque specs for all the bolts, springs, etc. I tried sending a PM to the username Honard for the kicker kit he has available, however his inbox was full. I left a post, but other users already have also. If anyone else a kick-start kit available for the DRZ400 let me know. Thanks!

I'm seriously considering doing it myself definitely, labor costs at the shops are astronomical. Not to mention that since the kit is technically for an E model, a shop might give me a hard time when installing it. Does anyone know if the kit comes with the torque specs for all the bolts, springs, etc. I tried sending a PM to the username Honard for the kicker kit he has available, however his inbox was full. I left a post, but other users already have also. If anyone else a kick-start kit available for the DRZ400 let me know. Thanks!

Do the install and get it from ebay or somewhere you know it is going to have the instructions and gaskets...

Here's a good instructional. I've seen them on sale on ebay also.

http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/gallery/136763/1#P-1-20

so who else sells the kickstart kits?

Hey, I just found that Eddie Sisneros sells a kit with a modified battery box, plus a modified bracket allowing you to install a battery with practically double the output. That plus the fact that I just starting using a battery tender, I hardly doubt I'd have battery issues again. Plus it would be lighter weight than adding the whole kicker kit. You can buy the kit with the battery for $159.95 shipped or $79.95 without. Personally I could probably find a battery cheaper than $80 on ebay or at Wal-Mart lol! What does everybody think?

Hey, I just found that Eddie Sisneros sells a kit with a modified battery box, plus a modified bracket allowing you to install a battery with practically double the output. That plus the fact that I just starting using a battery tender, I hardly doubt I'd have battery issues again. Plus it would be lighter weight than adding the whole kicker kit. You can buy the kit with the battery for $159.95 shipped or $79.95 without. Personally I could probably find a battery cheaper than $80 on ebay or at Wal-Mart lol! What does everybody think?

I think there's a reason Eddie sells you an 80$ battery with the kit and not some cheapo Walmart one ...

LOL! I wasn't trying to offend Eddie. I'm simply trying to point out the cheapest route. I think it's absolutely rediculous what these companies ask for when it comes to these motorcycle batteries. They're barely half the size of a car battery, they don't last for anything and yet they get double the price for them! Therefore I don't think it matters where you buy a bike battery from. Even if you buy a cheap one, as long as you keep it on a battery tender it'll end up lasting just as long. I had an OEM battery in my 07 DRZ400S with a tender on it. The thing lastest me maybe a year and a half, TOPS! Rediculous! I refuse to pay top dollar for something like that. I'm hoping the kit that allows me to use a YTZ10S will be worth it. I just ordered one yesterday. Does anyone have experience with this kit? How well has it worked for you?