1000 vs 600

Specs. 6'1'' 145 currently and 17 yrs old of age.

i dont plan on getting a bike till im about 21 because thats about how long it will take to save up for one.

What should i get ( and i plan on buying new). Honda CBR1000RR or 600RR?

i figure since my growth plates are still open i figure i will be about 6'3'' to 6'5'' by the time im 21, and being 190-210 lbs. so what bike should i get, i have been racing motocross up untill this summer. So what do you all think

Your size doesn't matter.. they're pretty much the same size bike, but the 1000 will have twice the power. Instead of "saving" until you can buy an RR bike, which will be way over your skill level, why not get a cheap beginners bike that you can learn on while you save? Makes more sense to me... by the time you have enough money for the RR, your skills might be on par with the bike (or close enough). Plus you'll have tons more fun learning on a beginners bike, than being constantly intimidated by an RR.

Good luck, whatever you do always wear full gear!

Owned both and raced the 1000rr. The 600 carries more corner speed and you can keep the power down on the wheels without wheel spin. As for which is faster well the 1000 in the straights. Since reading your only 17 and thinking of getting a race rep when your 21 I would suggest going with a 500cc bike or one of the 650 v twins to learn on first.

well these wouldnt be the first street bikes ive rode, ive already rode a friends of mine 98 CB 750 so its not like ive never rode one before.

You rode a friends bike and now your ready for a race replica???? I think your in for a rude awakening.... :busted:

Statistically, most riders wreck within they're first 6 months of riding, so why are you gonna save up all that money only to run the risk of laying the bike down and having to put thousands into it and pay insurance up the arse? Im sorry but your too young to realize it! :worthy:

I too was in your situation when I was 17. Luckily, my family and friends talked me out of the sport bike, and into a dual sport.... best decision of my life. My riding skills, and street awareness improved sooooo fast. Now Im almost 22 YO, and have owned 3 sport bikes since (cbr f3, gsxr 750, zx9r). And I can honestly tell you that the dual sport was the funnest of them all. My current street bike (zx9r) has been good, but after almost four years of riding sport bikes, I am finally to the point where have outgrown them. I feel the sport bike market is saturated with squids and posers, and I no longer want to be a part of that (even though I am not). So my current bike will be sold soon, and I'm looking for something more tame. But thats just my experience... maybe you'll just have to find that out for yourself in 5 years... but ? ... its your life.

I have to agree with the general consensus that everyone is giving here. Get a smaller displacement motorcycle and get some experience under your belt before going for a race ready bike. A 98 cb 750 is a totally different machine compared with the 600 and the liter bike, not even in the same class to compare! To tell you the truth, there isn't much of a reason for a 1000 to be on the street, the six hundred is plenty of bike even to an experienced rider. I would be surprised to see anyone other than a pro on a racetrack push a 600 to its limits. The bottom line is to have fun and be safe!

Being an AMA member ex club racer in the sport bike racing scene for years. The topic of this post has been asked millions of times on every motorcycle forum since the creation of man. We can all sit here and tell a noob not to buy the 1kr or respond to the which bike is faster or will this bike fit me questions when the poster has never had any street time on any type of sport bike. Bottom line is all young adults and early 20 somethings go out and buy the fastest bike on paper or what they read from the super dyno charts. Then they get the damn thing home and wad it up in less than 6 months. Now the bike sits in there garage totaled and they don't have the money to get it fixed because they did not have insurance or got liability because they could not afford the premiums. Now to answer the question "will this bike fit me" They all will fit you. the 600's and 1000's are about the same size now in terms of wheel base and seat height. The 1000's have gotten smaller over the years so they can flick through chacanes and corners as fast as the 600's. Most tracks I have ridden are too short to ride the 1000 as fast as the 600's. Lets move on to street riding. Again the 1000 will hit triple digits in second gear. 5th and 6th are a waist unless your aiming for a reckless driving ticket. The 600 works well through the gears on the street. The only down fall is no low end torque or feeling of a power surge until your at least 8-9k in the rpm range unlike the 1000. The 1000 will start pulling from 3k. If your concerned about top speed well the 600 will top out in the low 160's depending on rider weight. The 1000 maybe 180 and more like low 170's. Who the hell is going to ride that fast on the street anyways. I could only get my 1000rr up to 155 on the straight before I had to hit the brakes and push the front end into a left hander. Want my advice for the perfect noob bike for the street. Get an Suzuki sv660 or the Kawi Ninja 650. Both bikes are not over powering, better power band for street riding and twistis. You can even prep them up for track days and WERA racing. If squiding on the highway is your thing they can pull wheelies with the rest of the squidly stunnas on race reps. I would advise staying away from the Ninja 250 if your a bigger person. The suspension will bottom out and not keep the bike planted for real sport riding.

• Like 1

Agree with mrrw60. I just sold my R1 a few weeks ago, but when my son was 16, I bought him a Ninja 250 to chase me around on. He wanted the 600R as his first bike, but told him he needed a lot of street time before he was ready for that power and awareness. He has been riding dirt since he was 3 and has great technical skills when it comes to off-road.

He logged just short of 1000 miles on the ninja chasing me around town and through the canyons. He is now 18 and I sold the 250 and he purchased a GSXR 600R and is more skilled at riding it then he would have been if that was his first bike.

Good luck with your decision and make sure you go through a Safety Course as well.

Surprised no one has said the FZ6.

Power is pretty mellow and forgiving under 7K RPM. The brakes are overkill for the street and it handles on a rail for an upright bike. The clutch is kinda finicky though.

The Ninja 650R would probably be a better choice for a complete street newb. Good luck trying to find one (at least in my area)though because those bikes became really popular after gasoline surpassed $4 a gallon.

All you will need is a 600 In my opinion, so you should probably look at either the YZF-R6, or the CBR600RR. Another pretty nice bike is the GSXR750. Some other also nice bikes are the Ninja 650 and the FZ6-I am surprised no one said FZ6 either.

Being an AMA member ex club racer in the sport bike racing scene for years. The topic of this post has been asked millions of times on every motorcycle forum since the creation of man. We can all sit here and tell a noob not to buy the 1kr or respond to the which bike is faster or will this bike fit me questions when the poster has never had any street time on any type of sport bike. Bottom line is all young adults and early 20 somethings go out and buy the fastest bike on paper or what they read from the super dyno charts. Then they get the damn thing home and wad it up in less than 6 months. Now the bike sits in there garage totaled and they don't have the money to get it fixed because they did not have insurance or got liability because they could not afford the premiums. Now to answer the question "will this bike fit me" They all will fit you. the 600's and 1000's are about the same size now in terms of wheel base and seat height. The 1000's have gotten smaller over the years so they can flick through chacanes and corners as fast as the 600's. Most tracks I have ridden are too short to ride the 1000 as fast as the 600's. Lets move on to street riding. Again the 1000 will hit triple digits in second gear. 5th and 6th are a waist unless your aiming for a reckless driving ticket. The 600 works well through the gears on the street. The only down fall is no low end torque or feeling of a power surge until your at least 8-9k in the rpm range unlike the 1000. The 1000 will start pulling from 3k. If your concerned about top speed well the 600 will top out in the low 160's depending on rider weight. The 1000 maybe 180 and more like low 170's. Who the hell is going to ride that fast on the street anyways. I could only get my 1000rr up to 155 on the straight before I had to hit the brakes and push the front end into a left hander. Want my advice for the perfect noob bike for the street. Get an Suzuki sv660 or the Kawi Ninja 650. Both bikes are not over powering, better power band for street riding and twistis. You can even prep them up for track days and WERA racing. If squiding on the highway is your thing they can pull wheelies with the rest of the squidly stunnas on race reps. I would advise staying away from the Ninja 250 if your a bigger person. The suspension will bottom out and not keep the bike planted for real sport riding.

OH MY GOD! I just read your post.... SOOO true. This should be a sticky! ?