Kauai Hare and Hound. Labor day races?

Wow! That brings back memories. I used to do that race back in the late

70's. We started right on the beach just outside of Pono Kai, if I recall correctly. We would barge our bikes over from Oahu, pick them up from the terminal, and ride to the condo on the side of the road. I bet you can't do that anymore. Later, they also added a motocross as a second venue. Does that still happen?

Hey Bigbird is that you? If you are the right bigbird my dad Mark went touring cross-country with you and some of the Mililani Hang on riders. My dad still talks about parts of that last trip you all took. You guys had some fun. ...The race is still going. I don't think the side of the road riding part flies anymore but you never know. I forgot about that. We would be riding on the road maybe a 1/3mile long worth of riders then!!! No licence..no problem. I have heard of some riders shipping their bikes over but I am not sure how many. I am getting in shape and shooting for the Turkey trot race in Kahuku just before Christmas . Kauai would be too big of a chunk to take on without training/riding. I just watched "Tropic Thunder" at the theatres . If you have never been to Kauai that movie shows the type of terrain you have to race in(I know you have big bird) . .....? .Fun....:worthy:

I probably know your dad. Ask him if he remembers Harold Trinies. I didn't do the ride with the Mililani group, but I know them. I think Harold did that ride with them. I lived in Mililani for quite a while. It was so great to just push my bike across the road to the pineapple fields and take off toward the mountains.

The Kauai HS was one of the toughest races I have ever run. I wish I could do it again, but I'm too old. Wait, John Dominis (sp?) did it and he was 60 at the time. ?

:worthy:

I probably know your dad. Ask him if he remembers Harold Trinies. I didn't do the ride with the Mililani group, but I know them. I think Harold did that ride with them. I lived in Mililani for quite a while. It was so great to just push my bike across the road to the pineapple fields and take off toward the mountains.

The Kauai HS was one of the toughest races I have ever run. I wish I could do it again, but I'm too old. Wait, John Dominis (sp?) did it and he was 60 at the time. ?

I think you are talking about John Domke. The trials rider right! Yep he is still going . He is a tough guy and he has been in lots of tough races. I used to race with Harolds son Steven many moons ago. I know he is riding but haven't run into him yet. I saw him in one of phaulgai's Youtube videos . Be sure to check that out if you haven't already. You can get your hawaii riding fix via the internet. Steven is one of those riders that was well rounded to race hare n hound and motocross. At least he used to be...I am older and having to catch up with who is riding now. I am the old man of the group now. I remember being the youngest and going as fast as i can just to get a glimpse of Pat Gouveia and the rest of the eagles. They were so fast and I couldn't believe how those old guys could kick my ass. For those of you that don't know in the 70's and 80's Pat Gouveia was a top rider who many times dualed with John Desoto for the #1 position in the top Oahu hare n hounds and sometimes Kauai hare n hounds. Another famous Oahu race was the Cobra Hare n Hound named after Johns father who was one of the local motorcycle legends of offroad motorcycle riding in Hawaii. Cobra was one of those real men legends that rode harleys and BSA's in the trails!!! nuts!! The hare n hounds typically would have less than 20 riders finish of a field of 150-200. Just to finish was something to be very proud of. When you were done your body was ruined. Tough races....John and Pat would finish in about 3-4 hrs way before others were close to finishing . They were super fast and strong. I should also say John is still very fast. He is still ripping up the motocross course at Kahuku. I figured when I raced one of my last offroad races I had a good chance of winning . I went to sign up for the masters class and I see John Desoto signed up just before me. I know he is over 10 yrs older than me but he still has some juice!!! Sure enough he just motored past me and disappeared from view. I also realized that my body didn't match the speed that I had in my head. Of course I am not 18 anymore. I think my memory is 18 but my body is close to 49. Oh well I just have to go to 24hr fitness and work on that.:busted: Oh by the way (bigbird)you may remember my dad as the retired fireman. He rode Ktm's offroad. I think he toured on a honda on the last cross country ride.

Man, you bring back memories. My bad memory on John Domke. That is the guy is was thinking of. Harold, David Cadiz, John Hennesy and I used to ride together a lot back in the late 70's. I do know your dad as well, and probably have met you. I also remember the Cobra Classic out of Mililani. That was one of my favorite races on Oahu. I wish I could find all my old pics of those days. I had one of Trinies, Cadiz, Hennesy, Domke and me on Kauai by the Sleeping Giant just before the Garden Island Classic. Good Times.

Hey guys. Kauai is one of my favorite places in the world. Visited the island from Arizona in 2005, then again in 2007, and hoping to get back there before the end of 2009 (basically, as often as I can get there for some R&R!) Last time I was there I saw a lot of bikes, mostly in the backs of pickup trucks. I've been curious... Is there a lot of good riding on the island, or just a few tracks/event spots?

Hey guys. Kauai is one of my favorite places in the world. Visited the island from Arizona in 2005, then again in 2007, and hoping to get back there before the end of 2009 (basically, as often as I can get there for some R&R!) Last time I was there I saw a lot of bikes, mostly in the backs of pickup trucks. I've been curious... Is there a lot of good riding on the island, or just a few tracks/event spots?

There is incredible riding there. It is beautiful and tough. You would have to get a Kauai guy to describe it to you . I am an Oahu guy. I have ridden but it was a long time ago. Oahu, Maui and the Big island have great stuff too. For Oahu riding check out phaulgai on Youtube. Put a search for : dirt bike riding hawaii. He has some great offroad footage of Oahu /Kahuku trails.

There is incredible riding there. It is beautiful and tough. You would have to get a Kauai guy to describe it to you . I am an Oahu guy. I have ridden but it was a long time ago. Oahu, Maui and the Big island have great stuff too. For Oahu riding check out phaulgai on Youtube. Put a search for : dirt bike riding hawaii. He has some great offroad footage of Oahu /Kahuku trails.

Sweet. I'll definately check that out on youtube. I'd love to live there someday... probably Kauai, but I love Maui, too. Been to the Big Island as well, but wasn't there long enough to really get a good feel for it. That's still just dreaming, though, for now.

Hoping that next time I go, I might get to check out some riding somehow. I'd just love to be able to say I went riding in Hawaii. Good stuff. Thanks for the info hawaiidirtrider!

• 8 years later...

Bigbird

Steve here. My dad, Harold past in 2010. I'm now living in NorCal, near Placerville. Are you still in the Bay Area? It would be cool to connect somewhere. 

In still riding. Dirt and Duel sport. 

Hope you're doing well. 

ST

• Like 1