Broken kickstarter shaft!!! help!

I have an 02 YZ250 and today after stopping for a break and some liquids, I jumped to start my bike, kicked it and new immediately that something was wrong. The kickstart felt strained. I broke the kickstart shaft and cracked the aluminum cover that encloses the case.:worthy::busted:

My question:

1. Is it hard to fix?

2. Is this at all common? Is this a weakness of this year and model. The bike is new to me so I'm not too familiar with any issues.

3. What could cause this to happen? Internal, metal fatigue??

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions are appreciated.:thumbsup:

It is fairly easy to fix, I have seen some one else on here had problem(s) with theirs. But thats all I have heard. How do you start the bike (technique)?

I did the same thing. Check this thread.

On June 12th I bought the following parts from JTmotorsports dot com

PRODUCT INFORMATION:

Part Number: 5CU-15462-00-00

Description: GASKET, CRANKCASE for Yamaha Yamaha

Order Quantity: 1

Unit Price: $3.59

Total Cost: $3.59

Part Number: 5NX-15431-00-00

Description: COVER, CRANKCASE 3 for Yamaha Yamaha

Unit Price: $106.55

Total Cost: $106.55

Part Number: 5NX-15601-10-00

Description: KICK SHAFT ASSY for Yamaha Yamaha

Unit Price: $93.84

Total Cost: $93.84

Part Number: 90280-03017-00

Description: KEY,WOODRUFF for Yamaha Yamaha

Unit Price: $0.99

Total Cost: $0.99

ORDER TOTALS:

Item Total: $204.97

Tax: $0.00

Shipping: $18.95

Order Total: $223.92

I should've bought more gaskets internally but just RTV'd it all and sold it to buy my '07.:thumbsup:

Shrub-

Thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate the item numbers and prices. I'll check out the suggested vendor. :thumbsup:

My technique for kicking has been, top dead center and KICK! Is there a technique I should be aware of?

So aside from this happening to myself, Shrub, and apparently some others has anyone deteremined the reason and is the fix a permanent one OR could this happen again?

I gotta tell you, I have an Auto-clutch Pro and had I been somewhere remote with no ability to bump start I would have been screwed. :worthy:

Shrub-

Thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate the item numbers and prices. I'll check out the suggested vendor. :thumbsup:

My technique for kicking has been, top dead center and KICK! Is there a technique I should be aware of?

So aside from this happening to myself, Shrub, and apparently some others has anyone deteremined the reason and is the fix a permanent one OR could this happen again?

I gotta tell you, I have an Auto-clutch Pro and had I been somewhere remote with no ability to bump start I would have been screwed. :worthy:

I've got the AC pro too. Kept reading about not being able to bump start it but didn't believe it until I tried (of course).:busted:

Shop around for prices. Seems like it took two weeks to get the stuff but that's normal for OEM parts. Now when I kick the bike cold I "prime the cylinder" first to get it to fire. I push down on the lever to get resistance and then bring it all the way to the top and a smooth constant kick all the way through. At the very bottom of the stroke I release pressure on the lever so that it doesn't whack my footpeg too hard. I think that's the key in preventing this from happening again - that and proper flywheel installation in my case.:blah:

Same thing happened to me on my 05. Bought a replacement starter shaft and casecover for a 100 bucks on Ebay.

IMG_3136.jpg

I am actually going to be doing this exact repair in a couple of days on an 04 yz 250. I decided though to also get the bearings for the water pump as well as the governor since i was worried i would mess them up taking them out with a bearing removal tool.

Really suxed when it happened but now i know that you must be smart about starting it because this is not a cheap or quick fix since you must get most of the parts from OEM. :thumbsup:

Well best of luck on the repair

I'll have to consider that when looking at the bearings. I'll be taking it apart later today and hopefullly ordering some parts.

Your not kidding about being careful when starting. If I was in Mojave or somewhere else remote...man I would have been pissed!

I'll get it apart and see...

So what's the consensus here...is this metal fatigue of the kickstart shaft that's causing this?:thumbsup:

So how has the repair gone??? I just got a 2003 YZ 250 like last week and did the same thing when I got it home. I bought the kit for the starter shaft and the case cover gasket. DO I need to remove the water pump as well?? Looks like it, but I wasn't sure. I am still waiting on the parts. Do you need to pull the clutch cover? The dealer I went to to get oil from said no. He wasn't too sure about the water pump, but it looked like it from the diagram.

I was pretty pissed because I went like 2.5 hours to get it, rode it (kicked just fine) then drove home with it. I get it off the truck and kick it and it fires right up. It was a little cold and I stalled it by not getting on the gas when I went to take off. So I pull in the clutch and try to start it in first... the kicker goes down and stays there. I was like huh??? then I tried to pull it back up and then "clang" it come right off and hits the ground. Snapped the friggin shaft.

If anyone has any details on this operation it would be really helpful. I haven't had a dirt bike since 2003... Bit it hard trying to get into freestyle MX and then let a chick convince me to sell my 2001 CR 125 and 2002 250.

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!

-Mike

My dad is a machinist and he thought that it was metal fatigue... He's also a biker and said that "it ain't a knucklehead son... YOu don't have to kick it all the way down to the friggin ground"

It is kind of a weak way to make that shaft... it is hollow. If it was solid it probably never would have failed.

bump...did you have to take the water pump off?? From what I can see it has to come off.... that would suck because I means another week of waiting to ride because I have to wait on a gasket..

gee, you guys would have been world-class kickboxers eh!! :busted:

I have an 02 YZ250 and today after stopping for a break and some liquids, I jumped to start my bike, kicked it and new immediately that something was wrong. The kickstart felt strained. I broke the kickstart shaft and cracked the aluminum cover that encloses the case.:thumbsup::worthy: ...
I did the same thing. Check this thread....
Same thing happened to me on my 05. Bought a replacement starter shaft and casecover for a 100 bucks on Ebay.

IMG_3136.jpg

bump...did you have to take the water pump off?? From what I can see it has to come off.... that would suck because I means another week of waiting to ride because I have to wait on a gasket..

YES! I had to take off the water pump and the gasket. Forgetting to order the gasket I just tore it off and re-used the gasket with RTV. Sort of ghetto but it worked. No leaks either.:thumbsup:

Aiight then...I have done that before so I guess that I will try that too.

Did you have to remove the clutch?? I don't seem to be able to get it around the fly wheel. I am going to check the Fiche, but I was a bit curious about the torque to get it back on???????????

Oh yeah, I am going to try and knock this out tonight so if anyone has some word of advice I would love to hear 'em!!

Well, I am stuck for the moment. I pulled the clutch pak and I don't have the tool to remove the basket. The damn kicker sprocket is hitting the flywheel and needs about 4 mm wiggle room to come off. If anyone has advice on removing the whole clutch basket and flywheel I would appreciate it.

This sucks... I was under the impression that it wouldn't be so bad...

Remove your clutch basket only. Use a clutch removal tool. The flywheel should have nothing to do with this. The manual shows you how to remove the parts in the correct order.

Ok so I got it back together, but now there is another issue... the kicker won't spring back up to the top position. I kicked it off fine and it runs pretty good, but I have to move the kicker back up with my foot. and it tries to roll backwards (slowly) when it is running. Only thing that i can think is that when I put the spring in it wasn't tensioned??? I just turned it until it lined up and everything just kind of set there. Do I need to do something else here???