Rear Rack Do It Yourself (PVC)

After seeing what Honda had to offer for a rear rack for the CRF230L, I decided to do something myself,

So for about $25 at the local hardware store, I put together this rack using PVC pipe and some foam pipe insulation, 2 rolls of electrical tap and some spray paint.

Here are the elbows and t's layed out,

Rack-01.jpg

Since I am doing this rack to custom fit my tail bag, I have an upper and lower section, this is the upper section that the bags base will wrap around.

Rack-02.jpg

Here is the base, this part will be strapped to the rear of the bike.

Rack-03.jpg

Here are all the pieces put together, the top and bottom sections will remain unglued. This will allow for any new upper rack modifications, if I need something different, I build it and put it on the base, no need to rebuild the entire rig.

Rack-04.jpg

Here you can see how the bottom will fit on the bike.

Rack-05.jpg

Another picture showing how I am using the turn signal posts to steady the rack.

Rack-06.jpg

The entire unfinished rig sitting on the bike.

Rack-07.jpg

A couple coats of paint make a big difference.

Rack-09.jpg

Rack-10.jpg

After the paint is dry, I wrapped to foam around the cross members, this will protect the plastic, and makes for a secure connection to the bike when cinching down the holding straps.

Rack-11.jpg

The bottom section strapped down

Rack-12.jpg

The entire rack with my tail bag, the bottom of the bag stays on the rack, the top portion zips off and has 4 additional straps that attach at the four corners

Rack-13.jpg

So for $25 dollars and an afternoon, I now have a rear rack that fits my needs.

I tried to look at your pics but couldn't maybe it's my computer.

wont work for me either.

they dont work........

They work for me :worthy:

Looks good :thumbsup:

Good idea,....... but without being mounted/bolted to the frame it's weight capacity is limited to what the fender/turn signals will tolerate.

Great job Scott. :thumbsup: N Edge

Nice rack dude. I like the do-it-yourself stuff. Looks good and works. Gas to you.

Tech25, this rack is on a CRF230L,

the frame runs directly under the fender and with the three cross member on the base,

I am attempting to spread the weight across the back.

The two down tubes that are on either side of the turn signals are not bearing any weight on the signal post,

they are there to steady the base on the fender and keep the rack from moving from side to side,

I just took advantage of their location and get the added benefit of the rack not being able to slide front to back.

True, this rack isn't for hauling a chain saw, tools and fuel.

Myself, I am doing a regular commute,

and prefer not to wear a backpack for an hour since I have to carry a laptop,

a couple books and some extra clothes with me all the time.

Like I said, it fits my needs.

Looks like a winner to me. Nice handy work:thumbsup:

Nice Job! What kind of paint did you use on the fender and Plates?

Tech25, this rack is on a CRF230L,

the frame runs directly under the fender and with the three cross member on the base,

I am attempting to spread the weight across the back.

The two down tubes that are on either side of the turn signals are not bearing any weight on the signal post,

they are there to steady the base on the fender and keep the rack from moving from side to side,

I just took advantage of their location and get the added benefit of the rack not being able to slide front to back.

True, this rack isn't for hauling a chain saw, tools and fuel.

Myself, I am doing a regular commute,

and prefer not to wear a backpack for an hour since I have to carry a laptop,

a couple books and some extra clothes with me all the time.

Like I said, it fits my needs.

I have to agree with not wearing a backpack for sure. If there is a solid structure under the fender to support the weight, I am sure you will be alright. I wouldn't want to see you lose the fender, or even worse get something caught up in the rear wheel while in motion, should something let loose.

Yea, what kind of paint did you use on the plastics.I don't want to do my hole bike but the white parts would look good black.

Krylon makes a spray can paint they are calling "Fusion for Plastic"

I used the Satin Black since it matched the black plastic on the CRF230L.

I did some light sanding where some of the price tags were sticking and to wear down some of the nibs on the PVC.

After that I wiped it all down with a rag with a small amount of paint thinner and let it set for about 20 minutes.

I did the same with all the white and red plastic on the bike.

Holds up great.

paint.jpg

My CRF230L

CRF230L-paint.jpg

Krylon makes a spray can paint they are calling "Fusion for Plastic"

I used the Satin Black since it matched the black plastic on the CRF230L.

I did some light sanding where some of the price tags were sticking and to wear down some of the nibs on the PVC.

After that I wiped it all down with a rag with a small amount of paint thinner and let it set for about 20 minutes.

I did the same with all the white and red plastic on the bike.

Holds up great.

paint.jpg

My CRF230L

CRF230L-paint.jpg

The bike looks great! Make sure you tell us how that holds up after a few rides on it, how many coats did you use on your plastics? I may look into that for my 230f, plastics are way too expensive for all the performance they give you:p

Sell them on ebay for $100!

When I painted the plastics, I used two coats, three cans to do the job, over 500 miles later the bugs wipe off, the paint stays on.

looks like a good design to me! Its especially great if it meets your specific needs!

I was wondering how that paint would hold up. I may have to do that to my bike this weekend. What kind of grit did you use for the sand paper?

A

I did the same black job to my bike a while back. Almost the exact same.. same paint and everything.

3 coats, only took one can. Two, I guess, I touched up a couple weeks later.

Holds up reallys well to normal commute, and pretty well on trails. Gas will eat it right off, and leave little.. cracked? spots. So if you drop your bike, like I do often, the gas spills down the fairings and eats the paint off.

Otherwise, awesome application for really cheap. Your bike looks great, by the way, Scott; good job.