Sign in to follow this  

Not enough power for an 85 pounder

My Son rides an 05' GG 80 Rookie. He is 85 pounds 5 foot tall and have been complaining that he needs more power from his bike. Can I up the motor output? or should I look into the next size bike.

My Son rides an 05' GG 80 Rookie. He is 85 pounds 5 foot tall and have been complaining that he needs more power from his bike. Can I up the motor output? or should I look into the next size bike.

I wonder if the motor needs freshening up? To me that combination sounds perfect. Also..remember in trials power is not paramount.

I would say get him a 125. My son is also about 5' and he has a Sherco 125 and it's perfect for him. I know the GasGas 80's don't have much bottom end to begin with. Also one of the best things about the 125 is it has much more flywheel than a 80, plus it has much better suspension.

Yes, a Gas Gas 125 could be the ticket and it can grow with him up to a 225cc with just a new top end. But at 5 feet tall, you might want to test his starting ability on one first, that kick starter is quite high up on the motor and tough on people with short legs.

Maybe a sprocket change for lower gearing would be in order given the rider weight.

Fresh top end

Thin Base Gasket (check squish)

Repack silencer

Polish Exhaust port

Some folks do a mod of the slide cutaway and air box for better low end - and I think the stock setup on the carb is way rich. Theres some info on trialspartsusa, but not much.

They do have a great clutch and like to be used alot. :thumbsup: