IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Nuts spinning in gas tank, can't get shroud off - Any ideas ?

Hey,

One of the nuts in my gas tank is spinning and I can't get the bolt off (which means I can't get my rad. shroud off).

I'm sure someone out there has a good idea on how to get it out/off ?

Thanks !

AL

Grind the head off and remove the shroud, then go from there to get out the insert. You should be able to pull the insert out and then remove the threaded rod that is left over. Then clean up the thread in the insert if they are damaged, and reinstall it in to the tank with some two part epoxy or something that will hold if for ever and harden. I dunno thats what I would try. And hey winter is almost here, just wait till then and deal with it....just kidding. But you could just grind the head off and take the shroud off and then reinstall it sans damaged bolt.

Good Luck

If the bolt head is recessed in the shroud try to drill the head of the bolt off if you can keep it from spinning with the drill.

When it comes down to it a new shroud is cheaper than a new tank and you may have to opt for destroying the shroud to get the bolt out.

use a drill, spin the bolt and nut combo until it melts the plastic and you can pull it out. Then get the two apart and epoxy the insert back into the tank!

Hey,

One of the nuts in my gas tank is spinning and I can't get the bolt off (which means I can't get my rad. shroud off).

Thanks !

AL

this just happened to me last week as well. So retarded. I've not done anything about just yet, but let me know what ends up working for you. I was thinking about trying an impact gun.

ohh and either install a heli-coil into the insert (as it is stainless and wont corrode/seze to bolt as easy) or be sure to use grease on the bolts!

Search for the thread that is about 4 days old to find the fix:thumbsup:

this just happened to me last week as well. So retarded. I've not done anything about just yet, but let me know what ends up working for you. I was thinking about trying an impact gun.

Me too :worthy::thumbsup: please post results.

Drill it, if it spins, drill at a 45 degree angle until the head pops off. Might also need a hammer and punch.

This happened to me on the plastic guard that covers the water pump. I used a flat blade screwdriver to pry gently on the bolt head (by puting it perpendicular to the bolt just under the plastic guard). With a bit of tension on the bolt, it held the nut just enough that I was able to get it to start to unscrew. This might be harder to do with the shroud/gas tank, especially if it's one of the top bolts. But it might be worth trying (if you haven't already) before resorting to more drastic measures.

Ive gotta put this in the FAQ.

Pull the insert out of the tank. Just grab the bolt with a vice grip and yank it out. Turn the bolt around until its at its loosest point and then just pull on the thing like a damn cave man.

Once you get the insert out, you should be able get the bolt out of the insert. Now you can save the tank. Warm up the insert with a propane torch and push it back into the tank and let it cool. Use some common sense here.

Epoxy may work, but typically it wont stick to the tank very well when it flexs and the insert will just fall back out. If you can find or collect some shavings from the tank, stick those in the hole before you heat and reinstall the insert just to take up whatever extra space that may be there.

• Like 1

Pull the insert out of the tank. Just grab the bolt with a vice grip and yank it out. Turn the bolt around until its at its loosest point and then just pull on the thing like a damn cave man.

Once you get the insert out, you should be able get the bolt out of the insert. Now you can save the tank. Warm up the insert with a propane torch and push it back into the tank and let it cool. Use some common sense here.

Epoxy may work, but typically it wont stick to the tank very well when it flexs and the insert will just fall back out. If you can find or collect some shavings from the tank, stick those in the hole before you heat and reinstall the insert just to take up whatever extra space that may be there.

thanks...sounds like the best advice thus far!:thumbsup:

That definatly needs to be a sticky :thumbsup:

Hey,

Thanks !

AL

this happened to my bike a couple of weeks ago. I put a large flat screw driver behind the plastic and placed pressure on the screw driver to keep the plastic off the tank, this seemed to work pretty good and I didnt have to poxy or helicoil anything. I needed three hands to do it but it took all of 10 minutes

:thumbsup:

caveman and common sense together? :thumbsup: Sounds like a good way to make a collosal mess.

Hey,

Thanks !

AL

So here's another remedy.

I took an impact gun and just let er rip. While it's spinning, pull on it slightly as it's heating up, it comes right out. Easy and painless. Just need to let it spin for a bit and it will get hot. Don't put your finger in the hole...It's hot!

As a follow up: I took a torch to the plug that was pulled out and put it back in the hole (careful as it moved around in there since it's heating up the plastic). Then have some cold water on hold and once you have a good alignment, start pouring the water on it. Within minutes I was able to secure the bolt back in. It's all done now. Don't heat up the aluminum plug too long as it will start melting in front of your eyes. Doesn't take much to heat it up.

102243893.jpg

large.jpg

102243895.jpg

Looks like the wAY to go RiCKK. Did you use any JB WELD or just heat the plastic and form it back in there?

Looks like the wAY to go RiCKK. Did you use any JB WELD or just heat the plastic and form it back in there?

No, do not heat the tank...if you have gas in there it could explode. :thumbsup:

Just a simple torch and heat the aluminum block you see in the images and push that back in the hole. The plastic from the tank melts around the piece and just like that, you are done!. Simple and takes 5 minutes max! Just don't heat too long...It doesn't need as much heat as you think to for the plastic to melt around it.

Now that's some good gas!