...freak'n noobie questions...

Greetings. After searching for a bike, I decided to get an XRL. It's my daily ride. I have done a few mods and have a few more in mind. I removed the air pump thingy, de-snorkled, smaller drive sprocket, Clarke tank, and an aftermarket rear rack. I originally joined a different forum site and asked similar questions. I am hoping to gather more information from folks.

1. I need to get the bars higher. Should I use taller bars or risers? What are the limits of each?

2. If I remove the baffle from the stock muffler will I get anywhere near the free flow that I would get from a quality aftermarket muffler?

3. Is it possible, or make good sense, to get a larger than stock rear tire? If so, what's too big? I'm currently riding about 60/40 asphalt/gravel.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Flycaster

Do you by chance have a Subaru?

Not that I know of???

Sorry know a guy who uses that same screen name on another forum I go to.

The baffle deal will get you only noise and no real gain from my experience.Your gonna have to bite the bullet eventually and get a slip on.I strongly recommend the FMF Q2.Before you even think about any performance mod you MUST DO DAVE'S MOD! Do not hesitate or waffle just do it-simple,cheap,and the best upgrade known to man.:thumbsup:

The baffle deal will get you only noise and no real gain from my experience.Your gonna have to bite the bullet eventually and get a slip on.I strongly recommend the FMF Q2.Before you even think about any performance mod you MUST DO DAVE'S MOD! Do not hesitate or waffle just do it-simple,cheap,and the best upgrade known to man.:thumbsup:

+1 on the Dave's mods. I did it and it is a noticeable difference. Me likey!!!

I'm in the same situation concerning the bars. I did some trailing over the weekend and found that the stock bars are too low for the stand up riding that comes with trail riding. So risers or new bars?

Sorry know a guy who uses that same screen name on another forum I go to.

No worries. Thought it might be an insider slam for the new guy.

Flycaster

Your gonna have to bite the bullet eventually and get a slip on.I strongly recommend the FMF Q2.Before you even think about any performance mod you MUST DO DAVE'S MOD! Do not hesitate or waffle just do it-simple,cheap,and the best upgrade known to man.:thumbsup:

I figured as much. I am assuming that the any slip on pipe that fits an XR650R will also fit the XRL? I will be doing Dave's mods as soon as I can order new jets. Thanks!

Flycaster

The 650L and 650R have almost nothing in common regarding parts interchange. A 650R pipe might fit, but a 650L pipe will fit. The 600R and 650L are, however, very similar... and that includes the exhaust.

There are a number of people here using risers and/or taller bars. I should be one of them at 6'4". :thumbsup: The search feature will reveal hours of reading on the subject in this forum alone. For example:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676735&highlight=CR+bend