Messed up the bike today.

i was riding at a local track today and i havent been to this one yet so i was taking it easy getting a feel for it and going up a small jump i rode easy over it and the bike just quits.

i couldnt get it started again until i took it to a big hill and rolled it down and even then it was really hard to do as i had to be at least 1/2 throttle for it to start and when i let go of the throttle for a sec it quits and a puff of smoke comes out of the left side of the engine. i knew it was oil by the way it smelled. and i sit it on concrete for about 30 mins and i saw no drop of oil so i dont think its leaking. it still kicks over so i dont think there is anything wrong with the piston or crank. i think its the valves. im tearing it down tomorrow to see what it is but i want to see if yall know what may be the culprit.

oh and btw when i first got the bike to the track i started it up 1st kick and had the choke on and while it was warming up i was getting gear on and when i turn the choke off it died. so i had to push start it but after i did that it idled fine. i think its valves but i dont know nearly as much as most people on this site.

?:worthy::busted::blah:

i was riding at a local track today and i havent been to this one yet so i was taking it easy getting a feel for it and going up a small jump i rode easy over it and the bike just quits.

i couldnt get it started again until i took it to a big hill and rolled it down and even then it was really hard to do as i had to be at least 1/2 throttle for it to start and when i let go of the throttle for a sec it quits and a puff of smoke comes out of the left side of the engine. i knew it was oil by the way it smelled. and i sit it on concrete for about 30 mins and i saw no drop of oil so i dont think its leaking. it still kicks over so i dont think there is anything wrong with the piston or crank. i think its the valves. im tearing it down tomorrow to see what it is but i want to see if yall know what may be the culprit.

oh and btw when i first got the bike to the track i started it up 1st kick and had the choke on and while it was warming up i was getting gear on and when i turn the choke off it died. so i had to push start it but after i did that it idled fine. i think its valves but i dont know nearly as much as most people on this site.

?:worthy::busted::blah:

Sounds like your valves zeroed out and your heads shot to me. But i have seen zeroed out valves somehow not ruin a head before.But even if it does arent heads for the crfs like 140?

ok i just pulled the tank off the bike and the first thing i notice is the breather hose to the valve cover was off. i think thats where the puff of smoke came from. i checked the oil and it was 3/4 the way up the dipstick and it didnt look milky from water or anything. all looked good inside the valve cover but thats as far as i got.

I would try a new spark plug.

The choke left on while you were getting geared up may have fouled the plug.

Choke to start and then move to middle for a minute and then to off position to warm up.

could that be why it wont kickstart. it ran fine after i push started it. oh well its worth a try.

could that be why it wont kickstart. it ran fine after i push started it. oh well its worth a try.

If the gap on the plug is all sooted up you will get a real weak or almost no spark from kicking it, but may run with a bump start.

Eliminate the simple stuff before you do a tear down.

If the gap on the plug is all sooted up you will get a real weak or almost no spark from kicking it, but may run with a bump start.

Eliminate the simple stuff before you do a tear down.

well that was half of the problem. the starting problem. it started after about 10 kicks and i was reving it up to keep it off idle and i let it idle for about 3 secs and then it acted as if it bogged out and then it died. i tried to start it again but it never would completely turn over. it would sputter for a sec but that was it. and i think the running problem is my valves. i believe they are shot.

how are your piston/rings. How many hours on them? And what rebuild process did you use, or is it still OEM stuff from the factory?

I don't think a valve seal will cause a plug to be covered in oil... I would look at your piston. But it wouldn't hurt to also replace the valve seals, they aren't that expensive.

Time for a rebuild, take your time and make sure you do it all correctly, it sounds like you do not have to much experience rebuilding or working on the motors so take your time and follow all of the how-to's on this site. You will be just fine.