Sign in to follow this  

where to get an old frame with street legal title?

Where would be the best place to find a frame with a clean street legal title? Im looking "to build up a street legal bike out of it"...winking0052.gif

tried searching but only found complete bikes... any other ideas??

What are you looking for exactly? It should be easy to find.

Try Craigslist. Look for old neglected bikes. You may have to strip off the rest of the bike to get down to the frame. More of these on Cragislist in my area than ebay. As the other poster suggested a junkyard may be the best source.

My first thought would be a salvage yard, though probably the cheaper alternative would be as mentioned previously craigslist, you could run an add of what you are looking for, people around where I live do it all the time.

Just got an 05 kx frame from flea-bay for 200.

The problem with most states a frame(only) can't be titled unless the old frame is titled.Or the frame will state the it was sold as "frame only"

I was lucky with mine.The frame came with a clear title.

All I want is a "clear title"... or one that can or is street legalable!

Dont really need the physical frame, but dont think I could get a title with out a frame. Basically just want the rights to the VIN numbre'

[flame suit on]

If you can't figure that part out, good luck not getting caught with whatever brilliant scheme you are composing.

If you can't figure that part out, good luck not getting caught with whatever brilliant scheme you are composing.

eat a D...

• Like 1

A couple of things to consider:

Some state laws require salvage yards to surrender title so that may not be your best source.

I agree with others that CL is a good source.

Motorcycle salvage yard

yup. wrecking yard. I've got a few 'round these parts. If you're cool they usually go out of their way to help you out.

Messing with the VIN's and putting a plate from another vehicle on are both illegal and will get you in trouble if you are pulled over by the police for any reason. If the cop looks up you plate and it says CBR900 and you are riding an XR600, that will be bad for you.

Messing with the VIN's and putting a plate from another vehicle on are both illegal and will get you in trouble if you are pulled over by the police for any reason. If the cop looks up you plate and it says CBR900 and you are riding an XR600, that will be bad for you.

That assumes that the cop knows the difference. :thumbsup:

He might also be looking for a frame to put a motor in...

One of the few paths for us in Florida to title an off-road only motorcycle is to build it chopper-style from the frame up. I too am keeping an eye open for frames that I can build a cool supermoto out of. Yeah you can wait to find a bike titled in another state and go through buying an out of state bike and shipping it. But building your own the way you want it seems like way more fun to me. it also spreads out the cost of a new(to me) bike. Good luck with your search and keep us posted on what you're doing(if you can).

Anything is possible: I know of a simular situation where the LEO was knowedgable about MCs. He stopped a plated Honda CR on a dirt road. The registration said Honda XL and a plate check confirmed it was licensed as a Honda XL, but it looked like a CR with a XR engine. The LEO next checked the VIN number on the steering head and it matched the registration (it was physically a real VIN from a XL). Sometimes when it looks like a duck it might be something else.

Good luck on your project.