Wheelie Practice Vid

We took the DRZ's out to "the spot" today for some wheelie practice. I've been working on trying to find balance point and slow the wheelies down more....that way when I get into second or third I should be able to go for days. My buddy on the black sm kinda got the short end of the proverbial stick on the vids when my batteries went dead in the camera, he actually had some decent ones later on.

My vid in first gear

RJ's vid also in first

And some pics

Picture006.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

nice going guys...

i'm no expert as i haven't found that illusive BP yet...but my son can keep his up "for days" in all gears, and with pillion ?

he runs stock sprocket on the rear and 15t at the front

the guy on the black one looks a little 'uncomfortable'.....i think experts might say he should lean back more

great going though....glad you found somewhere to practice...that's half the problem !

K

Only thing i would say is pop it up into second and keep the RPM's lower.

Gives you more control and power if needed.

If you listen to this one you can here me change gear really early to keep the rpm low.

Enjoy and stay safe ?

+1 Grant

hpi~ looks like you have the basics down as far as shifting on one wheel. great job. It took me a LONG time to get that part down. once you do, the quality of your wheelies improve greatly! i never had the wheely gene, but after learning to time my shifts i can now wheely down streets pretty damn far!

I think it's easier to use the second gear when practising, because the front wheel won't come up as rapid as it does in the first. You have more time to think and you don't have to shift immidiately. I'm not using the first gear at all, because I can take the front wheel up anywhere between 10 to 30 mph with the second. Then using the third gear 30mph+.

Your wheelie in the first vid looks nice ?

+1 Grant

hpi~ looks like you have the basics down as far as shifting on one wheel. great job. It took me a LONG time to get that part down. once you do, the quality of your wheelies improve greatly! i never had the wheely gene, but after learning to time my shifts i can now wheely down streets pretty damn far!

+1 to that as well Zac.

I definately wasnt born with a natural talent for them, but with 2 years of practice i can outt wheelie all but one of my friends ?

I'm surprised the gear nazi's haven't got a hold of this thread yet.

Yeah, me too... honestly, it makes a great deal of sense to put some protection on when your are doing stuff where you just know sooner or later you will crash.

But Hell, they are young... and skin grows back.

My DRZ is so easy to wheelie at BP that I can't stop hoisting the front all over.......so much so that wheelying on my R1 feels almost foreign to me now (and I used to wheelie that thing like a madman).

Nice vids!

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

are ur bikes stock gearing wise? Nice wheelies :worthy:

Yep, stock gearing on both bikes.

+1 Grant

No shifting for me ? We're both in first gear the whole time. I have a buddy who can row through the gearbox pretty well though 1st through 4th. I may eventually get to that point, but to be honest if you get balance point down pat you can bring up 2nd or 3rd and there's really no need to be rowing through gears if you're at bp.

I'm surprised the gear nazi's haven't got a hold of this thread yet. Anyways nice wheelies. Try it in second now. I find wheelies with a little more speed are easier than going slower.

You should him rippin 'em in shorts and a tshirt. By his standards he'd fully geared up....but I hear ya though. I've tried to tell him, but oh well. I do some second gears also but like I say I'm trying to get slow wheelies down and find the balance point. If you can ride out a first gear slow BP wheelie then it's endless what you can do from there.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Yep, stock gearing on both bikes.

No shifting for me ? We're both in first gear the whole time. I have a buddy who can row through the gearbox pretty well though 1st through 4th. I may eventually get to that point, but to be honest if you get balance point down pat you can bring up 2nd or 3rd and there's really no need to be rowing through gears if you're at bp.

You should him rippin 'em in shorts and a tshirt. By his standards he'd fully geared up....but I hear ya though. I've tried to tell him, but oh well. I do some second gears also but like I say I'm trying to get slow wheelies down and find the balance point. If you can ride out a first gear slow BP wheelie then it's endless what you can do from there.

well damn! that was a long wheely in first! excellent job! i am too much of a squid to do one that long in first!!!

That's true. That 1st gear wheelie was great, you should definitely try the 2nd aswell, because you seem to handle the bike well :worthy: It will keep the rpm low and thereby make it even easier to wheelie long distance.

Hi do you rev the bike and use the clutch when doing wheelies or just open it up when in gear

I clutch all my wheelies up for two reasons. One it will snap the bike right up to bp, whereas using only throttle you build up a lot of speed by the time you get anywhere near bp. You can do the power it up thing, but unless you plan on banging a shift to drop the RPM's so you don't run outta gear or motor it'll probably be a short wheelie. Two....and don't get me wrong I LOVE my DRZ but they aren't exactly the most powerful tard out there......but I knew that going in, and besides I didn't buy a supermoto to win any HP shootouts. Thanks for all the kind words guys, I'm gonna keep looking for a place to practice some second gears. I've found the bike likes to be brought up in second at around 22-28 mph and where we were you run out of room in hurry in second.