Sign in to follow this  

08 610 a deep water

gidday im about to order anew 08 te 610 i went and had agood look over one and was concerned about a couple of things do they go through deep water ok as the air box seems low can you block off the lower part of the air box and let it breath through the top and how do u fellas go with out having a kick start as a back up i would hate to get caught in a deep gully if the battery dies

cheer ocd

gidday im about to order anew 08 te 610 i went and had agood look over one and was concerned about a couple of things do they go through deep water ok as the air box seems low can you block off the lower part of the air box and let it breath through the top and how do u fellas go with out having a kick start as a back up i would hate to get caught in a deep gully if the battery dies

cheer ocd

stroke is too long to kick, iirc

mate the old 570 i used to ride was a kick start and im assuming that the stroke was the same and it was a LEFT kick as was myKTM 620sc bit tricky the big bores to kick better than pushing up a hill though

mate the old 570 i used to ride was a kick start and im assuming that the stroke was the same and it was a LEFT kick as was myKTM 620sc bit tricky the big bores to kick better than pushing up a hill though

Yes you can add a kicker if you really want to. The auto decompress will let it kick through the stoke with little more effort than what you can apply with you're hand.

i was more worried about how good the starter motor was and if the battery charging was ok ive seen wr yamaha and crf hondas need tho use the kicker on rides after they have been drowned there are a lot of creeks at some of our riding spots my ktm was never a problem original battery for 5 years must of got a good one

Yes you can add a kicker if you really want to. The auto decompress will let it kick through the stoke with little more effort than what you can apply with you're hand.

Ask the man who owns one.... I installed the kicker parts from the '98-99 TE610E in my '03 four years ago. It was a complete waste of time and money. It's too bad I didn't check with George Erl first, he would have told me this. Kicker doesn't turn engine over fast enough to engage the auto decompress. I was going to borrow the manual decompression release set up off the TE400 I owned at the time, to see if that would do it, but gave up.:thumbsup:

Norman

Ask the man who owns one.... I installed the kicker parts from the '98-99 TE610E in my '03 four years ago. It was a complete waste of time and money. It's too bad I didn't check with George Erl first, he would have told me this. Kicker doesn't turn engine over fast enough to engage the auto decompress. I was going to borrow the manual decompression release set up off the TE400 I owned at the time, to see if that would do it, but gave up.:thumbsup:

Norman

I don't think he was actually trying to start it with the kicker. I thought he just wanted something to clear the cylinder after drowning.

My TXC's don't take deep water as good as my 06' TC510. :thumbsup: Maybe it has something to do with the airbox profile being straighter or something. I might try to design a little bolt-on airbox breather attachment to install for real wet days.

The 610 airbox is different than all the others. it does not open on the top just the side and if you block it off the bike won't run. I thought about carrying a run of duct tape to tape the hole off just before deep water to see if it would hold up for a couple of minutes.

OTOH the 610 airbox has a big drain on the bottom to drain out splashes quickly.

thats what im getting at fellas the air box is low and the intake is at the bottom not the top as most bikes and i dont to waste battery turning it over to dewater it as pointed out the best way is to turn it over with the kicker i thought about taping up the intake as well through water crossings an maybe cut a hole in the top of the air box to keep it running

The 610 airbox is different than all the others. it does not open on the top just the side and if you block it off the bike won't run. I thought about carrying a run of duct tape to tape the hole off just before deep water to see if it would hold up for a couple of minutes.

OTOH the 610 airbox has a big drain on the bottom to drain out splashes quickly.

My TE610E Airbox is a little different, as battery is in it even though it's side mounted, but same principle. I carry duct tape as Rich says for deep crossings. The big drain is a double edge sword.... water flows in as easy as it flows out!

Rich, did you get to ride Beehive? I heard it was dusty. Someday i'll get to it!

Norman

well it looks like the duct tape is the go thanks for the replys I get the bike next week lookin foward to giving it a run