Looking to buy or trade for a used Trials bike in southeast

Hey all,

Took a ride on a sherco 290 today and fell in love with it. So i'm looking for a used trials bike in the southeast area.

I would love to trade someone my dirtbike for their trials bike. I have a nice 2006 KTM 250SXF with less than 30 original hours on it. JD jetting kit, flatlands head shield. Other than that it is pretty well stock. Bike looks and runs like its brand new. Never raced, just trail riden. Bike is in Mid. TN and would love to trade for a trials bike.

What brands and sizes would be a good starter bike for me? I've riden dirtbikes all my life, but no trials. I'm 6'2" and 250lbs. Ride mostly tight single track with lots of technical stuff that a trials bike would be perfect for.

Thanks,

Josh

are you in South Dakota or TN?

if TN take a trip to Sequatchie and talk to Charlie

he will let you testride their whole fleet

and he will mostlikly trade for your KTM

or you put your bike up for sale separately and Charlie will hold your trials bike for you

at the moment there is a "04 Beta Rev-3 250cc" on Atlanta Craigs list

should not be too far from mid TN

what size? this is a FAQ

you say you have some throttle control? then it really does not matter as long as you stay away from 125s, you might be on the heavy side for the very-small displacement

A "trials bike place"??? OMG, you are talking about a trials heaven.

Just do a search for trials training center, that will get you to the website.

Good luck with your search.

Also check sites like RYP and Lewisport for the used listings.

I did this exact same thing about a year ago. Sold a perfectly good 2005 WR250F and bought an '05 GasGas 300. I was sorely afraid I would miss the seat. I haven't. Given the lack of land to ride on, and your location, you will get a lot more out of a trials bike than you ever would from an Enduro machine.

I'm down in Huntsville, Alabama. Where are you located in Middle Tennessee? There is a good bit of trials here as well as down around Birmingham. And of course the TTC is the best place to play.

A GasGas 300 would give you more power than you have on your current bike. I'd actually like to move 'down' to a slightly smaller bike to work on technique but they are all pretty hard to find down here.

John

lynchburg, tn

So i'm about an hour from huntsville. I have about 400 acres of nasty hills and stuff to play on with a trials bike or dirtbike. I am sure i would love a trials bike though, thats my thinking so far on getting one. I would love to trade my ktm for one even if i come out @ a lose. Looking to get one very soon so i can have it for our next big rides coming up.

lynchburg, tn

So i'm about an hour from huntsville. I have about 400 acres of nasty hills and stuff to play on with a trials bike or dirtbike. I am sure i would love a trials bike though, thats my thinking so far on getting one.

A trials bike is the absolute best machine for these southeastern hills. Mud, leaves, rocks, steep. Going up dry stream beds is my favorite. You will be glad of the switch. Coming from an Enduro bike it is like a mountainbike with an engine.

I would love to trade my ktm for one even if i come out @ a lose. Looking to get one very soon so i can have it for our next big rides coming up.

What is your KTM worth?

John

I'm not sure exactly what its worth. Probably the mid to high 3k range. I would say 3500 is the average asking price for 06's. I've seen some go as high as 3900 depending on the shape they are in. And my bike is in that kind of shape, super low hours, extremely clean, maintained.

I'm not sure what trials bikes go for used though.

I have a 2001 gas gas 321 for sale - 1800. chattanooga, tn.

trials training center has quite a few for sale. at least they did when i was there taking a class a couple years ago.

Interested in a 06' KTM 250sxf? You could make money off of it, i couldn;t trade you even but i would cut you an awesome deal.

Keep your eye on this. Might not be a bad buy.

You could buy that one outright and still keep the KTM. Last I checked, rear fender about $110.

From where I sit, everything looks pretty straight and the 2001 Gas Gas is one of the best Trials Bikes to start out on and works well on single track trails.

The only flaw I can see is the chunk of rubberized graphics missing from the right rear of the gas tank.

Keep your eye on this. Might not be a bad buy.

I went and tried this bike out this evening. The guy is about five miles from my house. It is what I'd call a beater. It starts easily and runs steady but is very rattly. Smokes a bit. At a minimum I'd say it needs a new rear fender, a new front fender, fork seals, rear sprocket, chain, front brakes, and a top end. Tank doesn't seem to fit tightly. Rubber fuel hoses are showing signs of dry rot. It has clearly been ridden a lot. Might not be a bad starter bike but it is pretty rough and the compression seems low. I'm not sure it is something I'd take very far into the woods and I really don't think it would be worth more than $1,500 at the MOST.

-John

I would run away from that one. It could easily cost you another $2,000 to bring it up to OK status. And even then, it could be a gamble.

It sounds like the owner fell out of "love" with the bike some time ago and that means everything will get neglected including items that you can't see until you take it apart like all of the bearings, swing arm pivot, rear suspension linkage, rear shock and on and on.