Just Bought a 97 DR 350 SE. Think it needs some tuning. Help.

Hey all. I'm new to riding and a 1st time thumper. I think it will be a great way to spend time with my son when he is a little older (trail riding). However, at the moment my DR 350 could probably be running a little better. I've heard the DR 350 gets between 70-80 mpg for commuting. Is this true or a bunch of bull? My bike is currently getting 55 mpg. I'm new to riding so I don't have much to compare to. I fully intend on learnig how to fine tune this bike myself. Like most first ventures I expect the learning curve to be great and the mistakes plentiful. At the moment my only resources aside from paying someone else to do everything is the web.

Welcome. The DR 350 is a nice dual sport.

So I've heard. Thanks. It took me four attemps to aquire on.

You should be able to get all the tech tip you need on TT. Good luck.

I have a 96 DR350 and a few years ago I took it for a 260 mile ride, mostly on the highway and didn't hit reserve until I was 1/4 mile from being back home. This is with a larger aftermarket tank, but when I calculated my mileage, it was 75 mpg. This was with stock jetting, which was lean. I have since rejetted the carb but haven't taken it for a long ride in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if it is now closer to your 55mpg numbers though.

It's been a great bike for me. These things are bulletproof. I have about 8000 miles on it now and it has taken some pretty good spills in the dirt and on the rocks. Still runs as good as the day I bought it. It was my first bike as well and it was a good bike to learn on. I finally upgraded to a KTM 450 last year but I still have the DR.