Sign in to follow this  

New XR 650 Owner needs some expertise.. Mods, etc..

Laugh if you want- but I am new to this site. I am observant, though- and I know a whole LOT of helpful and knowledgeable guys when I see them.

I have an '08 XR 650 L- I just bought it in May, and have since racked up 4,000 miles on it.

I wanted to be sure it was good and broken in before I do any mods to it.

My question to all the users of this site, are-

1) What re-jetting kit do you recommend?? Brand? Which has worked the best overall?

2) What is this "Daves Mods?" Is this a service? A jet kit? something you can buy? I would appreciate some links to where I can find more info about him and what he has to say.

3) Which aftermarket air filter? I have seen alot of Uni users here- any K&N folks out there??

4) What aftermarket exhaust? I have seen White Brothers, FMF, and Staintune, among others. I can't afford to blow 10 bike payments on an exhaust, though- which is cost effective and most of all, performance enhancing?

I GREATLY appreciate your input, guys- as I am new to the XR game. I have been tooling around on an original low-milage 1973 SL 350 for the last 5 years, and it is really cool- but almost unbelievable how different the "grandson" is from the "Granddaddy!" I have ridden the XR enough this summer to make my butt iron and prove to me it is a worthy machine of dumping some $$$ into, but like everyone else- I am not made of money and need to stretch my bucks as far as they can go.

Thanks! I look forward to your replies! -Josh

Laugh if you want- but I am new to this site. I am observant, though- and I know a whole LOT of helpful and knowledgeable guys when I see them.

I have an '08 XR 650 L- I just bought it in May, and have since racked up 4,000 miles on it.

I wanted to be sure it was good and broken in before I do any mods to it.

My question to all the users of this site, are-

1) What re-jetting kit do you recommend?? Brand? Which has worked the best overall?

2) What is this "Daves Mods?" Is this a service? A jet kit? something you can buy? I would appreciate some links to where I can find more info about him and what he has to say.

3) Which aftermarket air filter? I have seen alot of Uni users here- any K&N folks out there??

4) What aftermarket exhaust? I have seen White Brothers, FMF, and Staintune, among others. I can't afford to blow 10 bike payments on an exhaust, though- which is cost effective and most of all, performance enhancing?

I GREATLY appreciate your input, guys- as I am new to the XR game. I have been tooling around on an original low-milage 1973 SL 350 for the last 5 years, and it is really cool- but almost unbelievable how different the "grandson" is from the "Granddaddy!" I have ridden the XR enough this summer to make my butt iron and prove to me it is a worthy machine of dumping some $$$ into, but like everyone else- I am not made of money and need to stretch my bucks as far as they can go.

Thanks! I look forward to your replies! -Josh

Welcome to the world of the L!

Do Dave's Mods. Cheaper and more effective in rejetting the L. See the FAQ in here for instr.

Go with Uni or Twin Air foam filters if ride any dirt. K&N flows too well.

Keep an eye on EBAY for any pipes. Used or new. I like WB E2 and E series pipes.

Welcome to the world of the L!

Do Dave's Mods. Cheaper and more effective in rejetting the L. See the FAQ in here for instr.

Go with Uni or Twin Air foam filters if ride any dirt. K&N flows too well.

Keep an eye on EBAY for any pipes. Used or new. I like WB E2 and E series pipes.

Thanks for the info,man! I still am having trouble finding Dave's mods, though- is there a link you could give me to get directly to it? I can't seem to find the FAQ link on this site. I will keep my eyes open on ebay for a WB pipe.. Also- most of my riding is on pavement- but I like to tear up the off-road when I can. Could you tell me why the higher flow of the K&N is a bad thing?? Thanks again, Martinfan!!!

Welcome,

I have a 08 XR 650L with:

Filter: Uni

Exhaust: FMF Q2

Handlebars: ProTaper Contour

Lowering Link: XR´s Only (I´m 5.7)

Also Dave´s Mods, this bike is a monster, totally diferent from the stock one.

Next step Dynojet stage 1(re-jetting kit)

XR 650L Best bike ever made !!!

Awesome!! Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Ahhhhhhh haaaaaaaa(insert Maniacal laughing here) Let the addiction begin!!! I've had mine for just over a month, did the mods, now looking at new rubber(Dunlop 606 rear, Scorpian Pro front), Heavy duty tubes, handlebar,(Pro Taper Somethingrather CR High bend) Grips(undecided), Acerbis 5.8 tank and just ordered a A Trail tech Vapor computer w/ dashboard.

I keep telling myself once all that is done, I'll be set....oh yeah, a 14 tooth counter sprocket and a 48 tooth rear, then I'll be done......I'm starting to feel like Steve Martin at the end of "The Jerk" All I need is this thermos, and this lamp...and this chair.........:worthy:

I might get around to replacing my pipe, but I've done plenty of other things first. To be honest, I really appreciate the super-quiet stock pipe. I know I know I know...it's heavy and restrictive. But I'm telling you, I've snuck through places when riding because nobody noticed me and I was glad on more than one occasion. And I routinely take my kids riding in some local "undisclosed locations" with their CRF's - we all have stock (read: Quiet) pipes and I really think that's a big part of why nobody seems to mind. Definitely get a uni filter and do Dave's mods - it's easy and cheap...and works very well. Let us know what you think of the difference!

- taking time out of your lives to inform me on what to do..

I hate to burst your bubble there Road Toad, but this IS our lives.:thumbsup:

Pathetic? Yes. But it's all we have...

Just did the Dave Mod, Uni Filter, smog removal. Yep. It is a whole new bike. Not as snappy as my CRF but so much better than stock. I wish I had better confidence in the turns. But that will come.

Could you tell me why the higher flow of the K&N is a bad thing?? Thanks again, Martinfan!!!

The K&N filter is open enough that I and many others have found a fine coating of dust on the inside of the airbox meaning it got through the filter. Again, street...not much of an issue, depending on your location and surroundings, but for offroad where fine dust and silt would just get pulled through, no good. When Martinfan says they Flow TOO well, thats what he meant.

• Like 1

The K&N filter is open enough that I and many others have found a fine coating of dust on the inside of the airbox meaning it got through the filter. Again, street...not much of an issue, depending on your location and surroundings, but for offroad where fine dust and silt would just get pulled through, no good. When Martinfan says they Flow TOO well, thats what he meant.

:thumbsup:

In addition to that, the K&N filters don't usually fit as well in the airbox and can potentially let dirt bypass the filter altogether. Oiled foam filters are much, MUCH better for dusty environments.

• Like 1

In addition to that, the K&N filters don't usually fit as well in the airbox and can potentially let dirt bypass the filter altogether. Oiled foam filters are much, MUCH better for dusty environments.

Thanks for the explanation, guys.. I always thought K&N's were a superb filter, but i guess I have changed my mind about that. I think I may buy both, the K&N for winter and the Uni for summer. I think that would work better for me, there is only 3 months or so of the year where I live that it is dusty enough to be a concern.