09 KLX250S, are parts interchangeable with 07?

I'm new to DS bikes and I could use a little help getting some parts. I've seen posts for aftermarket parts that fit my 09 KLX250S but when I go to websites to check them out my model and year don't show up on ANY of the fitment guides or drop down ordering lists.

Will parts for an 07 KLX250S or a KLX300 fit my bike?

This is what I'm wanting to get right now:

Handguards

Gel grips

short clutch and fb levers

tank bag

luggage rack

cycleracks.com has a rack I'm going to get specifically for my bike.

Found a tank bag to fit at this forum. http://klxforum.suncup.net/index.php

This forum has lots of good info on it.

Will levers for an 07 fit my 09?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

As for handguards, many are universal and can fit rather well. I went with Tusk D-Flex and they fit rather well out the box. Most, but not all, parts from the 2007 will fit the 2009. They share the same frame. Can't say specifically about any of those others, though.

Welcome to TT!

I'm new to DS bikes and I could use a little help getting some parts. I've seen posts for aftermarket parts that fit my 09 KLX250S but when I go to websites to check them out my model and year don't show up on ANY of the fitment guides or drop down ordering lists.

Will parts for an 07 KLX250S or a KLX300 fit my bike?

This is what I'm wanting to get right now:

Handguards

Gel grips

short clutch and fb levers

tank bag

luggage rack

cycleracks.com has a rack I'm going to get specifically for my bike.

Found a tank bag to fit at this forum. http://klxforum.suncup.net/index.php

This forum has lots of good info on it.

Will levers for an 07 fit my 09?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

I think you're generally good for compatibility. I'm sure someone will find something that doesn't fit on the 07 but does on the 09 eventually.

What tank bag did you find on that forum? I'm looking for something to put my "roads of texas" maps onto.

Just checked out the Tusk handguards at www.rockymountainatvmc.com

I think I'll give them a shot. I've heard I may have to drill and tap my bars to get them mounted but we'll give it a shot.

Has anyone done this on a 09 klx250 yet?

As for handguards, many are universal and can fit rather well. I went with Tusk D-Flex and they fit rather well out the box. Most, but not all, parts from the 2007 will fit the 2009. They share the same frame. Can't say specifically about any of those others, though.

Welcome to TT!

Do you have a picture of the guards? Which ones did you get? They have many, many "D-Flex" models.

Again, pics would rock!

i got a set of moose guards on mine with renthal bars and theyre workin out nicely....i would grab a nice set of alloy bars and save the time tinkering with the stock ones....

i got a set of moose guards on mine with renthal bars and theyre workin out nicely....i would grab a nice set of alloy bars and save the time tinkering with the stock ones....

Which Renthal bars do you have? Do you have a part number? Renthal's site doesn't even link to this bike.

I'd like to see what bars you got as well Danger.

Were they a pretty straight forward installation? What were the benefits of making the switch?

Thanks.

im not sure of the part number.... sorry...but i think a renthal cr bend 7/8 bar was what i grabbed... one thing i had to do was drill holes for the electronics to mount to the bars but that was a piece of cake in aluminum

moose racing contour handguards fit on these bars nicely!!!

you might encounter a little rubbing on the handguard mounts from the clutch cable but perhaps a lower bend on the bars could remedy this problem??

I can't recommend the Tusk guards. That cool adjustable inner mount is weak. Mine broke on the first crash. There was a thread in the General Forum about them. I'm making mounts that will use the upper tripple clamp bolts.

Which Renthal bars do you have? Do you have a part number? Renthal's site doesn't even link to this bike.
I put Renthal bars 7/8" MX bend (I went with CR) on both my son's 07 KLX250 and my bro-in-law's 09 KLX250. I did *not* drill out the bars ... instead just simply took off the plastic tab inside the electronics mount with a grinder.

For bark busters both Moose and Zeta's fit the Renthal's nicely, except I added the "extender" mount to better clear the brake reservoir.

Here are a couple pics.

My bro-in-laws Moose guards/bars after he went down in a big mud puddle during the Hancock NY National 2 day Dual Sport. :thumbsup:

IMG_0668.jpg

Here is a shot of my son's right side Zeta guard.

led1.jpg

Do you have a picture of the guards? Which ones did you get? They have many, many "D-Flex" models.

Again, pics would rock!

Tusk D-Flex handguards, dunno of any others.

57ed34f6.jpg

They fit pretty much striaght out of the box, with slight tweaking of the cable routing and a bracket or two. Tap the holes in the end of the bars, trim the grips, wham bam thankya ma'am. :thumbsup:

Watch which bars you get . I went with a Pro Taper CR high bend and the base is wider than the stock bars and I had a hard time getting the controls to mount up. The clutch perch and throttle are farther from the original position that and the higher bend took a lot of slack out of the cables. I put Cycra Pro Bend hand guards on my '09 250s but I had to trim thr clutch lever to get them to fit. The KLX300 air filter fits the 250s air box. Wish I could find some backrounds for the front and side # plates.

Gargoyle,

Where did you get the Renthals bars that are on your brother-in-laws red KLX in the photo? At renthals website I think they are the 7/8" MX/Off-road handlebars.

What is the benefit to aftermarket handlebars. Again I'm new to any kind of off road riding so any knowledge would be appreciated.

Great photo by the way.

Clifsta I have your exact some bike. Do the bars feel a little low when standing up to you? I'm 6' and I feel like I have to hunch over a little.

I've been looking at several different forums for help with my new "hobby" and thumpertalk has by far been the most helpful. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Do the bars feel a little low when standing up to you? I'm 6' and I feel like I have to hunch over a little.

I've been looking at several different forums for help with my new "hobby" and thumpertalk has by far been the most helpful. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Get some Tusk universal bar risers also at rockymtn. They're $19.99 and a lifesaver and available in standard (7/8") and oversize (1 -1/8" diameter). I'm 6'2" tall. There will be standing for long durations when hitting the single track trails.:thumbsup:

Where did you get the Renthals bars that are on your brother-in-laws red KLX in the photo? At renthals website I think they are the 7/8" MX/Off-road handlebars.
We got them at our local dealer (Dutchess Recreational Vehicles) and yes they are the 7/8" MX/Off-road model.
What is the benefit to aftermarket handlebars. Again I'm new to any kind of off road riding so any knowledge would be appreciated.
I put them on all three bikes because ... the barkbusters fit without modification of the bars, lighter in weight and for me personally I have been using Renthals for 10 years now and I like the bar bend for my riding style.