New Top End 03 cr 250

Ive never done my own piston and rings and was wondering what the best way to do them is. Should I send it out? Or finally learn how to do it myself?

If money and time isnt a problem with this repair, and you like to support your local dealer or fav race shop, by all means send it!

But, if your more like the rest of us and want your bike fixed yesterday, and want to learn more about your machine, get a factory manual, and do the job yourself, its very easy, the only small issue with your bike is the exhaust bridge, your new piston may need to have a few cooling holes drilled, depending on which piston you select. This is also very simple and instructions are included with your piston kit. You could also just go for fresh ring/rings depending on your piston, and its condition and how much time is on it. After you have done it once you will wonder why you thought it was going to be difficult. Dont forget to order your gaskets as well when ordering parts.

Ive never done my own piston and rings and was wondering what the best way to do them is. Should I send it out? Or finally learn how to do it myself?

If you plan on continuing to ride dirtbikes, you should learn how to do it yourself. Buy a service manual and read it several times. Buy the neccesary tools. Torque wrench 0 to 50 lbs, metric socket set and wrench set.

it's pretty simple to do, there are a lot of writeups on how to do it all over the net and on this site, a couple things, make sure to use new piston pin retaining clips do not reuse the old ones especially with no experience doing top ends, put a new wrist pin bearing in its cheap insurance, and when removing the old piston pin retaining clips cover the open crank case with clean rags so that if you drop the clip it does not fall into the bottom end cause that can be a real pain in the arse.

you can save yourself buying a new head gasket if you leave the head on the cylinder.

clean your power valves while your in there.

the 4th nut in the rc valve cover you will not be able to get a torque wrench on and will have to do by hand comparing to the feel of the other ones.

Thanks for the input. I did a top end when I was a kid with a freind of mine but totally forgot what was intailed. Thanks alot.