Sign in to follow this  

Showa suspension race report

I used the Showa converted bike for my motos Sunday to see how she handled on a real track. The bikes overall performance was very good. I'm still learning that track so I was casing a couple of the jumps. The suspension ate up the hit where it didn't feel like I was bottoming out and "slapping" against the ground. I did notice though that when the suspension rebounds it seems to "spring" up a little. Maybe stiffen the rebound adjusters?

The gloat: 3rd (really tied with 2nd) on the holeshot through to 1/4 of a lap. 10th place out of 21. My body ran out of gas on the second lap. :thumbsup:

The KX has nothing but traction. I even had a slight bog when the gate dropped but held back from dabbing the clutch.

Sounds like its rebounding too fast. Try slowing the rebound down a click at a time. Turn towards the H not the S.

Nice! I love it when things work out. RM 125 shock has a light spring from the factory btw. Definitly increase the rebound clickers 2 or 3 clicks. I remember one of the rags saying they had to stiffen the rebound and compresion 2 or so clicks from the factory setting.

Over time, I have become overly sensitive to suspension settings. I can feel single click adjustments. I have made my girlfriend equally sensitive to minor adjustments also, sometimes its a pain. The 250 is heavier and has more power, both will affect the the way the suspension reacts. Plus the shock is from an entirely differant bike. If its working decently as is, it sounds like its in the ballpark and only needs some minor fine tuning. Try the 1 click at a time method, take a few laps and adjust accordingly. I try not to follow the magazines set ups as far as suspension goes, suspension set up is a very personal thing, what works for someone else in another part of the country may not work for you here in good ole Jersey.

I have made my girlfriend equally sensitive to minor adjustments also,

Sweet. :thumbsup: lol

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'll play around with the clickers. I'm still stoked that it worked as well as it did. I know if I had the stock stuff on there I would have kissed the dirt. I'm not saying the stock stuff couldn't have been improved, just the stock suspension I have was wierd. Like I mentioned in the other post, the bike really hooks up now. Little whoops I can just grap some gas and wheelie over them. (2 year old piston :worthy: )

Sweet. :thumbsup: lol

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'll play around with the clickers. I'm still stoked that it worked as well as it did. I know if I had the stock stuff on there I would have kissed the dirt. I'm not saying the stock stuff couldn't have been improved, just the stock suspension I have was wierd. Like I mentioned in the other post, the bike really hooks up now. Little whoops I can just grap some gas and wheelie over them. (2 year old piston :worthy: )

Holy cow, i dont think a new top end would hurt it any though by now.

Ha ha. Naah, I'm pretty good on the maintenance. I just haven't gotten around to that motor yet. She still rips! Heck, I out dragged all those new thumpers. :thumbsup:

jeenksie, nice to see all is workin on your new ride, kind of why we prefer the showa stuff on the big kawis

facts posted on ride at track day veiw photos, pictures never lie lol