Doubles!

Alright, this may be a suspension question but here goes. Last year I cased a double so hard that the last thing I remember was trying to hang on and then hit the ground several times. Well I fractured my pelvis and 2 vertebrae in my back. This past weekend I was rolling this set of 3 doubles when a good friendof mine 50 years old did all 3 of them so I decided I would do it. Well I hesitated and cased the first one and almost had a similar experience as the time before. I know I came up short but shouldn't the suspension take most of that up or is there something I can do to better hang or recover because I'm going to do that set of doubles. Thanks!!!!

If your looking at your suspension, sounds like you might need to stiffen a bit, too soft and you can get all squirlly on hard landings. If your new to jumping, you probably have you suspension too soft. Remember, it's always better to over jump then to come up short.

When I am just trying to get a jump dialed in that will kick or land hard I stiffin up the compression (screw in the clickers) as well as slow down the rebound (screw in the clickers).

This creates a stiff ride but dampens the shock of hitting hard as well as slows down the rebound so I don't get thrown off.

The downside is you get less lift from the suspension. Of course this is only on jumps where they are abrupt and you get much lift from the suspension.

I usually go in 4-6 clicks from normal. When you start backing them out do it a few at a time as your riding style will have adapted to the stiff and have to ease into the softer suspension both on the jumps as well as the other riding.

I can't help you on the suspension, but I can tell you that when you are coming up short to stay in the attack position. Most people get as far back as they can. Also, make sure to jump, land and that your position is as straight as possible because your bike will bounce.

There are much bigger doubles at this particular track that I've been jumping with no problem. It's the times that I come up short, which isn't to often, that I know what the consequences are for me. My question which THANKS most of you answered was what can I do different to keep from getting bucked off. There was a guy behind me who came over to our pit area make sure I was alright. You know I see these guys in supercross who come up short on those big triples and it seems their suspension absorbs it, $$$$$$$$$$. So what can you do when you know your coming up short? Attack postion? Iknow if I'm coming up short on a long table to keep from getting bounced off the end I can squeeze the bike and it helps. The same thing with coming up short on a step up, hitting the top with the back tire and getting bucked.

The pro's suspension helps them keep from bottoming really harsh. Also make sure to stay on the gas and don't hit the brakes when you land. I can't think of anything else right now.

EDIT: Some people say to ride on the balls of your feet for more suspension and bike feel. I cased some weird shaped jump and for about 5 minutes I thought I had broke both my ankles. That changed an old habbit quick. I currently ride(I think) and jump(I know) with the pegs right in front of my heels. I've come up short several times and no problem so far, I think I'm in even more control when I case it or come up short. I've only had 1 or 2 mishaps with my feet so far forward, but you get pretty used to it.

EDIT #2: Since we are on the topic of casing doubles, let me share a pretty funny story. At this track I was going to they had a double then a step-up double type thing. I had only been riding several weeks so I wasn't too good. I had finally gotten the balls to jump this little double. I cleared it perfectly, I was so excited I slammed on brakes forgetting about the other one. Well, when I hit the second jump my bike bucked up and kicked me off but I still held on. I came up short on the landing side, still on my stomach, it bucked me up once more and I did a small superman before finally landing with my butt on the seat this time. I was so pumped that I just cleared this double, landed on my stomach, and then landed a superman(I was parallel with my bike) that I once again, forgot to pay attention and ended up falling in the upcoming corner. It was a sweet ride though:busted:

YOu clearly wernt going fast enough. We have a double like that at a local tack and I was clearing all day just fine then my last lap of the day came up short, thought I broke my right angle, and I have revalved forks with the right springs, so I dont think suspension is gonna help. I have a bad habit of riding on the balls of my feet and not moving then to the arch when I know I am gonna land hard.

Is this one bigger. Went back out there today and cleared it with no proplem, actually all 3 of them. It just s$#% when you've jumped a jump all day and 1 time come up short, so what are the odds? You'll probably space out 1 time forget what your doing and before you know your hitting so hard on the face of the next jump and you do all you can to hang on. I hate doubles but they are sooooo much fun!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2804234502_8e91ea06c8.jpg

This is the double I broke my pelvis and back on, not even that big. Again my son and I had been jumping this double double all day and 1 time 1 came up short and thats all I remember, pictures of my 10 year old.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2316/2073448333_16df31186f_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2073448325_a804905bfd_o.jpg

Is this one bigger. Went back out there today and cleared it with no proplem, actually all 3 of them. It just s$#% when you've jumped a jump all day and 1 time come up short, so what are the odds? You'll probably space out 1 time forget what your doing and before you know your hitting so hard on the face of the next jump and you do all you can to hang on. I hate doubles but they are sooooo much fun!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2804234502_8e91ea06c8.jpg

Sounds like part of the sport! Ride more, learn more, have more fun.

Some people say to ride on the balls of your feet for more suspension and bike feel. I cased some weird shaped jump and for about 5 minutes I thought I had broke both my ankles. That changed an old habbit quick. I currently ride(I think) and jump(I know) with the pegs right in front of my heels. I've come up short several times and no problem so far, I think I'm in even more control when I case it or come up short. I've only had 1 or 2 mishaps with my feet so far forward, but you get pretty used to it./QUOTE]

LMAO i know exactly how u feel man, the first time it happened i was so sure i broke both of my ankles, but u just gotta walk it off lol. But what i do now ( i still ride on the balls of my feet) when i land i kinda stiffen my ankles and push up if im gonna face a hard landing.

I know how it is jumping a jump all day they crashing. I practiced at a track 2 days and had jumped this triple fine every time. Then, saturday night I was at my first race, I cleared it fine from the second lap of practice to the lap before last of the first moto. It was the last lap and I was in fourth and I cased it hard. I was so pissed.

I can't help you on the suspension, but I can tell you that when you are coming up short to stay in the attack position. Most people get as far back as they can. Also, make sure to jump, land and that your position is as straight as possible because your bike will bounce.

Uhmm... I have to disagree. When you're in the attack position you're FAR more prone to taking a trip over the handlebars.

If you're about to case something, you get in a very defensive position, grab the next gear, and get on the gas. Note that this is what you do in most instances. Obviously different instances require different things, but this is typically a general rule of thumb.

Uhmm... I have to disagree. When you're in the attack position you're FAR more prone to taking a trip over the handlebars.

If you're about to case something, you get in a very defensive position, grab the next gear, and get on the gas. Note that this is what you do in most instances. Obviously different instances require different things, but this is typically a general rule of thumb.

Oh, I believe that's what it said in one of the books I read. Either Gary Semics or Dirt Rider. I don't know from actual experience as I haven't cased anything over 20ft(Because I haven't jumped a double that big yet)?