Sign in to follow this  

Super Moto Tires

Hey gang,

I am doing a super moto conversion on my 400S with the Warp 9 wheels. What tires would you recommend? I am looking for something sticky for max lean angles.

Thanks,

Bill

I would fit Pirelli Supercorsa Pros but simmilar race type tyres will be great. I used a 120/70 front and a 160/60 rear but some people use the 150/60 which might be better if you have clearence probs with the s model swingarm.

:thumbsup:

I think most people would advise you to get Continental Conti Force as they are the "stickiest" ones (not counting the slicks)

120/70/17 & 150/60/17 is the set that you're looking for

motostrano_2013_30332137

I think most people would advise you to get Continental Conti Force as they are the "stickiest" ones

Ummm... what about the Pilot Power?

Ummm... what about the Pilot Power?

Michelin Pilot Powers are good too. I actually use neither of these two brands (I got Avon Distanzias)

I'm no guru - it's like I said before - "I think" that most people would advise you to get Conti Force (however I might be wrong) :thumbsup:

I think most people would advise you to get Continental Conti Force as they are the "stickiest" ones (not counting the slicks...

Nope... lots of SM road legal tyres are stickier than the contis :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, the contis are good (I've run them in the past), but there are plenty 'stickier' including the already mentioned supercorsas, maxis goldspeeds cut slicks, etc...

I have the Conti Force tires on my converted S and really like them. They are super sticky on the blacktop and handle hard packed dirt road well too. However I am an SM noob and don't have any experience with any other SM tire.

Nope... lots of SM road legal tyres are stickier than the contis :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, the contis are good (I've run them in the past), but there are plenty 'stickier' including the already mentioned supercorsas, maxis goldspeeds cut slicks, etc...

:busted:

Okay, thanks for the clarification. :worthy: You conviced me. I don't know jack sh*t and now I'm gonna shut up :blah:

GoldSpeeds are not legal for road use in the US. Pilot Powers and Super Corsa's are built for larger heavier bikes and as such are not as soft a compond as a tire made for SuMo could be. The Conti's are a popular choice.

I would use them over the Super Corsa's or PP's.

A converted S model is going to be pretty close to the weight needed to heat up a tire like the PP or supercorsa.

There pretty close to 300lbs dry, add fuel/oil etc, and they're probably 25lbs shy of what a good 600cc race bike will be dry.

Are you going to be using this bike for Commuting or Track & Leisure? The SM ires DO NOT get great mileage, Hence look for another tire if your a Commuter. I bought a Pair of Bridgestone Battlax 021's for my SM..Harder Compound in the Center for Mileage & Softer Compound on the Edges for Turns. I still have to mount them & try them out, BUT 2200 Miles on an SM Tire is BS......

Just using them for fun, I have a couple of other bikes for communting. Mileage on this one is not important to me.

I'll be going for Dunlop GP10 Alpha in 120/70 and 150/60. Not much tread pattern, but, I've ridden them in damp/wet conditions on a demo bike with no scares.

Either that or I'd recommend Bridgestone BT090s, you can get them in 140 or 150 for the rear if you get clearance issues on your S. I've run those on a ZXR400 track bike and they're very grippy too.

I've been pleased with the ContiForce SMs - I've done road course track days on them, and while they don't have the same grip as Pilot Powers, they last about 2~3x as long on the street. They slide predictable, which I find to be more valuable than that last degree of grip.

And... (g'head and call me a grumpy middle-age guy if it makes you feel better) if you're using up your chicken strips on the street, you need to get yourself to the track and slow down on the street.

I went with the Piolet Power and thought they were great. I have nodesed my milge, grip, and response go way up. Also they seem to wear mutch slower than the stock Dunlops. I think with these tires I will grind me pegs off before I need toreplace my tires.:thumbsup:

I'll be going for Dunlop GP10 Alpha in 120/70 and 150/60. Not much tread pattern, but, I've ridden them in damp/wet conditions on a demo bike with no scares.

Either that or I'd recommend Bridgestone BT090s, you can get them in 140 or 150 for the rear if you get clearance issues on your S. I've run those on a ZXR400 track bike and they're very grippy too.

Rides a DRZ SM and a ZXR400, both shod with 120 70/17 and150 60/17 Alpha 10.

Rides a DRZ SM and a ZXR400, both shod with 120 70/17 and150 60/17 Alpha 10.

Cool, how do you like them on your SM? I notice KTM are using them for oe tyres.

I sold my ZXR400 ages ago, and replaced it with the GSXR600 in my avatar.