GG300 Runaway Throttle

We were out riding this weekend in some really gnarly stuff. I was working my way up a super-rocky, dry stream bed on my '05 GGTXT300. The whole area was totally covered with vines and sticker bushes. I'd come to a difficult spot when my bike suddenly revved to the moon. The throttle was cracked only slightly and the clutch was in so I closed the throttle but it didn't stop the problem. I instantly hit the kill switch and it spooled down.

Bike started right up a moment later - first kick I think - and it seemed fine. So I circled back to that same spot and what do you know, it did it again! Same spot. And I know the throttle was closed that time. At least I'm pretty darn sure it was. Darn sure. I hit the kill switch again and made certain there was nothing like a stick or vine holding the throttle open. A minute later it started right back up and did fine. Didn't have any trouble for the rest of the day but you can be sure I kept the clutch covered!

Anyone ever seen this? Or could that little spot in the 'trail' be possessed by some kind of trials-hating gremlin?

John

Maybe something's pulled the throttle cable out of it's normal routing and when you turn the bars a certain way the cable sheath now pulls out of the seat at one end or the other (the carb or the grip body).

Be interested for sure in hearing what the problem turns out to be.

The pinned throttle situations with cable sheath not fully seated in the carb has happened a couple times to me, but usually after a crash, or after reassembly following maintenance. I've learned to double check that now ?

The other stuck throttle event was a frayed throttle cable on my dad's Motoguzzi. I was fourteen and spanking the bike pretty hard through a new street in our neighborhood and when I let up, much to my surprise the bike continued at full throttle.

Fortunately I had the presense of mind to find and turn off the key as there was no kill button in those days. Very scary.

......... Or could that little spot in the 'trail' be possessed by some kind of trials-hating gremlin?

John

Happening like that at the same spot??? Sounds like a "Full-Throttle-Triangle" to me. Better stay away from that spot. ?

If it has nothing to do with that spot on the hill, I'd look for a bad rubber boot where the throttle cable enters the slide and then look for dirt in the top of the slide. A single grain of dirt or sand sitting up there could get lodged between the slide and carb body and cause that.

I'm assuming that your steering was not in a turn but straight ahead at the time. But double check your cable routing just the same.

Happening like that at the same spot??? Sounds like a "Full-Throttle-Triangle" to me. Better stay away from that spot. :worthy:

I didn't press my luck.

I'm assuming that your steering was not in a turn but straight ahead at the time. But double check your cable routing just the same.

The handlebars were turned a little to prevent me from falling into the rather deep hole they were turned to avoid. I hope to try hopping across that spot soon! ?

-John

clean between the bars and the tube and check the cable routing,and the boot no biggy.turn the throttle and listen for the slide to seat do it turning left and right.piece of cake.i do that drill every time i ride out of habit.

I checked the throttle cable tonight. It was pulled tight where it went into the carb boot. I pulled on it and was able to slide it out a little. The slide spring pulled it back in but it seemed to get hung up about a 1/4 to an 1/8 of an inch. If I jiggled it then it would snap back in. Seemed a little dry and dusty. My guess is that I had turned the bars very sharp and it pulled on the cable which didn't reseat cleanly, leaving it a little open.

Is it supposed to pull out a little like that? I never saw cable, just sheathing. Would cleaning and lubing that spot prevent it from getting hung up? Or is the problem where the cable routes through the frame?

John

yes clean and lube it.you should have a little freeplay in your cable,check the routing free it up,and as far as why it happened a crash,taller bars,installing the tank in a hurry,snagged on a branch,just make sure it snaps back when the bars are turned in either direction,when you turn the throttle there should be a little foreplay before the slide starts to open how much is personal preference .i dont like any at all due to a 90%wrist fusion, but that could bite me in the ass someday.did i mention freeplay?and as you know a runaway bike sucks!!!!!

I use safety wire and make a double loop around the throttle cable where the twist grip boot meets the cable and then I twist the safety wire and loop it around the round nut on the throttle twist grip mount. That way a branch can not snag the cable and create a wide open throttle situation. I hope you can understand what I'm talking about. A W.O.T. is NOT fun! ?

2-ply, what's that behind ur headlight? seems like weight u don't need.

I've got a lot more weight a little further behind the head light than that thing that needs trimming before I worry about a little thng like that ?

Besides, it adds ballast and is one of my secret weapons in performing flawless Double Blips.....

And if you believe that, I have some spare parts I'd like to sell you on special today only... :worthy:

:busted:

but still... what the heck is it?

Silly Wabbit,

That's the new solid state speedometer / tach / trip log computer that actually works!! (Only when the motor is running)

All of the other Gas Gas Speedos that came with the bikes lasted from a few hours to a few days. This one is over a year old. ?

gg-speedo.jpg

I'm virtually certain now that the W.O.T. was from a snag with a low lying branch. I'll take steps to remedy. Because as has been repeatedly stated here, a wide open throttle leads to wide open eyes! Indeed, nothing gets my heart thundering like a spooling engine. But I was proud of myself for quickly performing all the right steps and avoiding damage or disaster. Clutch, in. Hit the kill switch. And it is really helping me learn to keep the clutch covered!

2PLY, that bike of yours is a beast! What is that? A Raga-Replica or something. Sweet.

Does anyone sell one of them there new-fangled speedo's with an integrated GPS???

-John

but still... what the heck is it?

Its a chronograph, altimeter, fathometer, GPS, speedometer, trip meter, cam corder, dvd player, Itune player, magnetometer, spectrum analyzer(the last two were special geology additions), tire pressure monitor, lap counter, wind speed indicator, foreign exchange calculator, two way radio, heart rate monitor, barometer and a neutral indicator. A handy little gadget 2-Ply had made up in Thailand.

Its a chronograph, altimeter, fathometer, GPS, speedometer, trip meter, cam corder, dvd player, Itune player, magnetometer, spectrum analyzer(the last two were special geology additions), tire pressure monitor, lap counter, wind speed indicator, foreign exchange calculator, two way radio, heart rate monitor, barometer and a neutral indicator. A handy little gadget 2-Ply had made up in Thailand.

damn... but 2-ply, looks like ur bars are just a tick to the left from center.

damn... but 2-ply, looks like ur bars are just a tick to the left from center.

No, my camera lense is off to one side. I've called Canon about it and they say it's under warrantee.............................. NOT

Now look what we've done Fester and Laser17!!! We've turned the rest of them into smart asses...?

What, no mass spectrometer? Boy 2PLY, did you ever get taken!

-John

2PLY, that bike of yours is a beast! What is that? A Raga-Replica or something. Sweet.

Yes, the bike is an '07 Raga Replica, but I think the regular '06 and '07 Pros came with this unit. But my '05 200 and older Gas Gas bikes had the modified electronic bicycle speedo that never worked and was too difficult to see when riding anyway.

One curious thing, my buddy's new '08 Raga had NO speedo on it and instead of the integrated kill-switch light control unit at the left grip, it came with a simple kill button an a simple head light switch but the head light is an L.E.D. array that's not very bright.... and no high / low beam option. AND, the new Raga has no brake light switches for the tail light, but my 07 Raga has ALL of that and a very good headlight... What gives? Yet my bike is only 1 pound heavier than the 08 Raga ?