2008 IL Failfest (Red Bud Vetfest)

Red Bud Vetfest...was a complete Illinois failfestival. The level of failure achieved by myself and the rest of my Illinois compatriots was high. Let me set the tone:

Friday practice.......didn't happen. It seems Michigan got a little rain thursday night so Gene Ritchie wanted to preserve the track for Saturday. Many of my Illinois Homies took off work on Friday to get a day of riding in. Imagine the unhappiness when they showed up to find the ammenities open...but the track closed. I could not go until Saturday morning due to an inconsiderate wife that...get this...had plans of her own Friday night (leaving me with the boys). So...with the hour change going into Michigan...I had to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to make the trip. Showed up around 8:30 and the track looked mint. Decent turnout with around 700 riders so the pits were pretty full. They had 2 practice sessions so I was able to get on the track 4 times before the racing even started. The track was muddy at first but came around nicely by the second sessions.

The racing was intense as the gates were full (not something Illinois riders are used to) and the level of competition was high. John Grewe was hucking the Larocco Leap and was the most dominant rider of the day. Todd Dehoop was riding well until he crashed hard in +40A pushing Grewe for the lead. Track got insanely rough and "dangerously rutted" (see old Thumpertalk posts as this phrase is paying homage to an old post that riled everyone up). I personally had a crappy day and failed miserably in everything that I did on Saturday. I got decent starts but then got passed by 8-10 riders when I didn't do the "ski jump" during the first lap of any of my races due to racer congestion.

Overall...a displeasing event and a poor performance from Illinois riders as we got our asses handed to us all day. I can't think of a single rider that did well.

My manfriend asked if I even had fun...the answer...NO. Failing sucks

Wow.....that is truly a FAIL inducing story.:thumbsup:

Red Bud Vetfest...was a complete Illinois failfestival. The level of failure achieved by myself and the rest of my Illinois compatriots was high. Let me set the tone:

Friday practice.......didn't happen. It seems Michigan got a little rain thursday night so Gene Ritchie wanted to preserve the track for Saturday. Many of my Illinois Homies took off work on Friday to get a day of riding in. Imagine the unhappiness when they showed up to find the ammenities open...but the track closed. I could not go until Saturday morning due to an inconsiderate wife that...get this...had plans of her own Friday night (leaving me with the boys). So...with the hour change going into Michigan...I had to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to make the trip. Showed up around 8:30 and the track looked mint. Decent turnout with around 700 riders so the pits were pretty full. They had 2 practice sessions so I was able to get on the track 4 times before the racing even started. The track was muddy at first but came around nicely by the second sessions.

The racing was intense as the gates were full (not something Illinois riders are used to) and the level of competition was high. John Grewe was hucking the Larocco Leap and was the most dominant rider of the day. Todd Dehoop was riding well until he crashed hard in +40A pushing Grewe for the lead. Track got insanely rough and "dangerously rutted" (see old Thumpertalk posts as this phrase is paying homage to an old post that riled everyone up). I personally had a crappy day and failed miserably in everything that I did on Saturday. I got decent starts but then got passed by 8-10 riders when I didn't do the "ski jump" during the first lap of any of my races due to racer congestion.

Overall...a displeasing event and a poor performance from Illinois riders as we got our asses handed to us all day. I can't think of a single rider that did well.

My manfriend asked if I even had fun...the answer...NO. Failing sucks

Don't be so hard on yourself 520..............I went there in 01' on a dealer only open ride for Parts Unlimited. Well I fell on the old off chamber Monza Wall riding my CR 500R, the flagger just stood there watching me as I crawled off the track with my right foot facing backwards and my Honda being used for a berm. That is the toughest track in America.......bar none, well may Glen Helon, non the less it's gnarley, my hats off to you for just racing there. :thumbsup:

Double WOW, and...*** is a 'ManFriend'?

Don't be so hard on yourself 520..............I went there in 01' on a dealer only open ride for Parts Unlimited. Well I fell on the old off chamber Monza Wall riding my CR 500R, the flagger just stood there watching me as I crawled off the track with my right foot facing backwards and my Honda being used for a berm. That is the toughest track in America.......bar none, well may Glen Helon, non the less it's gnarley, my hats off to you for just racing there. :thumbsup:

That could have been me using your bike as a berm...I was there for that dealer day :worthy:

That could have been me using your bike as a berm...I was there for that dealer day :thumbsup:

Redbud is tough, locals are fast. You'll have better days.

if you rode there more you'd to better (speculation, I have no idea how much you ride there.)

I take it that was directed at Moto-520...cuz I wasn't there!

I take it that was directed at Moto-520...cuz I wasn't there!

:thumbsup:

Uhm, yeah, that's what i meant.

That could have been me using your bike as a berm...I was there for that dealer day :worthy:

Aren't those dealer rides a hoot Matt !!!! Ive also have been on the UP 300 ride in Michigan and alot of Parts unlimited VIP tents at mx and snowcross races round the country, were currantly persueing a P.U. franchize in our new store location. What dealership did you work for in 01'...........Im guessing TUF in Dekalb?, I bet you miss being there, they are a very respectable shop in the midwest and deeply involved in the mx biz. :thumbsup:

2000-2001 I was at RCR Kawasaki in Oglesby, IL and then 2002-2004 I was at Tuf. I've still got buddies that work at RCR and they are always talking about the U.P. ride. Actually, I was just at one of their weddings and he invited their PU rep and the guy remembered me. Super nice rep named Bill...he still gets me in to the VIP tents at Red Bud :thumbsup:

Those UP300 rides are the tops, they treat us like kings, 3 full nights with meals and transportation to the riding area and back all paid for. 300+ miles of some of the toughest single track I've ever rode, takes place the last week of september, just when the leaves are at full color, breath taking views around lakes. Not to mention getting to rub elbows with some of the top names in the off-road world, oh yeah, did I mention the swag...........I come home with the cab of my truck stuffed with free or discounted dirtbike stuff. Can't wait for this years ride !!!!!!! :thumbsup: