Sign in to follow this  

stack stage configurations

Gentlemen.

Thoughts, plusses and minusses to different stack configurations, single, doble and triple stage stacks.

what are your arguments for using a particluar set-up?

will make an interesting post :thumbsup:

good to see you back . not seen any posts from you for a while!

i use single stage now in the forks, but 2 stage - even 3 sometimes in the shock, depending on application.

All for mx,

you use a single stage stack in shocks??

what reasoning do you have for this?

mark.

Depends on what the rider asks for...a young/light MX racer is generally geting beat up pretty bad by the stock single stage fork valving...if the rider is a Pro practice rider and rides 5 laps at a time with a 20 minute break between, for a total of 15 laps, then they will likely need a plusher set-up.

If they are actually a racer then it's a compromise...do they want to be faster or comfortable? If they want to be faster, then it's all about training and riding...95% of the guys bitching about the bike being harsh aren't going fast enough AT THE RIGHT TIME. They try to make up time on corner entry when they should be concerned with mid-coner/exit...just like racing a dirt car...if you can "roll-it-in-easy", you can get back on the gas sooner.

The throttle is your friend...

I actually feel corner entrance speed is what separates the men from the boys.

When riders are faster than me, I can hang everywhere except initial turn in, where they manage the bike a little better.

When your on the throttle to hard, it stands the bike up, and ruins a good corner. Then again, I agree many novice and beginner riders focus on the go as fast as you can in the straight, brake as hard as possible, then turn with less lean angle, and repeat. Kind of like point and shoot...

stupid off topic...

anyways, I feel consistent performance from the suspensions is really important...knowing exactly what it will do is big plus.

so what gives a more consitent feel.....the single stage shock.

do you not find this to harsh in a shock though?

i use single stage now in the forks, but 2 stage - even 3 sometimes in the shock, depending on application.

All for mx,

What's an example of a three stage stack that you use?

isn't Pro Action using a three stage valving (along with their own pistons) ?

isn't Pro Action using a three stage valving (along with their own pistons) ?

yeah i believe so - plus a lot of the later race-tech stuff. i tend to use it for the slower or older setups, or someone who likes a plush setup. works well in rm showa setups too.

mark.

i have a 3 stage stack in my rmz that me and mark came up with, i am truely shocked how well it works under mx conditions, it may not work for very jumpy hard charging riders but 80% of riders are not like that,so its a good setup even though theory would say its not as well controlled as a 2 stage.

I think this maybe down to the fact the 1st stage and 2nd are only separated by a 0.1mm cross over, this means its actually better supported than a 2 stage with a 0.1mm cross over gap.

just remembered comming across 3 stage valving pretty often in Marzocchi Shiver's on a GasGas:

21 x .10

11 x .10

19 x .10

17 x .10

11 x .10

16 x .15

15 x .15

13 x .20

12 x .20

What's an example of a three stage stack that you use?

well this is a stack i did for a yzf450 a 168lb rider who's and expert that likes it plush, so he's fast but likes it smooth. it worked really well for him, bearing in mind that other mods were made to the shock. but you get the drift.

9 0.20*40

1 0.15*26

2 0.25*40

1 0.15*38

1 0.10*23

1 0.20*38

1 0.25*34

1 0.25*30

1 0.25*28

1 0.25*26

1 0.25*24

1 0.25*18

in certain situations it works well, like with a rm i did lately and the stack me an mog came up with. its all about a trade off between control and plushness to some degree, i have now found a good 2 stage setup with a dual crossover.

with this topic is was interested in what others use, why....and how they work for them.

mark.

Did you also slow the rebound down some and play with the stack on the "exchange" piston to stiffen it?

Just curious....seems like that stack is much softer than stock....but I could be wrong here.

the stacks not actually softer than stock, when you add the low speed to the mid which are 0.25's then the low it has some real damping in there, note the cross over from mid to high speed is quite small also.

here's the rebound stack, slightly quicker than stock. but the exchange valve was altered, and the piston flowed also.

2 0.20*36

1 0.10*23

1 0.25*36

1 0.25*32

1 0.25*28

1 0.25*26

1 0.30*24

1 0.30*21

works well. but like i say for this rider i swithched to a two stage stack for a little more control over whooped out low speed stuff. not quite as complient on the stutter bumps but has offered the compromise he wanted.

mark.

the stacks not actually softer than stock, when you add the low speed to the mid which are 0.25's then the low it has some real damping in there, note the cross over from mid to high speed is quite small also.

here's the rebound stack, slightly quicker than stock. but the exchange valve was altered, and the piston flowed also.

2 0.20*36

1 0.10*23

1 0.25*36

1 0.25*32

1 0.25*28

1 0.25*26

1 0.30*24

1 0.30*21

works well. but like i say for this rider i swithched to a two stage stack for a little more control over whooped out low speed stuff. not quite as complient on the stutter bumps but has offered the compromise he wanted.

mark.

interesting stuff.

2 0.20*36

1 0.10*23

1 0.25*36

1 0.25*32

1 0.25*28

1 0.25*26

1 0.30*24

1 0.30*21

mark.

That LS is crazy light for a 450. So is the rest of the stack really. What shock oil are you using?

That LS is crazy light for a 450. So is the rest of the stack really. What shock oil are you using?

daves 215.VM2.K5 spi-3

we have it at 12 out on rebound 10 on comp 2 turns on h/speed and it was real good, exceptional over the small stutter bumps, breaking bumps etc.

mark.

dont forget steve, on a 08 they will pack with the same stack as a 07-no one knows why.

Just wondering, does anybody use a single stage stack in the shock? I see a lot of people on here like a single stage stack in the forks for mx but the shocks are allways a 2 or 3 stage stack.

in pc works kits they have single stage, they work well but i have found you need to go soft on the springs(we had a 0.38s for a 175lb rider!!!) and even then they always have a firm feel(could also be the 49mm tubes!) they had excellant bottoming resistance even with 0.38s.