B-day ride with pix

All I can say is wow!! It turned out to be a pretty entertaining day. One new ktm 250 xc-w, one fouled plug, one broken clutch cable, a speared incident, and one bike towed. Oddly enough ... none of this happened to the same person, lol.

7 of us total set out for a bitchin b-day ride. Mark had a pretty good loop mapped out consisting of mucho singletrack. Steve had purchased a new ktm for his b-day present to himself ... so many of us were checkin out his new ride. After everyone was done sniffing butts, lol ... we started the ride.

At the start Tom fouled a plug, so it took a bit for the group to get all caught up. Awhile after that Rob did something to break his clutch cable or something and had to head back to camp.

Not long after that I was having way too much fun railin the uphill swithcbacks (and chasin Mark of course) on Sawmill when I heard a loud whack and crashed to the right. I couldn't figure out what the hell happened. I picked the bike up and tried to kick it over but it sounded funny. I then glanced to my left and noticed there was a big long burnt stick thing poking out into the trail. I then happend to look down at my bike and this is what I saw ... :worthy:

S5002009.jpg

S5002007.jpg

impailedktm.jpg

thetipofthespear.jpg

Mark and the gang gave me a big hand to get my poor ktm fixed. It was a team effort, lol. I was able to finish the ride with no other probs.

removingthetreespear.jpg

Mark did however have to be towed back into camp since he ran outta gas, lol. We did have a few people who cut out of the ride early do to prior time commitments and some just being too tired to finish. It's all good, lol. ?

After everyone was done sniffing butts, lol ... we started the ride.

HAHA, that's EXACTLY how it goes, eh?!!!

Mark did however have to be towed back into camp since he ran outta gas, lol. We did have a few people who cut out of the ride early do to prior time commitments and some just being too tired to finish. It's all good, lol. ?

You guys are too nice, I would have had to push it

Now I will tease you about the stick--->wouldna happened with a wr, hahhahaha! What's with the toilet paper???? did yer bike soil itself? hahahaha

Really, glad you had and awesome day!!!!!!!!!:worthy:

Now I will tease you about the stick--->wouldna happened with a wr, hahhahaha!

With a wr, we never would have gotten to that point on the ride. The only rider with a heavy-ass slow 4-stroke got plumb tuckered out, then broke his bike and had to quit halfway through.

?:worthy:

haha, well, you just wait mr smarty pants! someday I'll show you!!!!

I almost feel like riding my 4-stroke again. I rode saturday with an acquaintance who is an old isde vet (top american once in the 80's), and he makes riding a 4-stroke look so easy and smooth. Maybe you 4-stroke folks are just better riders, lol.

Now I will tease you about the stick--->wouldna happened with a wr, hahhahaha! What's with the toilet paper???? did yer bike soil itself? hahahaha

Really, glad you had and awesome day!!!!!!!!!?

We were trying to make sure that we didn't get anything in the carb ... since I knocked the carb clean off when the piece of wood slammed through. :worthy:

The upper part of the stick just barely missed my airfilter. Put a hole just to the very top ... didn't even need to duct tape the hole ... just put it all back together and go ride some more. :busted:

All I can say is wow!! It turned out to be a pretty entertaining day. One new ktm 250 xc-w, one fouled plug, one broken clutch cable, a speared incident, and one bike towed. Oddly enough ... none of this happened to the same person, lol.

7 of us total set out for a bitchin b-day ride. Mark had a pretty good loop mapped out consisting of mucho singletrack. Steve had purchased a new ktm for his b-day present to himself ... so many of us were checkin out his new ride. After everyone was done sniffing butts, lol ... we started the ride.

At the start Tom fouled a plug, so it took a bit for the group to get all caught up. Awhile after that Rob did something to break his clutch cable or something and had to head back to camp.

Not long after that I was having way too much fun railin the uphill swithcbacks (and chasin Mark of course) on Sawmill when I heard a loud whack and crashed to the right. I couldn't figure out what the hell happened. I picked the bike up and tried to kick it over but it sounded funny. I then glanced to my left and noticed there was a big long burnt stick thing poking out into the trail. I then happend to look down at my bike and this is what I saw ... :worthy:

S5002009.jpg

S5002007.jpg

impailedktm.jpg

thetipofthespear.jpg

Mark and the gang gave me a big hand to get my poor ktm fixed. It was a team effort, lol. I was able to finish the ride with no other probs.

removingthetreespear.jpg

Wow. that was some luck that you did not get hurt. great pictures. do you feel that that was placed there to sabatoge dirt riders.

Wow. that was some luck that you did not get hurt. great pictures. do you feel that that was placed there to sabatoge dirt riders.

No not at all ... we rode through some burn areas that have all kinds of things sticking out into the trail ... I just didn't give myself the room I needed to get around it. I saw it and thought ... oh, I'll clear that clean. Wrongo!!

Definitely not. 'trail lances' as we call them are quite common in idaho, especially in recently (last 5-10 years) burned areas. Trail sabotage wouldn't be very effective here because all (surviving) idaho mountain riders have learned to be very aware and not assume the trail looks the same as it did yesterday. We've gone out the day after clearing a trail and found 6-8 new trees blown over across it ? .

Oh man! Thank goodness it didnt go through your leg! A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her this year only it was on her snowmobile and it did a serious amount of damage which included ripping part of her aluminum tunnel away from her bulkhead! One stuck me on my bike once last year only the stick stuck between my rear hub and fork and I swear I flew like supper man for 10 feet or more from my bike! No damage but I was definitely a little shook up after that and have no fricken clue how I missed it!

Well, that sure is a great area for a birthday ride! Love the pics! That dredge sure is impressive (although distructive)! Hope to ride there too one of these days too.