Sign in to follow this  

A study: Using WD40 to clean an O-ring chain...

I use Motul chain cleaner. It works great, and it's

made for all chains....they look like new when your

done......then I use Motul chain wax.

Regards Sonny

Did you see Part II?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350310

Results of study:

All the chemical had an effect on the strength levels. Based on the reduction in strength after 15 day continuous exposure, it appears WD-40 reduced and had a detrimental effect on the the strength of the O-ring (20% reduction after 15x days). Whereas, the Kerosene reduced the strength level by 12%. More rigorous investigation is required, however
based on these results I’ll be using Kerosene to clean my X ring chain

I've been using WD40 for years and it cleans the chain very well and have no problems to date. I also use a quality chain lubricant after cleaning and it seems to work well. If it is detrimental I haven't noticed.

you guys clean your chain?

I got tired of worrying about o-rings and got a non o-ring chain.

I read you are not supposed to switch...why not? I figure at $40 I can afford a new chain ever 2 years or so.

Did you see Part II?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350310

Results of study:

All the chemical had an effect on the strength levels. Based on the reduction in strength after 15 day continuous exposure, it appears WD-40 reduced and had a detrimental effect on the the strength of the O-ring (20% reduction after 15x days). Whereas, the Kerosene reduced the strength level by 12%. More rigorous investigation is required, however
based on these results I’ll be using Kerosene to clean my X ring chain

Tensile strength means almost nothing on a chain o-ring.

Based on those results I'll use WD-40 for an after wash water dispersant spray (not soaking in it for months) and a ScottOiler for on-going lubrication.

you guys clean your chain?

I got tired of worrying about o-rings and got a non o-ring chain.

I read you are not supposed to switch...why not? I figure at $40 I can afford a new chain ever 2 years or so.

Yeah, I do. Depending on where you ride you can

pick up a lot of grit, rock dust, and other material. With

today's lubes that seem to have a tenacious gripping power

on the chain, I think it makes sense. I've cleaned chains

using the Motul chain spray after just 600 miles running

on 100% street, and you should see the stuff that comes off.

I didn't do it years ago when we all just used motor oil

or variance as a lube, because it slung off almost as quick

as you applied it. I use to oil my chain every 2 or 3 days.

I think the first "real" chain lube I ever saw and used was

something made by Bel-Ray.

I like the Motul cleaner, you don't have to do any scrubbing at all, you just spray it on, and the old lube

and debris, just dissapear, and the chain dries in no time.

Don't do it over a good part of concrete, because the old

lube and gunk will make a mess. I just put a piece of cardboard under the chain when I spray it.

Depending on how dirty and how much lube is on the chain, you can get a better assessment of how much life is left in the chain once it's clean.

Regards Sonny

Is it okay to clean a roller/non o-ring chain in a solvent tank? what about an o-ring chain? Will that work good on getting the chain very clean?

I Use wd40 to clean my chains.. And motul to lube em.. I am not worried about the -O- rings I have yet to have destroyed an o ring in any of my chains before the chain was retired due to stretch... In my opinion if you are ruining the -O- rings in your chain with wd40, you need to stop spending all your time washing your chain and more time making it strech so you can clean the new chain...Not to mention how are you gonna justify the new rear tire if you haven't rounded the knobs off of this one? Now quit worrie'n about what to clean it with and go get it dirty.......

my .02

L8r Kone

Well I have always used water and a brush to clean my o-ring chain.

then lube with Chain wax.

Now with my new chain I will any solvent i can get my hands on...carb, electro, gas, brake fluid, urine, freon, then lube with chain wax.