2008 Xr650l Clarke Tank Fit????

Has anyone tried a Clarke 4.0 or 4.7 Gallon tank on a 2008 model XR650L..

I have heard the IMS one does not fit the petcock area touches the cooling fins on the head??

Anyone?? Reply Please:confused:

Thanks

Has anyone tried a Clarke 4.0 or 4.7 Gallon tank on a 2008 model XR650L..

I have heard the IMS one does not fit the petcock area touches the cooling fins on the head??

Anyone?? Reply Please:confused:

Thanks

I read on here somewhere that if you use the XR600 petcock, it should clear. But then again, I was curious and experimental in my youth and my memory is a bit scattered. I remember lots of things, but not in any particular order.

I'm using the clarke 4.7 with no issues on my 06 L. 08 and 06 are the same as far as I know.

Could you post a pic?? Particularly of the petcock side close up?

Thanks again

Here a pic of my '06 XR650L with a Clarke 4.7

ClarkePetcockXRL.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pic (it's a blown up version of a pic I had laying around), but the petcock is about an inch away from the fins. To get it like this I used a couple of extra layers of foam on the frame. Since the foam compresses after a while, I add a layer or two of foam every six months to keep the spacing at around an inch. Plus I've fabbed a couple of tank brackets that go from the wire mounts on the tank to the wing mounts on the frame (down tube). The brackets keep the tank from flopping around. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, 2000 L with Clarke 4.7

DSCN2774.jpg

DSCN2773.jpg

I have a 4.0 Clarke tank on my '08 650L and the petcock is maybe 1/4 inch away from one of the cooling fins. I can easily shake the tank by hand enough to hear it clicking against it. I put a little grease on the bowl of the petcock and went for a ride and it didn't seem to be making contact under normal riding, but I'm concerned what may happen in a fall. I plan to raise the rear of the tank just a little and maybe file down that one fin a little. It's right at the rear corner of the head and about midway on the bottom of the petcock. Other than that I love the tank. I'll post a reply when I get a little more room between them to let you know how it goes.

Lethal do yourself a favor and add the two front brackets from the tank to the fame. Real simple and makes the tank rock solid Literally. Mine was the same sloppy way until I added the brackets.

Lethal do yourself a favor and add the two front brackets from the tank to the fame. Real simple and makes the tank rock solid Literally. Mine was the same sloppy way until I added the brackets.

Also added the brackets, no wobble:thumbsup:

Hey Woodville (or anyone), do you have any pictures of what the two front brackets look like and how you mounted the them? I also have an '08 650L and I'd like to get the 4.7 tank and make sure it's tight.

Thanks

Why not just go for the 5.8 Acerbis, it COMES with dual petcocks AND the straps to secure it. It doesn't matter how big you go if you can't get to the gas on the other side, it's uselss.

I have the Acerbis 5.8gallon - it bolts right on and I love the dual petcocks! No fitment issues other than having to move your turnsignal brackets up so that you are only using the top hole - but this works just fine...no big deal at all. The tank shape is a lot like the cooling fins - lots of air onto the engine. Price was right in line with the Clark and less than the IMS if memory serves me correctly. Never worry about range again....

eric , cud u post sum pics from different angles???

i've got the Clarke 4.0 that's badly yellowed...the Clark 4.7 is kinda bulbus and the Acerbis looks huge in sum pics i've seen...

TIA

kenny

eric , cud u post sum pics from different angles???

i've got the Clarke 4.0 that's badly yellowed...the Clark 4.7 is kinda bulbus and the Acerbis looks huge in sum pics i've seen...

TIA

kenny

I've seen it and it's really no bigger than the stock tank with it's wings. It's a bit higher than stock, but think of the wings on the stock being able to carry fuel. I've ridden it too and did not even notice it's size. The best thing about it is that it comes with the dual petcocks and the metal straps to secure it. No fabrication needed, no filing of fins or grinding of tabs, did I mention the dual petcocks?????:worthy::thumbsup:

That tank is on my list of things to get next year,....along with new bars.... and grips....and maybe a FMF Q2.......and maybe some wider pegs.......does it ever end?????

I've seen it and it's really no bigger than the stock tank with it's wings. It's a bit higher than stock, but think of the wings on the stock being able to carry fuel. I've ridden it too and did not even notice it's size. The best thing about it is that it comes with the dual petcocks and the metal straps to secure it. No fabrication needed, no filing of fins or grinding of tabs, did I mention the dual petcocks?????:worthy::thumbsup:

That tank is on my list of things to get next year,....along with new bars.... and grips....and maybe a FMF Q2.......and maybe some wider pegs.......does it ever end?????

Sometimes in divorce.

Hope this helps, 2000 L with Clarke 4.7

DSCN2774.jpg

DSCN2773.jpg

I think I may have found someone more anal about the cleanliness of their bike than me.:worthy::thumbsup: I want to see a pic of the entire bike

Kenzo, that link shows you the same look that mine has (I was getting ready to go snap a few pics in the garage). I think his bags exaggerate the width - it's not really that bad. It's a big tank for sure though - but isn't that the point? If you want some pics, just speak up or PM me so I notice to post them here. The tank comes with the mounts that go right down to the front stock frame mounts for the stock shrouds. The whole thing fits well and is an easy install. It comes with both petcocks and lots of fuel tubing, along with a Y connector that you install to link the two lines together before they feed into the carb. The tank is wider right in front of the seat, but it's not bad. The stock tank is narrow and the shrouds are way down low...this one is definately wider but again - I don't think it's bad though.

No problems here on the clark on a 04' L. Use the mounts if you have them. I strap a tank bag to them and the tank is SOLID even with the tank bag loaded. I've run into the problem with shorter people having problems with the bigger tanks. Where the cutouts are for air flow, my buddy says the tank is uncomfortable because his knees rub in that area. Personally my knees can clamp the 650R's big tank where the "holes" are, with no miscomfort while riding. Also the clark isn't too big for me. It seems like the happy medium, but does not feel as strong as the IMS, or Acerbis. It's finish is one of the best being smooth and shiny. Here is a pic of the Acerbis, and the Clarke.

xrsrear.jpg

Kenzo, that link shows you the same look that mine has (I was getting ready to go snap a few pics in the garage). I think his bags exaggerate the width - it's not really that bad. It's a big tank for sure though - but isn't that the point? If you want some pics, just speak up or PM me so I notice to post them here. The tank comes with the mounts that go right down to the front stock frame mounts for the stock shrouds. The whole thing fits well and is an easy install. It comes with both petcocks and lots of fuel tubing, along with a Y connector that you install to link the two lines together before they feed into the carb. The tank is wider right in front of the seat, but it's not bad. The stock tank is narrow and the shrouds are way down low...this one is definately wider but again - I don't think it's bad though.

go ahead and post sum pics...the link i provided also has the fender relocated down on the wheel also makes it look big...

i'm torn because i'll only need the big capacity once in a blue moon for dualsport rides and i like the lean look which is why i don't prefer the 4.7 over the 4.0 Clarke...i also relocated my battery and a major weight reduction program to slim the bike down...

maybe for me the best is the 4.0 and carry a spare "can" when needed :thumbsup:

TIA

kenny