Sign in to follow this  

Quieter silencer for the 430

Is there a quieter muffler for my 430? Right now it has the Answer SA (non sparky) silencer and it seems like it's the right amount of noise considering the displacement and unit, but I would like it quieter. I feel guilty even starting it for a minute or two in the neighborhood.....

The only "new" option I know of is the dynoports. Are their sparky or non sparky units quiet at all, when comparing it to the Answer I have now? Should I just have mine repacked and call it a day?

I do not have the stock silencer available. I am using the stock pipe right now though, but might need to go get a new pipe since mine is bent slightly upwards against my tank as FYI.

Just looking for a 5+db decrease if possible.

Is there a quieter muffler for my 430? Right now it has the Answer SA (non sparky) silencer and it seems like it's the right amount of noise considering the displacement and unit, but I would like it quieter. I feel guilty even starting it for a minute or two in the neighborhood.....

The only "new" option I know of is the dynoports. Are their sparky or non sparky units quiet at all, when comparing it to the Answer I have now? Should I just have mine repacked and call it a day?

I do not have the stock silencer available. I am using the stock pipe right now though, but might need to go get a new pipe since mine is bent slightly upwards against my tank as FYI.

Just looking for a 5+db decrease if possible.

Answer SA has Krizman Sparky in the inlet end, so it looks like it is straight through. They are loud, I had one on my '82, but I put stock one back on. Stock SA unit is much quieter. My '87 430WR one is still unavailible do to strange circumstances. Look for one on Ebay. DynoPorts are loud.

Norman

Norman, thanks for the real feedback.

So, you're saying I actually have a sparky unit in my Answer SA? I thought the SA meant spark arrestor, but thought it was an option or something. It does look like a straight through, but if it's a sparky, good deal then!! I was afraid I wouldn't be able to ride any trails or brush area until I had something else on the end.

Ok, no dynoport then. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for the stock sparky..so if one pops up, I will grab it.

The Answer one isn't terribly loud, just wanted something a little less noticeable in the neighborhood.

Phillip from Husky parts tonight said that the Dynoport pipes are awesome quality and have a thick build to them, does this then make then quieter over stock? Not the silencer part, but the pipe that is....

What were the differences between the WR and XC? Just the front light and some cosmetic stuff or something?

Phillip is also going to send me an 87 CR Radiator shroud to see if it fits, as he wasn't sure, since there is a slight difference to them since the CR tank is a little smaller. He had only one NOS 87 XC WR Radiator shroud.

My 82 420 Auto was quite loud as well,they run a single wall pipe,I kinda went nuts trying to quiten it,I wraped the whole pipe in heat wrap and fibreglassed it,a complete waste of time,lots of smell and buggar all noise reduction,what with fin ring,they are just loud and thats with an extre long muffler and fresh packing.

Seeing how it is a big bore, and it's still not as loud as the CR500's, etc....I shouldn't really be complaining or anything....

I won't feel bad once I get it out in the open of the CA desert, but around town just starting it every so often to keep things lubricated, I feel bad. Oh well. Not much I can do about it then.... I'll just repack it and just deal with it, and it if I source a stock sparky, I'll get it.

Thanks guys....

ryboj,

I might have what you need. Go to the classified (under: other bikes) and look at the parts I have for sale 1984-1987 Husqvanras.

Cheers,

Skoalman