Gnarly ride

I had one of the most gnarly rides so far. Mark and I did a loop that took us up Cinnabar and decided to head out to the Custer lookout. Cinnabar was tough because it had a buncha akward stuff and steep loose climbs with a switchback or two and lotsa steep sidehill. The Custer lookout was just crazy, lol. Very exposed and it was windy as hell up there.

Mark and I at Custer lookout.

SANY0135.jpg

Here's what we rode up to ... see the little white spec at the top?

S5002034.jpg

S5002036.jpg

Here's part of the trail.

S5002035.jpg

View from the lookout ... I was no way in hell gonna go to the end and take a pic ... it was crazy windy up there and it felt like you would be blown right off. Yup, I'm a chicken. ?

S5002037.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow! Beautiful view!

I woulda been way to scared to walk to the end too.?

The scariest part was watching tresa on the way back down. There's some pretty intimidating exposure on the first couple hundred yards of the trail. Extreme wind, a 6" wide rocky trail, cliff-like sidehill. All good fun.

Nice work! Looks like some good challenging rugged country! Where'd you start from? We reclaimed a large amount of timber from two old mines up there that we're now building homes with - I'll have to check the map and see if either of them are close to the look out.

Ohh, and I'm glad I dont have to sleep in one of those things for months on end! Use to hike into and deliver supplies to few backcountry lookouts a little farther north when I worked for the FS years ago. I do admire what they get to wake up to everymorning though!

Mark would know better than I would ... we started up Cinnabar which is a pretty darn tough trail then turned off to ride up to the lookout and back.

We started at Prairie City OHV area ?

(inside joke for the norcal crowd).

PM with more info sent.

No kidding flyingant! Not many of the railings on those things provide much comfort!

Thanks for the info Mark. That's the area! The riding does look/sound knarly! That section where the trail is not so defined up the rocky ridgeline looks tricky! I bet you were stoked about that ride Tresa! I'm sure you were proud too Mark!

I have been on a fairly steep sidehill trail or two up in the Trinities with a few hairpins that made my heart pound - seemed like there was no room for error and I did not want to find out what it would be like to vear off trail. Seemed like you could roll end over end for a while! That section of trail was smooth though, no rocks in otherwords there, but there was 10 inches of snow on it up high so it was squirly! Maybe that's what made it so heart pounding? It wasnt so bad once we started dropping past the snow line.