1991 Ktm 300exc- Good Bike To Own ?

Someone I know is getting rid of a 1991 KTM 300EXC, it was female ridden past 3 seasons, previously to her I have no clue, she just had the top end done, new brakes, chain and sprockets. Visually the bike has every sticker known to man on it so the plastic is probably in good shape underneath. She offered it to me for 400 dollars, now I don't even need a dirtbike, I already have an 06 yz250F, 02 kx250, and 03 xr100, but for the money I might as well get it for an extra beater.

Here is my question, I can't find any websites that offer parts for this thing if it breaks (and I will break it), how hard is to get parts ?

Have any of you guys had experience with this model, how is the power, steering, weight, is it notorious for anything.

ANY INFO ON THIS BIKE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, I can ride it to try it out but she doesn't live close so if I go to see it I'm just going to buy it, NO POINT SPENDING 70 on gas so see a 400 dollar bike, THANKS IN ADVANCE>

hi im new to this forum, read with intrest your post about the 1991 300 exc that you may be purchasing. im actually looking for a complete top end for one of these and a few other parts. i would be interested to hear from you if you decide to break it for parts. regards sm

IMHO, due to the lack of available parts, IDK if I would buy it to ride.

To part out, OTOH, may be a profitable plan.

hi mate,forgive my lack of abbreviated understanding, but i take it you are sayin you may buy to break. marco...

IMHO, due to the lack of available parts, IDK if I would buy it to ride.

To part out, OTOH, may be a profitable plan.

hi mate,forgive my lack of abbreviated understanding, but i take it you are sayin you may buy to break. marco...

Translations

IMHO=(In My Honest Opinion)

IDK=I don't know

OTOH=On The Other Hand

I'd look around and see what the parts demand is, if they're hard to come by, you could make out like a bandit ebaying it piece by piece.

I'm really not interested in parting out, might be some profit in it but I rather not deal with the hassle or dissasembly, posting, emailing, shipping, payments. I've looked around everywhere and called some catalogs and the only things you can buy easily are sprockets, chains, grips etc. I couldn't locate a top end or simple bearings so I decided not to pick up the bike for a beater. Thanks for your responses.

400 bucks isn't much, but think about what $400 invested in a bike you already own could do? I would rather have one nice bike then many junkie bikes

Listen for 400 bucks it's a steal. I had a 1991 ktm 300 and I got it from a guy that completely rebuilt the bike every year he was an older guy that had money so I thought it was weird in 2000 he was still riding and rebuilding a bike from 91. Like when I bought it from him I just seen it in his shop in a million pieces nicely layed out and labeled on the floor and then he told me to come pick it up 3 weeks later. I got it for $1100 but it was in immaculate condition. It was sleeved and had reeds done along with FM exhaust.Once I rode it I was like holy sh** this thing had power. Very wide powerband. And I was sooo surprised how much better the ktm felt then my freinds decked out 1997 kawasaki kx250. We had a bunch of straight line races and I always blew him out of the water. I then raced another kx250 that was bored out to the max. And we where about even but then he let off and I been riding bikes my whole life and didnt kno 2strokes couldnt be left wide open. I thought there was limiter. So I was trying to see how fast I could get it and the bike just shut off. Dude with the 250 drive up and said "wtf u doing?!" And right away knew I blew the motor. Well I got it rebuilt and bored out. Ran even more beast then before but I had a little head gasket leak on the outside of head and I had to add water every 8-9 hours of riding. I didnt feel like replacing head gasket cuz it wasn't bad leak at all so I just added water. Well went to Florida for college and totally forgot to drain the bike and when I came back on break I realized what I have done! Water froze up and pretty much cracked the whole inside of motor. And it was seized I couldnt get the piston to move. A replacement engine was like 1k so i just sold it for parts. Had renthal bars, excel rims and and a spare rear excel wheel, tire, sprocket, rotor. 3 extra sprockets, and another exhaust for it. But yea long ass story but just saying I loved that damb bike for 400 bucks I would buy one now! 

• Like 1

Yeah parts can be hard to find, but you probably have pistons and rings made by someone like weisco.

22 hours ago, Fabian Pioro said:

Listen for 400 bucks it's a steal. I had a 1991 ktm 300 and I got it from a guy that completely rebuilt the bike every year he was an older guy that had money so I thought it was weird in 2000 he was still riding and rebuilding a bike from 91. Like when I bought it from him I just seen it in his shop in a million pieces nicely layed out and labeled on the floor and then he told me to come pick it up 3 weeks later. I got it for $1100 but it was in immaculate condition. It was sleeved and had reeds done along with FM exhaust.Once I rode it I was like holy sh** this thing had power. Very wide powerband. And I was sooo surprised how much better the ktm felt then my freinds decked out 1997 kawasaki kx250. We had a bunch of straight line races and I always blew him out of the water. I then raced another kx250 that was bored out to the max. And we where about even but then he let off and I been riding bikes my whole life and didnt kno 2strokes couldnt be left wide open. I thought there was limiter. So I was trying to see how fast I could get it and the bike just shut off. Dude with the 250 drive up and said "wtf u doing?!" And right away knew I blew the motor. Well I got it rebuilt and bored out. Ran even more beast then before but I had a little head gasket leak on the outside of head and I had to add water every 8-9 hours of riding. I didnt feel like replacing head gasket cuz it wasn't bad leak at all so I just added water. Well went to Florida for college and totally forgot to drain the bike and when I came back on break I realized what I have done! Water froze up and pretty much cracked the whole inside of motor. And it was seized I couldnt get the piston to move. A replacement engine was like 1k so i just sold it for parts. Had renthal bars, excel rims and and a spare rear excel wheel, tire, sprocket, rotor. 3 extra sprockets, and another exhaust for it. But yea long ass story but just saying I loved that damb bike for 400 bucks I would buy one now! 

You realize that you replied to a TEN year old post?

Joe