Suspension break-in, how do I get the new feeling back?

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a new 07 YZ250. I was wondering what I can do to get the suspension to feel the way it did before it broke in. The bike has 12 hours on it now and it feels softer and seems like it rides lower in the stroke. One section I notice a big difference on is a fast up hill rolling whoop section. When the suspension was new the bike would track straight even if i messed up and smashed into a face. Now when I do that the back end deflects to the side. So mainly I wondering what broke in to make the suspension softer? and what can I do to get that new feeling back?

BTW - I am 5'6" 150lb, B rider. Thanks for the help in advance.

Its just a natural progression........oil cataminates, bushings wear, springs can sack slightly. You can service the suspension and replace bushings but its kinda hard to get that "new" feel back without buying a "new" bike.

You need to check sag and play with the clickers and I'm sure you can get it handling better than it is.

doc

maybe you've gotten faster....

a lot of times, you need to adjust accordingly to increased comfort level and speed.

Thanks for the help guys. Any suggestions where I should start to tune out the deflecting of the rear end in the whoops? I have set the sag and I keep a close eye on it.

Another quick question, when I talk to suspension tuners they suggest softer springs. I allready feel like I bottom out quite a bit. Should I run softer springs and stiffen the valving?

If your bottoming in the whoops, you can try a couple things.

First, while a lot of tuners say speed up the rebound, never have I watched on video, or seen in person packing on large roller whoops. The distance between the whoops seems to always be so great the suspension has plenty of time to return.

That is a leader to.....try stiffening your compression adjuster, I do two clicks at a time when getting my base set up, then one click to get it right.

Depending on your tracks, I would definitely look into a softer shock spring, and probably softer forks.

I classify myself as a 6ft B rider, 150lbs no gear, and am currently running .42 fork springs (i think .44 is stock in our bikes - I have one too) That said, my forks have a little too much dive for my liking on heavy braking, and I while I am going to try a bleed stack, I may end up with a stiffer fork spring.

I don't know my shock spring rate, but I think its the stock one off an 05, which is one rate softer than yours if memory serves me right.

Also, slowing down your rebound has a similar effect as making the compression stiffer, as it stiffens the compression as a by product. You can play with it too, in is slower/stiffer, out is softer/faster.

Good luck

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a new 07 YZ250. I was wondering what I can do to get the suspension to feel the way it did before it broke in. The bike has 12 hours on it now and it feels softer and seems like it rides lower in the stroke. One section I notice a big difference on is a fast up hill rolling whoop section. When the suspension was new the bike would track straight even if i messed up and smashed into a face. Now when I do that the back end deflects to the side. So mainly I wondering what broke in to make the suspension softer? and what can I do to get that new feeling back?

BTW - I am 5'6" 150lb, B rider. Thanks for the help in advance.

There are a few things that change that you won't be able to get back.

Some changes to the clicker settings will help, but there will be some compromises with this.

Just changing the fluid will really help. The stock stuff is junk and breaks down super quick.

We have a database of mods for this bike which I'll attach, but try some new settings and note the best you can, what you like and don't like about the current set-up. This will help to determine what you should do next.

The good news is that you'll have plenty of options to choose from.

:thumbsup:

KYB and SHOWA modification database.pdf

i fele that new feel comes from the shims, i think that maybe after 20 hours the shims are less resistant to flexing, i would love to test this by installing all new shims at 20 hours but it would cost a silly amount.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I'm going to try playing with the clickers tonight, I'll let you know how that works out.

Mog, do you think the shims may be seeing the effects of strain hardening? That's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of.

i dont know about strain hardening? would that not make them stiffer? its just if you look at used suspension, what parts can change(the oil is the main thing i would say) the bushes? maight make a small difference? not much else will alter, i never see any real signs of wear, the showa piston rings are a good fit in the bore of the body, so that only leaves the shims, i have replaced oil and bushes before on 20 hour suspension and it doesnt make it feel new again, it just feels better than on worn oil and bushes.

i fele that new feel comes from the shims, i think that maybe after 20 hours the shims are less resistant to flexing, i would love to test this by installing all new shims at 20 hours but it would cost a silly amount.

I've always thought about that too mog.......I have always turned the shim stacks over and used a new face shim against both sides of the piston on every shock & fork that I've built........just because I figured (like you) that they must fatige some.

doc