Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a street legal DRZ 400

I'm looking for a street legal DRZ in the NW. I prefer an E model so long as I can get it by the WA State gestapos. I'll take an 'S' if I have to. I have a budget of $3k. Anyone have any leads? I've been scouring craigslist.

Yeah, i've been looking in OR and ID. Haven't found anything yet within reasonable distance. I'd much prefer to have an 'e' over an 's'. I know the WSP isn't doing inspections any longer when you bring in a vehicle from out of state. That should work to my advantage. Anyone know if i'll have any problems at the DOL when they run the VIN if I do find a plated 'e' model out of state? I'm not sure I want to gamble with buying a plated out of state bike only to loose the plate as soon as i register it in WA.

Yeah, i've been looking in OR and ID. Haven't found anything yet within reasonable distance. I'd much prefer to have an 'e' over an 's'. I know the WSP isn't doing inspections any longer when you bring in a vehicle from out of state. That should work to my advantage. Anyone know if i'll have any problems at the DOL when they run the VIN if I do find a plated 'e' model out of state? I'm not sure I want to gamble with buying a plated out of state bike only to loose the plate as soon as i register it in WA.

BE OK, just make sure it has "miles" listed on it. We all know street bikes all have odometers. You keep looking, you wont have trouble finding a street plated E model already WA plated. I just sold my WA plated WR450F about 6 months ago, to a Wa resident looking for a DRZ, KTM or a WR with a plate. Just be vigilant, it will show up. You wont have to wait very long either.

Get a non-plated out of state titled bike. Have the owner sign a odometer disclosure statement stating the mileage is not actual but approximate (which is a true statement). Form is available in person only at any licensing office and is free of charge.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good tips. I found a plated 'e' in Idaho but its a LONG way from me. The guy checked the title for me and it does say 'offroad' in the description field. Dunno if that would throw up flags at the WA DOL. I guess I'll just have to be patient and hold out for that plated WA 'e' model as toyota advised.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good tips. I found a plated 'e' in Idaho but its a LONG way from me. The guy checked the title for me and it does say 'offroad' in the description field. Dunno if that would throw up flags at the WA DOL. I guess I'll just have to be patient and hold out for that plated WA 'e' model as toyota advised.

My extreme example was a 2003 Kawasaki KX250. California titled, off road use only, red sticker restricted as declared right on the title :worthy:. Went down to get ORV tabs and the title in my name and the overly helpful clerk asked if I wanted ORV tabs or a plate. I gotta tell you, it was a tough choice.:thumbsup:

I have a feeling i won't get that lucky and I'll be stuck with a bike i can't plate. I'm never that lucky.

My extreme example was a 2003 Kawasaki KX250. California titled, off road use only, red sticker restricted as declared right on the title :D. Went down to get ORV tabs and the title in my name and the overly helpful clerk asked if I wanted ORV tabs or a plate. I gotta tell you, it was a tough choice.:worthy:

Bought the grandson a brand new 2007 KTM 85SX out of state, got the MSO, took it down to title. Told them its for closed course, I didnt want any license. Well, she sais "it wont let me go past this", I said, OK, go ahead and license it. Then she goes about filling it out and ask me if its "gas or diesel", and I knew I was getting a plate. I never intalled it, but it is plated! :busted::blah::doh::thumbsup:

Bought the grandson a brand new 2007 KTM 85SX out of state, got the MSO, took it down to title. Told them its for closed course, I didnt want any license. Well, she sais "it wont let me go past this", I said, OK, go ahead and license it. Then she goes about filling it out and ask me if its "gas or diesel", and I knew I was getting a plate. I never intalled it, but it is plated! :worthy::busted::D:thumbsup:

That would only happen to you. :blah: When I went to license my wife's Gas Gas 280 they said the 280 was not in the computer system, but the 250 was. It didn't make sense to me, but I went home with license plate for the 280 which the state thinks is a 250. :doh: