Can this be done?

Can the Rebound assembly be taken apart on the Showa TC forks and can the BV assemble be taken apart. The cap to be more precise.

Reason I am asking is I would like to send then out for anodizing. The BV cap Grey, with blue bleed screws. red Rebound blue screw. Like the image below.

caps.jpg

I am assuming that these other parts are a press fit?

Wanting to finish out my 2nd Frankenstein B-kit

I'll post pics when finished. Here is what has been done so far...

Forks

Outer Tubes Anodized White like the Factory Showa A-Kits ($75)(Local)

Bottom Cones($50.00)(FC)

Kashima Floating Pistons($150.00)(FC)

DLC Sliders ($300.00 for both)http://www.casidiam.com/index.htm

Black T3 Hard Anodized Lugs ($50.00)(Local)

This would just finish it perfect. Oh ya going to use the Dell Taco inside also. My first Frankenstein B-kit, I did not try and anodize these parts.

$625 for the same basic kit that FC offers. (Minus the Kashima coated outers)

theDogger

have you a pic of the white tubes?

did they do the inner off these were the bushings run? did you have to have them polished afterwards??

The basebolt can be taken apart. I've never figured out how to get the compression adjuster out of the cap. Well, getting it out is probably easy - getting back in and making it look OEM, I think that's a problem.

have you a pic of the white tubes?

did they do the inner off these were the bushings run? did you have to have them polished afterwards??

Just hang tight! I'll post pics of the completed project. Just waiting on a B-Kit shock body.

Only the outers were whitened.

Also let me correct part of my original post about $300 for the DLC. I believe that they jacked the prices up from when I originally had 2 sets done. Rex said that a lot of their Suspension companies were bitching!:thumbsup::worthy: Go figure now they are $350 per leg and $195 per shaft.

theDogger

The basebolt can be taken apart. I've never figured out how to get the compression adjuster out of the cap. Well, getting it out is probably easy - getting back in and making it look OEM, I think that's a problem.

Can you enlighten us to how the base bolt comes apart?

theDogger

Can you enlighten us to how the base bolt comes apart?

theDogger

There's a little wire circlip around the adjuster - where you place the flatblade to turn it. If you back the adjuster all the way out, you'll see it. Once it's backed out, find a pick or something to remove the clip, then screw the adjuster in and it'll come apart.

There's a little wire circlip around the adjuster - where you place the flatblade to turn it. If you back the adjuster all the way out, you'll see it. Once it's backed out, find a pick or something to remove the clip, then screw the adjuster in and it'll come apart.

This is for the rebound bolt?

caps2.jpg

Or are you talking about the shock compression adjuster? I did not get a chance to look at it last night. But I will tonight.

Can you confirm that this is for the Rebound bolt.

theDogger

This is for the rebound bolt?

caps2.jpg

Or are you talking about the shock compression adjuster? I did not get a chance to look at it last night. But I will tonight.

Can you confirm that this is for the Rebound bolt.

theDogger

yup - fork bottom bolt......I saw your picture and understood what you were writing about.

i think the showa comp adjuster requires machining to get apart, i know enzo was making a on the fly adjuster and it requires machining.

yup - fork bottom bolt......I saw your picture and understood what you were writing about.

Ya I figured you knew what I was asking just confirming.:thumbsup:

Now just to figure out the BV:confused:

theDogger

Now just to figure out the BV:confused:

take a look at this thread where Bang asked the very same question.

Although Zac wrote, that the adjuster screw can be removed there was obviously still some doubt...

i think the showa comp adjuster requires machining to get apart, i know enzo was making a on the fly adjuster and it requires machining.

Right, but once you machine it, how do you get it back together?

It's kind of like trying to take the seal out of a steel KYB sealhead. You have to pry (for lack of a better term) the crimped-over part around the top-out bumper. Pretty easy. But getting it back together and still have a "factory" look is the issue.

Dogger - I realized I wrote "basebolt" and I think that may have been confusing. Glad to see we're actually on the same page now! :thumbsup:

i think the part around the screw is pressed in, so you have to machine that out, then make a new one, this was from a conversation on e mail a good few months ago so my memory is sketchy :thumbsup:

Ok so here is the question and I do not think that it will work but worth a try. Will the grey caps from a '08 RMZ fit the CRF Showa's? Is it not just the outer tube that is larger but the inner damper is the same?

Would solve a lot of trouble. But I would still like to know how it comes apart!:thumbsup:

theDogger

Ok so here is the question and I do not think that it will work but worth a try. Will the grey caps from a '08 RMZ fit the CRF Showa's? Is it not just the outer tube that is larger but the inner damper is the same?

Would solve a lot of trouble. But I would still like to know how it comes apart!:thumbsup:

theDogger

The Showa fork on the RMZ450 is 47mm, not 49mm.........no reason the caps won't fit.

Were they not 49mm on some of the previous years?:thumbsup:

theDogger

the really old ones were 49mm only, now all modern showas are 47mm

BTW. is it even possible to buy only the fork/BV caps?

It's kind of like trying to take the seal out of a steel KYB sealhead.

if done this once - because i didn't know better

now i know better, read: what it takes to do it and i refuse doing it - either new sealhead or i won't do anything