A Day In The GP. Ride Report W/Pics

About a year and 1/2 ago, I was layed up paralized in a hospitel bed, making out a list of things I wanted to do when I recovered.

I had already done a few things I listed that day, (and only have a few more to go!) but now I can mark one more of the list.

Ride the Juniper Ridge Trail in the GP.

I had tried to hit this trail a few times before, but it never worked out. This time everything came together, and Ken (ken74) and I had and absoulate epic ride!!!

We started out a few miles north of Trout Lake from a pullout where we parked the truck.

We headed up the 23 for a few miles and nice paved twistys. Great little warm up for the killer single track that lay ahead.

Luckley, I had found a great map online of the area that showed the trails and roads in great detail.

Here is a link

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/trailbikes/documents/trailspresent6248.pdf

We turned west on the 90 and hit the detour road that would take us up to Council Lake and the start of the Boundry trail.

Loved the way they marked the detours. We were looking for a sign, not a ribbn tied to a bush.

IMG_4618.jpg

Got a little lost but found a nice view. Would be the first of many.

IMG_4477.jpg

After a few wrong turns, we made it to Council Lake and headed west on the Boundary trail towards Juniper Ridge.

IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

I dident shoot many pics on the way to Juniper. It is a very pretty ride but the bright sun makes for bad pics when in the deep woods.

Also, you need to keep your eye on the trail, as one little mistake and you are walking out, as your bike will be 300 yards down a VERY steep cliff.

Once you hit the Juniper Ridge trail you are welcomed by some tough but fun switch backs that just keep coming one after another. Fun but a little tricky at times.

Well worth the effort as you are rewarded buy some of the best single track and scenery in the country.

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

Once at the ridge we stopped for lunch and a much needed rest.

IMG_4514.jpg

And this is what awaited us after lunch

IMG_4539.jpg

More to come soon.

I had seen many pics of this ridge over the years but nothing was like seeing it for myself. Ken was a great sport, as I was stopping all the time to shoot pics.

Every where you looked was a postcard perfect shot.

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

Ken heading out after lunch.

IMG_4530.jpg

Lame self portrait. Had to have proof I was there.

IMG_4538.jpg

After my little photo spree at the base of Jumbo Peak we went around and headed towards Sunrise peak.

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4571.jpg

Look close and you can see Ken just under the 2 trees in the middle

IMG_4580.jpg

And again down near the bottom of the pic.

IMG_4581.jpg

Mt Goat hanging out at the top.

IMG_4587.jpg

From here we turned off on the 262 and headed down towards the 23

IMG_4593.jpg

More coming soon.

Ken was a great sport, as I was stopping all the time to shoot pics.

And Dave was a good sport for being the trip photographer and not leaving my slow riding azz out in the middle of nowhere.

Note to self............don't stare at the waterfall while riding off a small cliff, again.:thumbsup:

Great so far Dave.....keep em coming.

These trails look like fun, where are the rocky cliff hanging ones that I was afraid of?

Nicely done!

Both the pics and the riding. Glad you boys had a good time and made it home safe.

Did you take those with your G9? They look good.:thumbsup:

The 262 was a nice little trail that had some nice views.

IMG_4591.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

My trusty seed

IMG_4602.jpg

After the 262 ( the rest of Juniper Ridge will have to wait till next time) we hit the 23 and went over to the Valley trail for some fun 2 track trails.

IMG_4609.jpg

From the Valley trail we headed down the 5601, a primitive dirt road that would put us out at Ollalie Lake

IMG_4613.jpg

From there it was down the 23 to a short but brutal little section of the Boundary Trail that put us right back at Council Lake.

We were pretty beat at this point and had a great cool down ride ridding the paved twistys back to the truck.

This was the first ride I had done with Ken and had a GREAT time.

Couldent have asked for a better ridding partner:thumbsup:

Thanks for the great time and memmories Ken!

Cant wait till next time.

Looks like a great ride...nice pics!

Great Stuff!

what beautiful pix, lucky you to check one off your bucket list. Though I think you'll at least have to check it off at least a couple more times!!!

Unbelievable. I've gotta get up there some day. Thanks for sharing.

Great pics as usual Dave!

We were only one ridge away part of the day...

We had a bit of an adventure.

358384354_nw5Cb-M.jpg

358388227_YLfqE-M.jpg

358392372_hbCwt-M.jpg

358398540_QPjMX-M.jpg

Later,

Nice Dave. I'm in for the next trip:thumbsup:

nice write up.. almost the exact ride we did two weeks ago, but we went the opposite direction.. looks a lot cooler for you guys.. and not as dusty

and what's the story on your ride Jmetteer? were you up on Langille?

You have a great eye with the camera! Glad you had a good ride!

Great! Thanks for sharing, too bad I couldn't take you up on the late Friday night invite you posted on BDS. Next time maybe. :thumbsup:

and what's the story on your ride Jmetteer? were you up on Langille?

Yeah, I packed the saw up to clear Langille but someone (they marked the saw cuts "A") beat me to it.

Later,

About a year and 1/2 ago, I was layed up paralized in a hospitel bed, making out a list of things I wanted to do when I recovered.

What is the story on this Dave? You have mentioned bits and pieces of it but I am curious as to what happened.

Later,

I would say "epic" is and understatement. Thank you for sharing. You have inspired me to put this on my list of things to do.

those are some amazing pics. I cant wait to ride there sometime...

Great pics as usual Dave!

We were only one ridge away part of the day...

We had a bit of an adventure.

Later,

Wow, I've ridden with you once before Jake, what kind of obstacles caused you those problems? I was thinkin of taking the kids? They did fine at Mad Lake, so I was considering the GP this weekend. Just wondering. :thumbsup: